Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage I think I'm getting numb to the hobby

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 9, 2022.

1. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

I think what Raaf is saying is, His cars are for Him. He's not trying to convert or impress anyone else. But that doesn't mean he's saying We All have to be that way. Personally, I like the attention, but if we had one of those Sci-Fi movie scenes play out, and I was the only person left on earth, I sure as hell would be driving a hot rod, even with nobody looking! (actually I'd be on a quest to liberate some abandoned choice rides from some other guys garages!) One of the best things about this Hobby is, you can do it Your Way.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Moral of the story: don't build/buy/drive boring cars. The End.

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I can make Ryan say,
    "That's rad"... :D

4. twenty8

twenty8

As I said, my comment was in no way pointed personally at you @Blues4U .
    It was more about how some need and seek the attention and accolades of "the masses", while others just get on with building and driving stuff that just makes them happy. No justification from peers needed.

It seems that vanity has a spectrum, and that's ok. We are all in this hot rod thing together. There's room for everyone...;)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  5. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Like I said I've done the high dollar show cars and collected trophies.
    Now - the trophies collect dust but time with friends and driving around is priceless.

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

That is why I try to avoid the big shows,too many people trying to build or buy what looks like what everyone else has and hit the local smaller shows where there seems to be more variety.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’m not interested in trophies they’re useless dust collectors.
    The fun comes from driving my hot rod and just enjoying it.
    If I do attend a car show I never get upset if the prizes go to someone else.
    That’s not my reason for being there. It’s about social activity more than anything.

8. Exactly! I really do not give two squirts of piss what some car show people think of my Drag Coupe, If they think they have something fast? Then lets RACE! Most do not want any parts of that when they look at the car. LOL. I do not take the coupe to many car shows, but when I do at least around here, she gets tons of attention and praise. So be it. Enjoy your hot rod, as long as it makes you happy, thats ALL that matters!

Roothawg, AHotRod, rod1 and 3 others like this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Where you gonna post your build Gimpy? I would love to see it.

10. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

don’t get me wrong. a SBC is a great power plant. but unless it’s stock in the car I’d rather have the hood closed on that vehicle. The other engines (especially if they’re stock appearing) I have much more interest in.
    my beat up 41 Cadillac… it’s surprising how many times I’ve been asked what year small block Chevy is in it. then I can open up the hood and they can see the Cadillac motor in my Cadillac. with NO chrome on it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  11. Going to the Lyons air museum car show ( I had an hour to look at the cars before they left......swapmeets first for me remember :)). It was like a time warp back to the late 90s/early 00s, but reality sunk in as I saw the same faces...just older :D( was nice to see a younger generation there in the same style attire as my generation was in the late 90s). That was a great car show for sure.....but I have to admit that I would be way more excited to run into one of those cars cruising around. Even then I would still just look and not say anything because I'm awkward.

BTW the Long Beach Model T club swapmeet was great.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    chryslerfan55 and Chavezk21 like this.
  12. Raise the stakes, bring a squirt gun and wet the folks and their cars, the cool people will laugh, the "Street Rodders" will bitch about getting their expenxive paint wet. Makes it more fun when you "Squirt Them".

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  13. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Just when I think I'm getting numb some youngster starts asking me how to fix his old car. Guess I'm kinda known for it around here. I take the time to show them and explain it. I also make them use the tools and show them the correct way of doing it. Numbness gone.

14. beater32

beater32

Id bitch too if someone did it do my car on a sunny day. Heard of paint burn?

chopped likes this.
  15. Mo rust

Mo rust

With the heat we are having this week, If someone squirted me with a squirt gun, I would dare them to do it again.

16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

It takes all kinds to keep something going for so long. The timing was bad, but our drag racing accident stopped our progression in that field, but opened up a whole new line of activities for the future. That got us started in something different and although we still had some hot rods, surf transportation and motorcycles, we were still indirectly in the game.

In looking back, the activities were a path to what was a long distance road to staying active and enjoying what So Cal had to offer us. Even when we had to sell our Flathead 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery and 58 Impala to go to college, we still kept active through art and reading the weekly Drag News. but, technically, we were out of that lively pursuit from our teens.

Jnaki
    upload_2022-7-19_5-0-44.png
    So, what does it take to put some spark back into the old hot rod, old surfing scene we started in 1960-61? Then, phased into desert motorcycle racing? The idea of staying active while doing something as strenuous as studying in college was a recipe for taking a break on the weekends and sometimes vacations. Loading up our cars for long road trips to the desert or down the coast for some pristine waves always made our day a part of total So Cal enjoyment.
    upload_2022-7-19_5-2-16.png
    But, the days were long and although we continued our surfing adventures, the hot rods finally hit the road when then they could not be modified to accommodate our young son. Many years passed and involvement in photography, skateboards, sporty cars and writing played an important part of our lives.

Family came first and then we searched for something to enhance our lives, not necessarily in the monetary sense, but satisfaction within boundaries. We stepped back completely from drag racing, hot rods and motorcycles until our family was secure again.

upload_2022-7-19_5-8-59.png

One good thing that happened was the discovery of the old 16mm color films I had taken as a teenager and now, with the magic of digital editions, we can see what was the idea of getting so involved and enjoying it to no end. The films gave us some feedback as to what we used to do back then. So, some clarity of our family life was now available to see and remember.

What to do to spark some life back? Step away to get involved in something as important as raising a wonderful granddaughter and see how that affected our lives in the past history. Then it gives you a clear picture of how we are/were treating the new lifestyle again. “In Loco Parentis” to the max and a clear insight into a great accomplishment. Seeing our lives through someone else’s eyes.

17. I went to the Minekill State Park (NY) car show Saturday, just as @Roothawg said in his opener, there were about 200 cars and only about half a dozen interesting, and I knew most of the people with the cool stuff. The swapmeet was o.k., hey it was free and 12 miles from home

My friend Bill Pine's T roadster
    upload_2022-7-19_18-2-26.png upload_2022-7-19_18-4-4.png upload_2022-7-19_18-5-0.png

You can hear the NCRS guy's heads exploding!
    upload_2022-7-19_18-6-23.png upload_2022-7-19_18-7-52.png upload_2022-7-19_18-9-47.png upload_2022-7-19_18-11-25.png

18. Neil Young says- I work for myself. The older I get, the more sense it makes!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Car shows to me have gotten ridiculous. I'd rather go to cars and coffee than to any show. That said there is a vast cross section of cars. Some are very well done, some rodent rods etc. Some are driver quality, some are 1-800. i like seeing some of the driver quality ones, honest cars that guys have built themselves. I've seen some very nicely done traditional rods as well. The best part is talking to guys about their rides. As Anthony stated seeing some of the kids in their slammed honda civics reminds me of being a kid. the whole attitude of I built it, Im going to drive it like I stole it all comes into play with that.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  20. I enjoy seeing cars I've never seen before. Like someone else said, I get ideas and find better ways to do things. But the biggest reason I go to any car event is to visit with old friends. Next biggest reason is the swap meet lol. When I go to a local show, it's the same cars every year, over and over and over.... yeah, it gets boring to me.

21. I guess we're lucky here. I'm involved in several local shows and while you do see a lot of the same cars every year, we always get enough 'new' cars to keep interest up. Not all of them are HAMB-era, but some are interesting nonetheless...

22. LAROKE

LAROKE

Being in South Florida, there are lots of options. A bunch of my buddies convoy every Saturday to a show a hundred to two hundred miles away. They stay a few hours and return. For them, it's the road trip, not the venue. The event is just an excuse for the ride.

23. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Ive never been to a Goodguys or NSRA event... I have done Autorama and I can understand how you feel.. I have seen coverages of those Goodguys and NSRA and they look like a paint by numbers class taught by an elementary school teacher named Bambi.

I enjoy the traditional shows honestly more than anything. Cars to look at that don't suck... When you hit a certain point of seeing things, and when another build from "blah blah" shop comes out with same wheels, same signature everything, its like "AND?????" Some people make a niche for themselves, never color outside the lines. I know alot of shops that are "Renowned" fall into that category. Alot of people who own those cars, want "Hey I want this car in "whatever Magazine" just "Insert color here" with "This other car in another magazine wheels"

Its all very cookie cutter, I think thanks to the shows on TV have alot to do with swaying style. You go to shows like the Roundup, its a mix of of that junk, and the fresh stuff.

When you finally find a car that makes you say, DAMN..... Its worth it, but your having to look harder cause, you have seen or done everything that makes you yawn now.

Building you get to a point where outside influences on your stuff goes away. You take all the stuff you like or learnt and pour it into your stuff. Best part is, at that point you are the one standing out not blending in like a 32 shell on a A...

Sorry for the book, I feel the same way you feel at most shows... YOU ARE NOT ALONE... Your onto the next phase where your building things people get inspired by. Go to shows, hang with your buddies and have a good time. I find shows these days more of hanging with my buddies, shooting the breeze and teaching them how to do something by showing on my ride etc or explaining how something else works etc.

AHotRod, chryslerfan55 and Roothawg like this.
  24. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

"I think this is what drew me towards the traditional car genre back in the early 90's."

IMO, many of the cars on the road are well-built by talented people, but they don't offer the interesting details of a rod built in the pre-1960's style. The traditional rods each tell a unique story.

AHotRod, chryslerfan55 and Roothawg like this.
  25. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I approve of this comment....

AHotRod, Roothawg, rod1 and 3 others like this.
  26. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Driving with some hotrods , even if it’s just a couple is the best . Partially because it’s so rare. I can’t even remember the last time people got together to cruise somewhere.

27. I’ve done that a time or two, great fun, but I also like driving by myself it gives me the time to be alone with my thoughts.

fastcar1953, AHotRod and 1oldtimer like this.
  28. Same. I feel the same way with swapmeets, I go with my girl and she knows I get distracted by piles of rust, tools, parts.......I gotta look. I feel like I'm holding someone else up because of my snails pace.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    Roothawg, chryslerfan55 and AHotRod like this.
  29. I think it also depends on the type of event you go to, fairground lawn chair type shows are boring as hell, but an event with cars being used for their intended purpose, there is nothing boring about that!!

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-and-run-grass-drags-in-round-top-ny.1270505/

30. Roothawg

Roothawg