Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I build 'em twice, to make 'em nice.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Jul 12, 2022.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yesterday I felt pretty proud of myself for (thinking) I had the wiring done in the roadster. This morning I went out and thought I'd just test everything, you know, just to be sure of my work.
    Tuned on the headlight switch. Nothing. No dash lights, no headlights. Tried the horn. Nothing. Tried the starter. Nothing. No click, no nothing.
    What the...?
    So out came the multi-meter, the gauge pod and headlight switch. Ignition switch hot. All the circuit breakers hot on both sides. Headlight switch hot. Nothing getting through though. I was kind of disheartened, because I've spent the better part of a week building and installing the original style 904D3E49-8C0E-4B53-8427-0BD7F9D4E5F5.jpeg linen wrapped wiring harness.
    First thing I checked, because it was the easiest, the horn. They were hot at the horns themselves, so the ground had to be the issue. It was, loose on the horn themselves.
    The headlights turned out to be a loose screw on the switches circuit breaker, the protected side, that has to be tightened against a contact strip on the back of the switch.
    Whew...
    The crank circuit kinda baffled me initially, because that was energized at the switch, but not at the starter. I scratched my head for a minute setting on the seat behind the wheel, then looked at the shifter. Which has a neutral safety switch. Which is adjusted by adding or removing shim washers. It had two, and the little button didn't seem to be pushed in far enough in Park or Neutral. So I took one out.
    Viola!
    It cranks. The lights come on. The dimmer switch works. The park lights work. The dash lights up. The horn blows.
    I blame the fact that you can't get help any more...:rolleyes:

ffr1222k, slim38, lippy and 22 others like this.
  2. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a feeling you never get watching TV:)

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Time consuming job.
    Years ago Cocky me,
    who has wired every car I’ve built,
    Decided I didn’t need a battery shut off.
    Went on a ride with my wife, came home pulling the car into the garage, shut the door and turn off the lights.
    Did a few small chores and suddenly got a feeling something was wrong in the garage. I entered a garage full of smoke and found my voltage regulator stuck open with paint burning off my generator. I was very lucky.
    you can bet your ass every car has a shut off now.

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Cool looking rod,,Extra love the Desoto Dash=same one [style] I put into my Full Custom Henry J,back in 1960.

AndersF, osage orange and flynbrian48 like this.

5. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

LOL...gotta love "aha" moments. Glad it all worked out.

osage orange likes this.
  6. Those pesky loose screws. Do it every time!

Ben

osage orange and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. I have a battery shut off in my avatar. It’s kept me from going insane having to get a new battery.

osage orange and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting timing on this thread. I'm in the middle of a complete rewire 12 volt conversion on my '54 Ranch Wagon. Already had a brain fart on the rear passenger side. Thought the lights were working but turns out it was the sunlight reflecting on the lens making me think they were working. Finally figured out I didn't hook up the right side wiring to the rear junction block. Haven't got to the under dash connections yet. Waiting on a firewall grommet. Hoping to not let any smoke out.:cool: But I do have a battery disconnect already installed just in case.

9. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd rather straighten out my own inability to finish the thought than figuring out someone else's total cluster fuck of wiring
    I think you did good....

10. Every car I've ever completely wired myself has always had the same gauge, and color wire(usually white). I like a challenge...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  11. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it ain’t done twice- it ain’t done right!!

Paul and osage orange like this.
  12. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

you only did it twice? I usually chase my tail multiple times.

osage orange likes this.
  13. chryslerfan55 and osage orange like this.
  14. chucka

chucka

Good on you for figuring out your wiring, certainly - - but I gotta say I totally agree with Dana Barlow. That car is PISSA!! (That's how we say it in MA) Seriously, in my book, you've hit it out of the Park!

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thanks. I had a nice parts car...:p DE4F9DCF-1B53-4670-86BB-8246F2D8AD8E.jpeg

16. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Yup, I’m doing mine over correctly this time.

17. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

well done sir...just those pesky gremlins....

flynbrian48 likes this.
  18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

0C8ED4EA-B6EC-4AD4-B891-EC2F77BA7D9B.jpeg Lights! Action! Camera! Will it start? Tomorrow we find out!

Chavezk21 and brando1956 like this.
  19. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Thats what I was gonna say, Lights!! Camera! Action!! LOL.

20. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Video please!!