Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1965 Ford F100. How do I wire the Ignition solenoid?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WhitewallWill, Jul 9, 2022.

Tags:
  1. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Help please, I'm struggling with how to wire the ignition solenoid to the alternator and starter solenoid using the connector that came with my truck. Chased to mny deadend google searches so now exasperated. No guarantee the connector is from a 1965. I have a Haywire E series wiring harness. There are 5 wires coming out of the Ford connector. 1 x green, 2 x yellow, 1 x white, 1 x white/black stripe. I've removed the old aftermarket harness so nothing original to trace. I had a no charge alternator to start off and a dog's breakfast under the dash. I've replaced the alternator and external voltage regulator. I can't figure out how to pull the connector apart without wrecking it to see what wire goes to what terminal end. Is white/black stripe the S or the F? Pics below are alternator, connectors and instructions from wiring harness.

Instructions show to run from voltage regulator:
    Ford wire colour Voltage regulator Haywire colour
    Green/red stripe I - Instrument panel Brown alternator exciter
    Yellow (2x) A - Red Terminal on alternator
    S - Black terminal on alternator (Stator?)
    F - White terminal on Alternator
    20220709_180205_resized.jpg 20220709_205416_resized.jpg 20220709_205431_resized.jpg 20220709_210734_resized.jpg

2. winr

winr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will take some pics and notes of my 65 F100 tomorrow and post them

Ricky.

WhitewallWill likes this.
  3. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

My little test light is cooked. Will pop down to store and buy another then can likely figure this out. Spent a lot of time on the Rebel thread here which is helping me to figure out what the pins on the Ford switches actually are. The tags on the Rebel thread are making life easier now that I've figured out they can be used to search.

pprather likes this.
  4. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Staring at my multi meter and the car battery in the truck - Doh, brain is deficient concerning electrical. Printed Rebel switch schematics. I swear one day this wiring will be done then I will evolve from a caterpillar to a butterfly.
    20220710_084453.jpg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022

5. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

The white wire and the white wire with black stripe both go to the stator terminal on the alternator.
    It can't go to the white terminal on the alternator if that is where the field wire goes from the voltage regulator.
    I had to do this a couple of months ago. Let me see if I can get some pictures.
    Is this a 240/300 Ford straight six?
    Are you running a electric choke 1 barrel carburetor?

6. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Hi @chessterd5. Yes it's a 240/300 inline 6. I'll be running an electric choke but, on a propane carb. I appreciate any photos you've got.

chessterd5 likes this.
  7. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

According to my connector, the wh/blk would go to the stator and the solid white would be the field and therefore would go to the white terminal on the alt.

chessterd5 likes this.
  8. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Not your typical routing. Hiding wires so you don't see from above. Starter solenoid and ignition solenoid are both mounted low under the battery. Power back from alternator to starter solenoid I have back to the (+) side constant power. Nothing to the switched (+) yet.
    20220710_134236.jpg

9. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Okay, by your picture of the alternator the red terminal is the battery cable.
    The black terminal is your stator wire.
    And your white terminal is your field wire.
    Each terminal will have a abbreviation stamped next to it in the case.
    1. Red BAT
    2. Black STA
    3. White FLD
    the battery cable goes to the battery post of the starter solenoid and the A+ terminal of the voltage regulator.

The stator terminal on the alternator will have two wires. One goes to the S terminal on the voltage regulator. The other goes to the electric solenoid to operate the electric choke. It provides 8 volts to the solenoid while running. If you hook it up to 12 volts anywhere else the choke will operate all the time.
    The field wire from the alternator goes to the F terminal on the voltage regulator.

The voltage regulator should have 4 terminals.
    1. I terminal
    2. A terminal
    3. S terminal
    4. F terminal
    The I terminal is the green wire with black stripe that goes to the exciter light in the dash
    The A terminal will have two yellow wires. One goes to the battery cable. The other goes to a radio noise suppressor.
    The S terminal goes to the STA terminal on the alternator. It is white wire with a black stripe.
    The F terminal goes to the FLD terminal on the alternator. It is a white wire.

Will you be running points or electronic ignition? This is important for knowing whether to hook up the I terminal on the starter solenoid or not.

WhitewallWill likes this.
  10. winr

winr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Thanks @chessterd5 again for all this info - very helpful.

I have a Pertronix chip in the stock distributor. Sorry, I mislead you when I said electric choke, I meant an electrically triggered manual choke - odd but, possibly because of the propane system. It ran well with this setup. I'm running the choke separately as I suspect it needs 12V given that it is manual. The 2 yellows on my connector were already spliced together from a previous owner. They are currently run to the battery side of the starter solenoid.

Starter solenoid explained in photo
    Blue is a fusable link from (+) side of starter solenoid to alt Red term
    Red (+) Bat term back to the 2 yellows on the ignition sol
    Grey (+) Bat term is another fusable link wired to the ignition switch
    Pink (-) front term goes back to coil
    Purple (+) front term goes back to ignition
    Black (-) term on side goes to the starter

Thin brown wire running beside red wire is exciter which is on I-term of ignition solenoid and runs back to instrument panel.
    20220710_182903.jpg