Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is this a Brookville roadster pickup? Update: NO. Now building 1929 roadbriolet/cabrioster pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Sep 7, 2021.

1. A quick buff and wax should bring it back!

Hamtown Al likes this.
  2. dwollam

dwollam

Paint it satin black! Worked on the roadster pickup!

Dave

Hamtown Al likes this.
  3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Al :)
    Haven't looked at your thread for a while. Stopped by to check things out. Looks like you're figuring out lots of little stuff. Good to see it coming along.

Ringer! LOL. What a nice dog.
    Congrats on the new house!
    Continued success!

4. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lookin like one-ah them thar opportunities y'all are always talkin' bout. (in my best NY, fake, southern accent);):p:D

Hamtown Al and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. Todd Wallin

Todd Wallin

Looks good, gives me some ideas for my Last Refuge RPU.

Attached Files:

6. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Todd, that looks good. Who made the bed? It sweeps at the front to match the body. My bed from Brookville did not so we had to make a panel to fill the gap to better make it flow.;)
    IMG_7168.JPG
    Thanks for sharing you pickup and please feel free to post your plans/progress on this thread if you wish.
    I'm glad to hear of another Last Refuge body... how long ago did you get yours?

7. Todd Wallin

Todd Wallin

As far as I know it's a Last Refuge bed. It does match the body curve.

hotrodjack33 and Hamtown Al like this.
  8. Todd Wallin

Todd Wallin

IMG_1447.jpg IMG_1448.jpg IMG_1448.jpg Today was prime the body and paint the frame day.

Last edited: May 29, 2022
  9. Todd Wallin

Todd Wallin

Tacked the frame together this morning. IMG_1452.jpg

10. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^Todd, glad to see that your are now rolling along!:D:D
    Thanks for sharing your progress.
    Keep workin'
    Al

11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Finally getting to fabricating the piece that will secure the back of the canvas top.
    IMG_7570.JPG
    Basically, we're making a one piece out of 1" square tubing that will bolt to the top of the rear panels of the rpu body.
    IMG_7568.JPG
    You can see here that we've matched the curvature of the tubing to match the curvature of the body. This piece will sit on top of the body and be welded to the tubing that will go across the top of the back of the body.
    IMG_7569.JPG
    Here we're going to move the tab that attaches the top to the body to the new tubing. We're also moving the pivot point straight up a half inch and forward a half inch to gain just a bit more clearance to the top of the door glass when the windows are up... can't have the window hitting the frame of the top!!:eek:
    The piece is well on the way to being completed by now and I hope to have an updates to post soon.
    An entirely different "opportunity":eek::D also reared it's head but we figured it out... I'll tell about it next time as well as what we did to fix it.;)
    Gotta run right now as I'm being paged by Ringer to take our evening walk!:D

12. Make sure Ringer gets his walk or you will have unexpected "opportunities"

Hamtown Al likes this.
  13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

The new "opportunity" arose from my great skill at overlooking someone else's "oops!":D
    I've been preoccupied with the new house and getting approval to expand the garage so haven't really had time to drive the 29 rpu. When I finally got time to sort out just how I wanted to do the top; I realized that something was definitely wrong with the brake pedal!! It was out of the deep slot we made in the floor and off to the left to the point that the brake pedal was binding against the steering column! It turns out that the shaft that held the brake pedal; which by the way we had never taken apart, did NOT have a spacer to keep the pedal to the transmission side of the shaft!:eek: My helper found the problem and got it corrected by welding a tab to keep the pedal to the right.;)
    It is back together now and should once again be ready to go.;) No more dragging the brakes because the brake pedal isn't fully returning to it's correct location!:)
    So, I suggest that each of you that purchase a project do a bit more research in this common area that is usually a no brainer as the bracket and master cylinder and brake pedal were already mounted when I got the car. I remember now the previous owner complaining about having to bend the brake pedal a bit to the right when he was putting it together... he likely forgot to include the normal spacer that would have kept the pedal in it's proper location.:eek:
    An easy mistake to make when trying to get a car ready to ship and trying to address a number of last minute details for the new owner.;)
    He's still working on the piece to hold down the back of the top. I'll get some more pictures next time.
    Thanks for your continued interest is the pickup... and the kind words for Ringer!!:D

14. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_7579 hamb.JPG
    Now we have the brake pedal back in it's correct location. We also fabbed a few more pieces to better seal the floor and eliminate some "gaps!":D
    IMG_7580.JPG
    Here you can see the effect of raising the pivot point for the top up about a half inch and also forward about half an inch. This leaves more room for the upholsterer to work his magic and also reduces the chances of a rolled up window hitting the steel frame of the top.;):)
    IMG_7582.JPG
    This highlights the relocation of the tab for the top to the tubing that will serve as the "tack strip" for the top. There are thin nylon washers under all four of the mounting points. When the top is not in use; this rail will be removed along with the rest of the top... and the tab will not be there to stick in my arm when hanging my elbow over the body.;):D
    IMG_7583.JPG
    Please ignore (and don't laugh at!:D) the Early American upholstery... it is just "temporary.":rolleyes: :DThis shows the complete fabbed piece and all four mounting points. When the top is off, we'll just drop the screws down and mount them to the top of the body.;):)
    IMG_7584.JPG
    The snaps to secure the bottom of the top will be along the tubing and the material will come down enough to cover the edge of the cab... making a clean appearance;)... I hope!:D
    Hopefully this will conclude the "opportunity" phase of the project for awhile... until it gets to the upholsterer!:eek::D
    Thanks for your continued interest.

15. ...I would never laugh at that beautiful quilt. I have 5 or 6 that were made by my maternal Grandmother that are likely over a hundred years old. They are treasures of my Appalachian heritage.

catdad49, ffr1222k, brady1929 and 5 others like this.
  16. One of my "Appalachian heritage quilts" family made years ago. Disregard the "toys" in front of it. One of my other hobbies.

Attached Files:

brEad, Hamtown Al and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. ...Beautiful!..Made your image bigger. Guitars 005.JPG

18. I understand the beauty of a RPU with the top removed and the windows rolled down.
    Just wondering, for convenience, if the top can be folded down, windows rolled down, for open air cruising?

Hamtown Al likes this.
  19. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^My top will fold down for open air cruising, Phil, but I'm planning to remove those 4 screws and take the whole thing off for open air cruising.;):)
    Unless, of course, if I'm heading out of town or the weather looks particularly frightening!:eek::D
    Also, with the top pivot tab relocated to the square tubing "tack strip;" open air cruising will not result in a potential bruise to my arm from the tab if the top, etc. are removed.;):D You know I'll be hanging my arm out over the door when I'm "profiling!":D:D
    IMG_7585.JPG
    A trip to the hardware store found these plastic knobs for the door latches which I think will work well.:)
    Cheap, too!;):D

catdad49, chryslerfan55, atch and 5 others like this.
  20. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_7586.JPG
    Looks like the garage will be long enough to be a new home.;)
    Fun to drive.:) I like the bed mostly hiding the 32 gas tank at the rear.:)
    We're starting on the garage this week... I hope!
    Guys are supposed to start sanding the floors of the house today.

catdad49, hotrodjack33, brEad and 3 others like this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I like that a lot Al, now, about that shifter!:eek:

22. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_7589.JPG
    We got a working speedometer!! Actual is 38 MPH when speedo reads 40.;)
    I took y'all with me!!:D:D
    No more guessing about mileage.:)
    Now to get the oil pressure gauge working that came with the set.:eek: Mismatched gauges are traditional; ain't it?!:eek::D
    Need to tone down some of the brightwork, too.;)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  23. HA!! Mileage??? My Nailhead gets about 10 mpg with 93 octane, 3.70 gears.......have your credit card handy at all times!!

Hamtown Al likes this.
  24. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Sorry fellas for the long delay in updates but there haven't been any to report as the upholstery has been delayed by my determination to get the dang garage working!
    Then, about 10 days ago, I decided to move the 29 rpu and take a spin over to the other house... and it would not start!!
    Dang!
    And it has been running so well! Realized the likely culprit was the Pertronix module after I replaced the coil with no change.:mad::D
    Turns out I have a 1181 LS module which does NOT use a magnetic ring in the cap!! I didn't know they made such a beast!
    Anyway, a new one is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.;)
    I'll keep ya posted... hopefully a little more frequently!!:D
    Here are pictures of the garage getting shingles Monday and Tuesday.
    IMG_7731.JPG
    IMG_7732.JPG

Budget36, hotrodjack33, brEad and 5 others like this.
  25. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Well, I got a nice text from UPS that they delivered my package to the front door... I'm sure they did deliver it,,, somewhere!!! I drove my street from end to end and checked every front porch within 15 minutes... nothing!!
    I immediately started sending up red flags to UPS and to Pertronix but no reply thus far.:(
    Opportunities!!:D:D

26. Hope it surfaces, Al.

27. I got one if you cannot find it.

28. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_7743.JPG
    IMG_7741.JPG
    IMG_7742.JPG
    It looks like the 36 Fordy fits!!
    I might take you up on that module, Bill.:) I'm hoping somebody realizes the delivery error but I'm not getting my hopes up.:( Advance has a new 1181 regular hanging on the wall. These 1181 LS modules are different. The LS stands for "lobe sensing" I think.
    Opportunities!:D
    At least we didn't get blown away!! So sad about all the destruction in FL and other places.:( I hope they at least get the power and water systems back up quickly. Attaboys all around for the guys and gals pitching in to help those that suffered so much loss.;):)

brEad, seadog, hotrodjack33 and 4 others like this.
  29. I have the LS and a matching Flame Thrower coil still in the boxes. Bought for my 401 rebuild which is in progress. You know how to reach me.

30. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now THAT'S a heck of an improvement considering what you started with:D.
    Busy AL;):D