Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical WHICH PERTRONIX COIL SHOULD I BE USING?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 19Fordy, Jul 5, 2022.

1. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I am hoping that a fellow HAMBER can help me as I called Pertronix today but couldn't get through and talk to a real person. Several years ago I converted my Mallory YL 2527501 mechanical advance dual point distributer to electronic using the Pertronix kit ML-181. At that time I was told to use the Pertronix Flamethrower coil 40001 with 1.5 ohms primary resistance. I installed this coil without using a ballast resistor. However, I keep wondering if I should instead be using the Flamethrower coil with the 3 ohm primary resistance OR should I be using a 1.5 ohm ballast resistor with the 1.5 ohm coil I am currently using? I am confused.
    Your old posts are solid gold. THANKS, JIM in FL

2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had one in my coupe for 8 years. I used a cheap stock coil and eliminated the ballast resistor. Worked great

olscrounger likes this.
  3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Didn't think Pertonix used a ballast resistor.

4. Jim, has been "several" years and all is well? Don't think I would worry. Ballast resistor not needed with electronic ign, I believe. I don't use one.

Ben

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Thank you Ben, saltflats and hrm2k for your replies.

6. 1.5 ohms with no ballast resistor is correct.

7. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

1.5 ohm for V8 and 3 ohm for 6 cylinders

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

THANK YOUbrian.

9. 1.5 will be fine but look up some of Jim’s old posts. Don’t use the flamethrower but instead use the Bosch unit.

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

It seems that the BOSCH blue coil comes in many applications and there are many opinions as to where it should be used. There are several variations of what is commonly referred to as the Bosch Blue Coil . This can be misleading.
    The Pertronix people say that only a 1.5 ohm primary resistance coil should be used with their ML-181 conversion kit. The 3 ohm Bosch coil is not recommended. Have a look here:
    https://hot-spark.com/coil.htm
    and here:
    https://www.ratwell.com/technical/BlueCoil.html
    and here:
    https://vwparts.aircooled.net/12V-Bosch-Blue-Coil-with-Mounting-Bracket-00-012-p/00-012us.htm

11. I don't remember which one it was but I do know it was the 40,000 volt. HRP

12. Well......it really depends on which Ignitor module you have.......Pertronix uses 3 different coil resistances......mine is the older, first design and it calls for 1.5 Ohms on 12 volts, no resistor. The PII and PIII units call for other resistances. Unfortunately, they now get their coils from China, so........Caveate Emptor ruless the day........

Montana1, wraymen and warbird1 like this.
  13. Agree, This is what I found.
    92DFE42D-F309-4B67-B374-797F4122CA80.gif

Jalopy Joker and bobss396 like this.
  14. Looks like yours ML-181 is an Ignitor so it would use the 1.5
    9ML-181 is an ignitor II
    7ML-181 is an ignitor III
    Another thing to remember about the first one. Don’t leave your key on for more than a short period, it can burn it out. II and III have some sort of protection built in.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022