Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Been To A Drive-In Lately?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shift Wizard, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cheap battery operated AM-FM radio either new or from the thrift store. This one was 3.95 at Goodwill aa few years ago and I play it a lot when I am out working on something. It takes 4 C cells to run on batteries. The sound isn't any better than an old drive in theater speaker though. IMG_4787 (2).JPG

I don't know if there is a drive in theater left in Central or Eastern Washington but the Blue Fox is still going strong up on Whidbey Island at Oak Harbor. https://www.bluefoxdrivein.com/ Maybe because they have a lot of young Navy families close by that can work the drive in in their budget.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Oh, yeah!

3. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-7-3_4-7-9.png

Hello,

After being almost the drive-in capital of the world, So Cal has closed so many due to rising land usage cost and I suppose greed. For most of the teenage crowds, it was a fun gathering place. Over time, it got too strict for the old time feeling.

So, now the land that once had so many huge screens is commercial real estate offices and stores. so, those old memories of seeing the communities along the coastal highway and freeways were predicated by those large screen sightings while driving to our destinations.

By the side of a highway or freeway, it was fun to see the movie playing while driving by the locations. from Goleta near Santa Barbara down to San Juan Capistrano near the Ortega Highway area... they were giant screens all along the road trip adventures.

Jump up to the current pandemic time period and there are pop up drive in theaters to satisfy or attempt to satisfy the urge to go to a drive-in theater. But, the locations are crowded, the screens are small and the atmosphere is no where near the feeling from the days of old. But, it is an attempt.

There are several counties in So Cal that have had outdoor drive-in theaters set up in big parks, commercial parking lots and areas that would not create a hazard for those living nearby.
    upload_2022-7-3_4-7-59.png
    The photo above is one in Paramount, CA. it is a stone’s throw from the old North Long Beach/Bellflower cruising grounds. The tie in with the 50’s feeling of old is noted in the company logo… a custom 1950 Ford. This is a close to the real thing from past experiences. At the last vestiges of the old drive-in theaters, a car’s radio was used, so the old speakers did not have to be used. Now, there is FM radio sound and a laser projection for upgrades.
    upload_2022-7-3_4-8-36.png
    The use of old cruisers is used in the advertising.

The other locations have different draws. One is near Anaheim Angel Stadium and looks as if it is a large pop up screen and set up. It looks similar to a giant outdoor rock concert stage.
    upload_2022-7-3_4-9-18.png

Jnaki

For us old folks, the large screen TV monitor in our house shows some nice shows and movies in our own quiet settings with outstanding sound. All in the privacy/comfort of our own house. So, for us, there is no comparison. Our time at the “real” drive-in theaters was something to write about and remember through our memories. History was/is a part of life.
    upload_2022-7-3_4-12-47.png

4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  5. fuzzface

fuzzface

there is 1 located not far from me in Jefferson Wi., just up the street from where they have the Jefferson swap meet but I have never been there for an actual movie or should say double feature because that is what they play at a time.

6. I remember the Skyway drive-in here in Anderson, it belonged to a gentleman that owned a movie theater in town so he was able to show first run movies at the drive in.

Toward it's end the owner refused to show X rated movies like the other two drive-in's and sold the property to K-mart.

By 1972 all three were gone. HRP

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  7. My car will see many drive ins, never been to one that i can remember, might need to upfit an AM/FM radio that looks factory, keeping the original knobs, glass, and faceplate, of course...

chryslerfan55 and Driver50x like this.
  8. Driver50x

Driver50x

9. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Good news - the Smith's Ranch Drive-in in 29 Palms, CA has reopened. Although they had projector trouble last Saturday night, it should be OK by this weekend.
    https://www.drivein29.com/

10. Thankful that we still have a working drive-in in the town I live in. I haven’t been yet this year, which reminds me that I need to be better supporting it.

https://www.beacondrive-in.com/

11. LAROKE

LAROKE

12. ahshoe

ahshoe

We had one many years ago in now would be the center of town.They tore it down for a shopping center. But you know how brick and mortar stores are doing so yep they tore down the shopping center. So now a vacant lot. Just the way it used to be. So what comes around goes around so maybe.... Hummm.... Build a drive-in there again....Oh and ban cell phones upon entering so the young ones car see what real entertainment was....is?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022