Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 331 Hemi to overdrive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Busted Knuckles, Jul 2, 2022.

1. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

My 52 F1 Ford truck has a 331 hemi with the stock Ford truck 4 speed adapted to it.
    What's the easiest way to get a T5 to go behind it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2022
  2. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wilcap shows one (I think) half way down the page. Also “out of stock”. Probably worth a phone call. Seems to me I heard something about back orders and them moving/sold ? Hopefully someone who knows will chime in.

A 331 is probably right against the torque limit for any T-5. Might look into that and the TKO series.

https://www.wilcap.com/Hemi.html

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The simple way is to buy the adapter plate that bolts the T-5 to the ford hogshead.
    Like this one I bought from Dwight Bond several years ago
    [​IMG]

That bolts to the Ford truck hogshead off the 4 speed like this. This is the wrong adapter that came with my engine and was sold to another Hamber.
    [​IMG]

This being the 4 speed with hogshead attached out of a 52 F-1 chassis I had.
    [​IMG]

The rest of it is clutch disk to fit the trans, sleeve for the throw out bearing on the trans, pilot bushing to fit engine to trans and the usually hook up a T 5 to something it didn't come on steps.

This adapter doesn't fit the S-10 T-5 but fits the Mustang T-5 . https://www.moderndriveline.com/sho...ad-truck-hogs-head-to-ford-t-5-adapter-plate/ Puts the shifter back against the seat or further though. You can swap shift towers but that may be a lot of work and trouble for a slightly stronger trans.

Almostdone likes this.
  4. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

5. deucemac

deucemac

When I bought my adapter from Patrick at Wilcap, I also bought some Hot Heads things from him. He told me that they had an agreement that they sold his adapters through Hot Heads and he sold their Hemi items through Wilcap. Which makes me think that if Wilcap is out, unless Hot Heads has stocked up, they might be out also.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  6. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

I believe they are one and the same as well. Every time I turn around, an item is backordered with a 14+ week wait time, so that doesn't surprise me.

7. deucemac

deucemac

They aren't one and the same. They are separate companies as Wilcap makes many adapters and Hot Heads is hemi only. But, they work together on adapters and hemi stuff. Interesting is that when Patrick bought Wilcap from the Capana family, he originally bought it for the machine tools. Once he realized what was there, he combined his operation with the Wilcap operation and has greatly helped lots of out with quality parts.

8. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

I was referring to the adapter.

9. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you already Open rear drive? Are you stuck on a T-5? Are you aware of the 3+1 stuff in Chrysler, GM as well as Ford? This is all Chrysler, uses a Hurst shifter and is overdrive. Unit goes in my 53 F-100 and the handle clears the Stock Seat by a mile.
    20171008_080605.jpg

10. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Yes It's open drive. I'm listening

11. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

They came in '70s Aspens and Volares, as well as '80s Chevrolet 2WD trucks. The Chevy version had two different bolt patterns; one that was the usual GM pattern, and a transsexual one that was GM on one side and Chrysler on the other.

12. I had one, and a friend is using the Mopar one behind his 440 in International pickup. They are 4 speed transmissions, so to accommodate that, the ratio spread is wide. Third gear is 1:1, then 4th is the overdrive. They are available in aluminum and iron cases. Search for A883 overdrive or MY6, which was GM option code?

13. The A833 overdrive came in some dodge trucks as well.

14. These are often passed over for newer 5 speeds, I don't get it. As mentioned above even Ford made a version of this. In the right combination of parts it's a simple nut and bolt system yet guys will spend Big $$$ on adapters, change to aftermarket high torque starters and live with a Shift Handle in the wrong place that Looks like it should be in a Toyota and call it Old School Kool. All this for overdrive economy? If you're building a pre 65 Hot Rod it's supposed to have a 39 Swan handle or a Chrome Flat side HURST shift handle in it, PERIOD! I don't get it. If you lived it you know it. Us Old Guys can pick out a Dreamer, Counterfeit Wannabe without talking to ya by just a couple parts on your total package.

Busted Knuckles likes this.