Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Shades of Past,Last year?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.A.KING, Jun 28, 2022.

1. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Just heard rumor that this will be the last year for the shades??Anyone else heard that?
    Just rumor ??

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

3. hotrodfords

hotrodfords

4. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Hate to hear that.

5. unforgiven

unforgiven
    from East Tn

That sucks. I have always liked that show even when it was in the field

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn. I'm glad I'm going this year.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Yep. They used to call it “The Greatest Show on Grass”. Lol.

8. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Never been, looks like I'll never get to now.:(

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  10. I got fed up with the show several years ago and quit going, I had been going ever since the shades of the past started but after a gentleman had a heart attack set up next to us I made a mad dash down to where the shades guys were sitting and explained the situation and we needed to get the man's wife in to pick him up, they rudely told me that no non show cars could come in so I went back, loaded him in our wagon and took him to his wife sitting and waiting in the spectators parking lot.

When I got to her she gave him a nitroglycerin pill and took him to the hospital, later that night I got a call and he was resting well.

Bottom line, it just seemed like the SotP guys are not interested in anything that was not putting money in their pockets, and again that's just my opinion. HRP

11. It's a big event that I've never attended. Any comment as to whether I should try to get to the final one?

12. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I have gone probably 10 times in the last 25 years Phil. The last time at Dollywood a few years ago. There are plenty of nice cars,cruising and much touristy attractions in the area to satisfy everyone.
    You seem to enjoy yourself no matter where you go,why not give it a try ?
    Oh did I mention BBQ? :D

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  13. I can recommend Bennett's BBQ and Old Mill has the best corn chowder I have ever eaten, the food ain't bad ether! :) HRP

14. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Sorry to hear that best outdoor car show in the country.

15. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

We never made it to the show or to the rod run either. Just always rent a cabin and walk the strip looking at cars, trying to sell a car, or just hunting a nice place to eat. Lot's to choose from on that. Old Mill is a staple. I hope it doesn't affect the amount of cars in town for that 3 week period. It will some though, I bet.

16. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

I have been going since I was very young...my family would all go every yr. Its sad they are calling it quits. I thought it was the club guys are getting up there in age and cant do it anymore. I hope someone will take it over. I plan on still going to pigeon forge that week with or without that show..I enjoyed the strip more than I did the show lately.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. Looks like a show in Nashville in September is going to try to sort of carry on the tradition. I think Alloway is involved and it sounds so far, pretty cool. Maybe someone can find the link?

Just Gary and jim snow like this.
  18. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

24FDC0E4-43CB-4CE9-9789-67BAE024AE46.jpeg
    Im guessing this is the one you’re talking about. This is a shot from Alloway’s Instagram page. This looks to be geared more towards the modern rodding crowd, but maybe it will still pull in some hamb friendly stuff.

19. ^^^That's it, Thanks^^^^

ronzmtrwrx likes this.
  20. At least there is a large enough parking lot outside the track to hold the trailers.
    No thanks.

21. larry k

larry k

Most of them big shows and runs are full of them guys with show cars that live in trailers ,and they got that , just look at what I own attitude, so I should win a pro’s pick trophy !!!

BILL LUPIANO and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. BILL LUPIANO

BILL LUPIANO
    BANNED
    from Canada

X2!

23. .........GEEZ, guys, the show hasn't even happened yet and you're already condemning it. Yeah, I'm certain there will be lots of trailered cars, that's a foregone conclusion, but I'm pretty sure there will be a good turnout for home-built, driven cars as well. I think it's great that in the current world we live in someone is willing to step up and try to fill the huge void left behind when the "Shades" ended its' long run. Give it a chance and whether you attend or not, judge it then. I for one, am happy to see that it's even going to take place.

24. larry k

larry k

NO.!!!!. but thanks anyway !!!