Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Adventure of a Boy and His Edsel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Interesting. I am hoping this radiator that we ordered works well. Several guys in the social group mentioned that they had good luck with them and the price was pretty reasonable for a radiator that looked fairly original as well. Anyway, I suppose I will report back on fit and function once we get it installed.

2. Yeah, but remember he's working on a car that was built quite some time ago. I've had mid 60s cars that needed a spring in the lower radiator hose. Never saw a need for one in the upper hose though.

3. And, to report back on the spring in hose question...I do remember pulling the one out of the lower hose I pulled off and putting it in the new one when we put the new water pump on or when we had the radiator fixed...I think. :rolleyes:

4. Radiator at least appears to be good quality. Will see if it fits well and cools better tomorrow since it will be 102 or so... Flushed the system with vinegar and distilled water this evening and am letting it sit before we dump it tomorrow.

0F4614B7-3C94-4A20-BA70-E5795D7F9D90.jpeg

Okie Pete, Sancho, Tim and 3 others like this.
  5. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

That looks nice. Hopefully it’ll be a direct fit.

It would be a good idea to flush with water also after the vinegar. Would hate to leave some in the system and damaged that new rad over time. I’ve read a few post where some people even add a little bit of baking soda to the rinse water.

Thor1 and guthriesmith like this.
  6. Flushed it out this morning with distilled water and pulled the old radiator out. Did some comparison and appears to be an exact bolt in! Anyway, almost back in now.

B5447127-40D0-456A-888F-78A09D4C230B.jpeg 3459CFC6-01C6-4A48-A7B5-8C60C2838CBB.jpeg
    9412C322-E32D-4B56-BE76-ADAEC5891853.jpeg

7. If you're still thinking of adding a fan shroud, I wonder if a round, plastic trash can could be "dissected" and made into something workable. Of course you'd have to consider the diameter of the can and the fan blade but it could easily be cut to the desired depth. Get one in black and it might even sorta, kinda look like an O.E. piece (if you don't mount it with duct tape :p). Probably around $20 to $30 at one of the Big Box stores, I'm thinking.

8. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Glad it was a direct fit. Making the boy sweat it out in the sun lol. It’s a 100 here in Dallas today.

guthriesmith likes this.
  9. If we make a shroud, I’ll either fold something up at work out of steel or make one out of fiberglass. It’s nice working at a manufacturing place where I have access to a waterjet, brake, etc. And, I have made lots of stuff out of fiberglass as well. Thanks for the idea though. :) Actually hoping it cools well enough now without a shroud even.

10. You'll see how it goes. We used to make shrouds from chimney flashing for the stock cars. If it got crunched, it wouldn't take out the Caddy radiator. I have one in my Ford from Summit, meant for a Chevelle. It took a lot of work to get it in place.
    914-025.JPG 914-027.JPG 914-028.JPG

Jeff Norwell, Sancho, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  11. While you’re at it, I could use a shroud for my 39..

bobss396 and guthriesmith like this.
  12. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    guthriesmith likes this.
  13. Even if you don't need a shroud for improved cooling, it looks like it might still be a good idea to put some kind of a guard over at least the top of the fan blade. Something to help keep hands,cables, tools, hoses, etc. out of harms way.

14. Well...next on the list was to try to figure out the smoke screen problem. We tried to put new valve seals in last night on the passenger side where the smoke was and everything appeared reasonable until the back cylinder. Couldn’t even really hold the valves up with compressed air to remove the keepers. And, the plug was completely oil fouled. Guessing we have broken rings or something. :( Looks like we will be swapping motors soon to the 312 I have sitting in the shop. That wasn’t my plan for that motor, but rebuilding this one would cost quite a bit and have the car apart for too long. More to come...

142D95ED-82B5-45C7-AB4D-8ECD9CE66D68.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  15. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I hear FE's pretty much install themselves in Fords of that era. Mileage shouldn't really be any worse, but it would provide a huge improvement in torque to get that beast rolling. Just a thought!

Devin

Thor1 and guthriesmith like this.
  16. Sounds like a good idea other than I don’t have an FE laying around. :D We discussed swapping to something besides another y-block, but I happen to have this 312 that is supposed to be a good runner just sitting in the shop. So, it will be the cheapest and easiest to deal with as best I can figure. :)

Oh, and this car actually gets around 17 mpg with the 292, so not too terrible surprisingly.

Okie Pete, Tim, Sancho and 4 others like this.
  17. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

I havnt tried it yet. But my older buddy said it works sometimes. The 20 minute overhaul.

Use an
    Old oil can. About 1/3 trans oil. Two table spoons of Bon ami and add a cup hot water. Hold engine at about 2000rpm and pour down the carb VERY slowly stop and stirring mixturE as you pour……WillSmoke like hell… but will clear up….if it works

Might be worth a try, I could see it working if your fighting some stuck rings.

firstinsteele, Thor1 and guthriesmith like this.
  18. Poor Ruth...

guthriesmith likes this.
  19. Yea, Ruth mainly needs a transmission. But, I also have another 312 that I will likely freshen up now to replace the 292 in her. She will be fine. :D

Sancho, 41 GMC K-18, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  20. The 312 sounds like a great swap. Is the 312 a four barrel? Should be a good runner.

21. Yes, it is a 57 4-barrel motor out of a wagon. It should be a little step up from the 2-barrel 292.

22. Look on the bright side, you will have a weapon against the skeeters this summer. :D:D

23. Pulled the transmission and all the accessories off the 312 so we can start getting it cleaned up and ready to put in. Also ordered some new motor mounts and need to order a gasket kit as well. Slow progress... :)

803274A9-8511-4D33-8C6C-BADB3D7F070B.jpeg

24. And, for anyone wondering why we are using the 312 that was slated for my 56 in the Edsel, you can see the 56 312 that will now get freshened up for my car circled in the pic back by the wall. :cool: I will actually end up with a correct year 312 now for Ruth.

801A25FB-62C7-4931-8246-C74001A0B5A8.jpeg

Okie Pete, brEad, bobss396 and 7 others like this.
  25. Rebuilt! Well...new paint anyway... It does appear this motor is pretty fresh. Plugs looked great and someone spent the time to detail lots of stuff like painting bolt heads, and even highlighting all the casting numbers white on the red motor. Taking somewhat of a gamble, but mainly just cleaning it up to stuff it in. More tomorrow hopefully. :D

07A9369A-33C8-49DF-8B8E-F47D889D5118.jpeg 4A5C42B4-C7FE-4261-BB7E-D61F975F0BB5.jpeg D0C05121-01AB-4322-B78A-BEDEF7A9B257.jpeg 0B1696DC-222E-46A1-8F47-E7B85D3448CA.jpeg

26. One last pic for the night since pinky is poised and ready for the transplant. It has been a long night after a long day at work. Feels like the way I used to work when I was Silas’s age. Pretty sure it will catch up with me more now. :oops: Hope to get the 292 out tomorrow and finish getting this ready to go back in.

751C4873-5D91-40B4-ABFA-8757CD4B2BEB.jpeg

27. Well, not as much happened today as planned. I had to take my other son down to Texas to look at a daily driver. So, I was gone all day today. However, Silas did go chase down most of the gaskets we needed since local parts stores can’t even order most of them anymore. Thankfully, Silas works for Sid Drapal of Nostalgia Sid’s and he has a good stock of y-block gaskets stashed away. Also, Silas cleaned up the intake and manifolds and painted them today as well as a few other parts while I was gone. I guess we will try to get the 292 out tomorrow after church.

6E152AE8-2416-4C99-A703-6594D638FB83.jpeg

28. Nice going. Round up some help and I bet by the end of the day you could have the 312 sitting in the car.

29. Yep, other than Silas may want to clean up and paint the engine compartment. That may add another day or so to the swap. We will see how today goes. Oh, and it is supposed to be 106 today, so that slows at least me down a bit. :oops:

brEad, Okie Pete, drdave and 6 others like this.
  30. Yeah, 106 would keep me between the inside AC and the pool... best to pace yourself in the heat.

WhitewallWill, Thor1 and Sancho like this.