Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical help me find this color on a production car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jun 20, 2022.

1. This is why I said in my previous post that trying to get an accurate color match from an online sample is a "fool's errand". There are way too many variables involved.

Your monitor or the display on your phone or tablet are not likely to be calibrated or accurately adjusted for color, brightness and contrast. Your eyes will percieve colors differently when they are viewed under different lighting conditions (open daylight, daylight on an overcast day, artificial lightning, flourescent, incandescent, mercury vapor, halogen). Web browsers can interpret colors differently. Firefox, Opera, Explorer and Chrome may all treat colors a bit differently. Even individual web sites and image hosting services can have their own methods of dealing with colors.

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Even when you find a factory color, it can vary from one paint supplier to the other, and may not be a perfect match. And going to a decent paint supplier and having the paint scanned can be hit and miss. I had a car painted GM Stealth gray, which is an almost black metallic gray used on Chevy cars and trucks. Problem was when I needed a touchup repair the paint shop told me the cars and trucks used two different shades, with one being darker. So he sent me to the paint supplier to have my car scanned with their fancy tool. I brought the printout back, and he mixed it according to their paperwork with his computer controlled mixing system. Shot it on a test panel, and held it next to my car and the color and shade were both way off. He finally just mixed up the two different stealth Gray colors and figured out it was the darker of the two.

3. bchctybob

bchctybob

^^^^ and that’s why I’ve spent $600-700 on various quarts of paint over the last year or so. We’ve tried to make informed choices but each one missed the mark. It sounds silly but it beats painting the car and finding out you don’t like the color. I’ve done that and I sure don’t want to do it again.

Roothawg likes this.
  4. They don't vary by paint supplier unless they can't mix paint properly. Pretty much every colour sprayed on factory vehicles will have colour variants depending on what factory it comes out of. Some factory colours can have as many as 12 different variants. That is why paint suppliers have hundreds of variance decks so you can take them out to your car and put the color swatches of all the variants of that colour up to your vehicle to check exactly which colour you need. A good body shop should have them as well so they can match the factory colour.

Tman likes this.
  5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Roothawg I PM'ed you a Disgustingly OT 911 VW, Carrera that is very close. No idea of it was a factory "farbe"

Roothawg and Moriarity like this.
  6. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I'm probably way off, but I am old and wear glasses... but 2016 Ford Silver Metallic Mist.
    IMAG0008_resized[9592].jpg

Roothawg and Bandit Billy like this.
  7. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

1965-ford-ppg colors.jpg

Color Comparo.jpg 65 Ford "green" was in my mind's eye really close, but no, upon further examination honey gold is a ways off. Oddly the goofy Honduzi colorlooks about right. YMMV.

Call it a fool's errand all you want, but it's an issue that cuts across all color applications. You have to tackle reflective color versus monitor color at some point. I'm in the ad agency biz and color is a constant, ongoing point of discussion with our artists, clients and vendor reps. Then consider that the truth is each of our brains interprets color in its own way. It's like your fingerprint or the color in your eyes. Unique to you. I can hold two reds side by side and see a match while my client sees one is more orange than the other. Much like the wife in this case, client wins.

8. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Like Squirrel said, find a car with he color on it to get the true value and hue. You need to see it on a CAR not a Chip there is a world of difference and with the cost of paint material today could be a costly mistake. Also the color of the sealer will make a difference in the Color.

ClayMart, Sky Six and Roothawg like this.
  9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Looks like green envy to me.:p

Roothawg likes this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yep, but you have to have a starting place. That’s why I try and narrow it down. I don’t want 35 used car salesman hounding me. I try and find one that is close and stop at the car lot on a Sunday.

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Not telling you what to do, but green is not what I would do on a custom. Only exception would be a bright lime green.

I get it, you don’t want red or black. Myself, I’d go with a bright blue, like used on Ford and Dodge pickups. I think Ford calls it flame blue.

But that’s my two cents, with inflation, probably not worth a damn thing!

12. pigIRON63

pigIRON63

It looks real close to VW cyber green. The 1950 Ford shoebox in the video below is painted this color. The car is featured at around the 5 minute mark.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

It is going to be impossible to do this with a computer.

It will even be hard to do it with a car. Sun exposure changes paint appearance over time, and there is no way of knowing if any or all of the car has been re-sprayed.

14. KKrod

KKrod

FrameRailBelowDoor.jpg Similar colors have used since the first metallic paints in the 1930's. Here is a similar color on the Jimmy Summers Merc although the photo is faded. I think it was popular around 1949 on some rods and customs. My '32 Ford was once painted with this color in the 40's or early 50's. 40Merc1.jpg 40Merc2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    Tman likes this.
  15. pigIRON63

pigIRON63

Although the color may not show up exact,
    It's a good way to build a data base of manufacturer codes and paint names. These can be used for reference at the paint store.

Roothawg likes this.
  16. I don't think the Hirohata merc is a good example. The colors are very loud while being a subdued green... just my opinion.

I do think you're right about colors. I have a channeled A roadster built in the late 50's. It's a beautiful sapphire blue, that I will need to recreate when it comes time to paint it. You gotta pick something from the time period.

Moriarity and Roothawg like this.
  17. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am a geek for info. I see a car that I like the color on, I figure out what it is, then I hit paintref.com and get the code. I keep all of these in my I-phone notes section. That way I don't have to remember what it was. I have pages of these. I try and group them by color, as best I can.

color codes.jpg

ClayMart and Just Gary like this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My total Photobucket album got wiped out for some reason so I can't dig up my photos but had to hunt down' Paul Harpers Caddy that is lime green off the net. Just as every car he has built has been the colors are correct for a custom of a certain era and not put on to scream look at me, the actual work on the car does that without a wild paint job. I got to see the Hirohata clone last year at Hotrod-Arama and it caught my attention from 100 yards away. I had taken indoor photos of it before but had never seen it out in the light. I've taken hundreds of photos of black, midnight blue and dark maroon cars in the past 50 years that when I looked at the photos later all the details of the car were lost in the dark paint. Paul Harper cadillac.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2022
    Roothawg likes this.
  19. Poverty cap

Poverty cap

The way I would do it is pick a color that you like and have some mixed up. I only have experience with PPG, often you can get a half of a pint of DBC base coat, Omni a pint is usually the smallest amount I can buy. Spray a panel, clear it see if it works, look at it strait on and from a angle, or the flop to see if looks like what your after, you can use it for a first coat if you use a different green. I know there’s lots of different ways to do this and many brands of paint to do it with this is just the way I would do it.

20. dearjose

dearjose

I call bullshit on this. IMO the best customs are the understated ones with oem colors as opposed to the " hey look at me" loud obnoxious ones. But that's just me. I like smooth lines, low key style, understated designs. The chevy Ryan posted today is a perfect example.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2022
  21. dearjose

dearjose

These are the customs I dig. But to each their own.

Roothawg likes this.
  22. I'll post this discretely then quietly slip away from the keyboard.;)
    20180125_155512.jpg 83086849_10218732425695374_8348387598367981568_n.jpg 83192391_10218716841065768_6672854748061761536_n.jpg dillinger 99.jpg Goodguys-Columbus-car-show206.JPG olive 51.jpg olive merc 50.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2022
    X38, Roothawg and Moriarity like this.
  23. Paulz

Paulz

Check out Subaru Jasper Green metallic.

Just Gary and Roothawg like this.
  24. Roothawg

Roothawg

25. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

@Moriarity, I consider you to be the custom guru extraordinaire here but the silver grey metallic Fleetline is just absolutely perfect.

Dan Hay and Roothawg like this.
  26. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I seen a 2013 Ford Edge with a color called ginger ale that's similar to your sample.

Roothawg likes this.
  27. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yep. I saw one in town the other day. It’s close.

big duece likes this.
  28. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

It might have a bit more gold in it than what your after.

29. B1gDaddy

B1gDaddy
    from aladambama

woof! Whoa , who could just pass this by ?
    I think it’s the Chevrolet 1968 camaro color. A little more green than 1966 mosport. It also needs to be painted in lacquer to get the “glow” not a base clear of glazed ham

Roothawg likes this.
  30. fleetside66

fleetside66

I'll second that.

Roothawg likes this.