Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1948 Chevy pickup ignition switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AB6DO, Jun 20, 2022.

1. AB6DO

AB6DO

Trying to find a 4 position, key start ignition switch. I have tried a universal type switch but will loosen up and the whole switch rotates. Any one else had this problem?

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

So you want a lock/off/run/start ignition switch? Have you looked into a 1955-56 Chevy car unit? (maybe 55-59 truck works that way as well?)

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I almost made a liar out of myself but by gum Chevs of the 40's sells what you want. https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detai...witch_With_Start_and_Accessory_Positions.html
    It uses the original key and lock cylinder and bracket for the stock switch. I'm assuming that the plate with the two holes to fasten it to the bracket threads on the switch and the ring in the photo is the jam nut. Cool enough and something that I flat did not know existed. I've got to book mark that one.
    The cheaper way would to just use a good push button starter switch and maybe hide it. My truck had stock switch and push button for the starter when I bought it in 1973.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  4. The 55-6 Chevy switch is a good universal switch. Works real good with 53-4 works with the pickups. I’ve used them in model A and 32 Ford also.

5. Belle53

Belle53

I don’t have that problem , I install them correctly. Did you just drill a big hole for it and not notice the switch has flat spots on it?

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The truck switch hole is rather large to begin with and is stamped in the dash and was never intended to have a switch held in with a nut as the switch is held in by a bracket.
    First image is the switch from Chevs of the 40's.
    Second is the ignition switch in a 51 Cab I have, note that it doesn't have anything to hold it tight from the front as it is all held by the screws in the back.
    Third photo. The switch from the back in another dash I have That stamped tin bracket fastens to two screws that go up from the bottom of the dash.
    fourth photo, the two screws that hold the bracket and a different look at the igniton lock cylinder and the gap around it, someone pried a cylinder out of this dash at one time because the opening is bent about 5 oclock.
    4th photo, 47/53 AD Chevy truck ign switch bracket.
    5th photo, stock 47/53 ign switch with no start. Trucks had foot stomp start.

I tried a number of universal switches in my 48 in the 70's and none will stay tight for long. That was with a few mickey mouse tricks to try to get it to stay tight. Some worked for a while but all got loose after a while.
    I've looked for a switch with start and acc for a lot of the past 49 years. A lot of years for myself and lately for others. https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detai...witch_With_Start_and_Accessory_Positions.html That one from Chevs of the 40's is the only one that I know of from any source. Worth the money to avoid mickey mouse solutions that don't work. Chevs of the 40's ign switch.jpg IMG_4712.JPG IMG_4710 (2).JPG IMG_4708 (2).JPG AD ign switch bracket 47-53.jpg 53-405_Front.jpg