Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TIRES TURNING BROWN (BLOOMING)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Last year I installed new tires and cleaned the tires and they looked great, in April I scrubbed the tires and they looked great, Saturday while at the downtown car show I noticed the tires look like they are turning brown again.

It almost looks like I been driving down a dusty road.

What are you guys using to prevent this? HRP

3W JOHN, chryslerfan55 and wicarnut like this.
  2. Drive them down a dust road, leave as is

3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

The real cause of why tires turn brown is a process called "blooming" This blooming, or tire browning, occurs mainly because of an element added to the rubber called antiozonant. It saves tires from premature drying and cracking due to the process of oxidation. It’s a continuing process that can be prevented by thoroughly cleaning and protecting the tires.

Taken from a auto detailing site...

3W JOHN, Kiwi 4d, hrm2k and 6 others like this.
  4. Ask the original tire seller about what happening. I think I see this a bit on some Coker’s I bought on the black part. But its a daily so, not a show car at all.
    Can people chime in with protectant to use? Like the John Deere stuff?

3W JOHN and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. Maybe give them a coat of tire black, like the stuff the car wash joints smear on tires.

3W JOHN likes this.
  6. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I had tires turning brown, Soap and water scrubbing just did not get rid of the brown. I recently bought a bottle of Adam's Polishes Wheel and Tire cleaner because they said it would get rid of tire "blooming". It really works. Leaves the tire it's natural black color. Looks great. Easy to use.

7. Oilguy

Oilguy

I prefer STP Son Of A Gun and use it each time I detail my cars. I am fortunate in that I have room to keep all 5 of my cars indoors and out of the sun so no issues with discolored tires. Hot Shine also works well as does Armor All. I use the STP on rubber goods under the hood and it does a terrific job of cleaning things up.

8. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

It is much more common now that before. The manufacturer seems to not be adding enough carbon to the rubber mixture during the manufacturing process. Rubber is actually more white in color, the carbon is what makes tires black.
    I have a new set of Vredestein tires on my daily driver that are more brownish or light greyish than black. I have to treat them with tire dressing to keep them black.
    I prefer my tires to look satin black instead of glossy or shiny, the best product I have found for this look is from Griots Garage. https://www.griotsgarage.com/black-satin-tire-coating-15-ounces/ every other product I have tried makes the tires look like shiny plastic. I scrub the tire with Wesley’s bleach white before applying the satin dressing.
    https://www.blackmagicshine.com/tire-care/bleche-wite-tire-cleaner/

9. kdtjb

kdtjb
    from Idaho

I like the Adam's also because it is water based. Some of the other stuff builds up and is hard to scrub off.

3W JOHN, Dave Mc and LOWDUG37 like this.
  10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spray on Purple Power, let it sit for a couple of minutes, then scrub with a soapy water soaked brush. Rinse. May have to repeat, depending on how dirty they are. Works for me.

11. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I thought this "browning" was common, I have seen it for years. I just various products to overcome it. Last I think is a product that McQuires [sp] makes. Not shiny.

3W JOHN likes this.
  12. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Labor intensive but above mentioned purple power or bleche white spray bottles and a scrub brush works the morning of the show
    Then a few days later, brown again

3W JOHN likes this.
  13. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

x3 for Bleche Wite. At least the "original". What I have is OLD. I read that Black Magic bought them out and has a "New Formula". The interweb says it's not as strong as it once was. Too bad, the "old" stuff really cleaned a tire. Mike

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  14. I did that when I first bought the tires and again back in April, they have bloomed once again

Yeah, that's exactly what mine are doing. HRP

15. I used Purple Power and a stiff bristle brush on a regular basis when I had wide white walls and they stayed looking good, but these black walls have bloomed in 2 months. HRP

16. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I have also noticed that Bleach White is reformulated since Black Magic acquired the name. Locally we have a product that is called DC99, (DW Davies Company) it is a very strong degreaser that needs to be diluted but works well on tires to clean them. It does not make them black if the pigment of the rubber does not have enough carbon, but it cleans the rubber of all dirt etc.

17. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didnt say they wouldnt turn brown again. I just said the purple power will clean it off. You are going to have to clean them occasionally. :D

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. I guess I'm looking for a magic Bullitt, clean it once and be done, I understand need cleaning ever now and then but just want to be done with the brown look.

3W JOHN likes this.
  19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Only way to slow the browning effect is to keep them out of the sun whenever you can. I use a bucket of soapy water and Scotch Brite pads to clean the brown off, and it makes them look good again. But if I leave my hotrods parked outside I have cheap canvas tire covers I put over them to protect them from the sun.

20. I have been using Simple Green for years, every time I wash the car or truck, to remove that brown coloration.........works great for me.....

3W JOHN, Kiwi 4d and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. Charlie K

Charlie K

PXL_20220620_181756456.jpg PXL_20220620_181756456.jpg HRP, you might want to try Meguiar's Natural Shine Protectant. I don't like shiny tires. Natural Shine, when used sparingly, leaves an almost flat finish. The tires shown below were wiped down with Natural Shine about a month ago.

Attached Files:

22. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know how good it is for the tire's, but I wipe the brown off with Lacquer thinner and then spray some Lemon Pledge furniture wax on them, then rub it in real good. Gives a nice dark black satin finish.

23. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Just be careful of the Purple Power and Simple Green on polished aluminum wheels.

24. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I don't know how it would work for you, but I like Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner for tires. spray it on the dry tire, let it foam up and wash it off with water and a bug sponge or wet brush.

Gary

25. fordor41

fordor41

I use brillo blue pads. cleans brown off . I keep our car under a car cover, in the garage out of sunlight.

26. Is this the same crud that comes up through the whitewalls and turns them into "beige walls"?

27. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

I have the same problem with white-walls turning brown on my tyres.

@36roadster
    The quick remedy is Aerosol spray engine degreaser onto a scotch pad , and also spray the tyres with degreaser and give it a quick scrub.
    And wash off with water.

This can be done in 5 minutes [without hours of labor] Sort of like "spot detailing" and the tyres look sharp.
    It's not permanent fix as it slowly browns again in about 9 months

It beats the cheap crap painted tyre look

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  28. unfinished

unfinished

Ironically I just began using Lemon Pledge again about a month ago. That's what we used when I was a teenager before the Shiny Armor All type stuff came along. I just scrub with Ajax and a scotch brite pad before applying Lemon Pledge.

3W JOHN, texasred and 427 sleeper like this.
  29. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    In the early days, we used the small blue/yellow can of RuGLYDE for just about anything. It was available at all auto parts stores, and neighborhood gas stations. It worked on everything. Clean and protected.

upload_2022-6-21_4-15-6.png
    But then, Armor All showed up and took over the process we were doing monthly on our hot rods. Armor All was like the word “Skippy Peanut Butter” or “Band-Aid” popularity. The brand's rubber protectant formula being invented in the early 1960s and it became popularized by the early ‘70s.

upload_2022-6-21_4-16-1.png 22 year old spray bottle
    Its accessibility in any store of any kind played right into the everyday automotive uses. It was a one stop shopping experience. But, did it work? On leather upholstery, if one could get over the instant clean and shiny surface, along with the dry squeeky feel, then yes, it worked. The term almost had a life of its own... A noun became a verb... "Did you Armour All the tires?"
    upload_2022-6-21_4-17-13.png
    On tires, it did the same thing, cleaned the surface and made it somewhat shiny. If the finish shine was too much, then a clean rag wiped off the glow. It protected and cleaned up anything on the rubber tires. Road grime, brake dust, and the weekly “browning” of the untreated tires.
    upload_2022-6-21_4-17-33.png
    We used it on all of our cars, hot rods, El Camino tires, and radials when we put them on instead of bias ply. Now, the cars handled much better and still had the hot rod look with the blackwalls and painted rims.

When we had the power spray machines nearby, they cleaned everything off and the new spray coating did its job. It protected and kept the blackwalls nice and black. But, nearing a month, the daily grind did its number on the tire surfaces and coating of what ever began to show up, again, brake dust, grime and brown coating that made blackwalls looking old.

Jnaki

So, by this time the monthly detailing began again. Everything we tried lasted about a month.
    upload_2022-6-21_4-19-22.png During our 20 year sailing adventures, we used different products from the local marine supply store. But eventually, ended up using the blue Meguiars Solution and the 303 Protectant. Since we have now retired from sailing, they got used on our daily drivers as tire cleaners and protectants. They worked just as good as Armor-All, but when they were empty, we reverted back to our tried and true, Armor-All spray/wipe solution.

For some reason, the newer brand of tires now have lasted longer than a month of driving. Relatively, no cleaning is necessary and if I happen to rub on one tire with a leg, it does not get a film of anything on my skin. So, something in the newer tire compound is helping to keep the blackwalls black. We haven’t used the Armor All for awhile as our blackwalls are staying cleaner and show up as black.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  30. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

And be doubly careful to keep it off off skin.
    Maybe just me, but it turn my hands into cardboard. They feel burnt, for a day or so.