Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A different kind of transport question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '28phonebooth, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Hi All. I'm contemplating shipping a car (it runs and drives) from Washington state/Oregon to our grandson in Wisconsin (about 2,100 miles) and I'm just looking for a rough estimate (rule of thumb, cost per mile, etc.) to help decide if it's a viable option (my Tela-transporter is on the fritz). Open transport is OK. I don't want to deal with brokers if I can avoid it, and I trust the advice/references from fellow H.A.M.B.ers.
    I know there have been plenty of threads about this, but with recent fuel price increases, etc., I was hoping I could gain a little current insight.
    Thanks for any help and (positive) comments you can offer.

2. There is no cheap transport - only the promise of it.

If the car you are contemplating sending to your Grandson is going to be a daily driver - put the money in the vehicle and he can drive it home.

Jim

3. Thanks Jim,
    The car is ready and reliable for a long trip, my thinking about transport was to avoid a one-way air ticket for him and our son-in-law (which I haven't priced yet), as well as the time he would be away from his job (a young guy with not much seniority), but your point is well taken and I appreciate your input, honesty and experience.

4. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

5. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

92072DF4-283E-49D7-9C83-0D948C31A97A.jpeg I bought a stock 40 Ford sedan in Richmond, Washington and dove it all the way to Missouri. The guy I bought it from didn't know anything about it as he took it in trade. That was the most fun trip my wife and I ever had.

6. Thank you Stuart!

Yes... BenD, David Robert Phelps & Myself all have ads in the O"Dex section with hundreds of all positive feedback posted by fellow Hambers.

Honestly though in this particular case we all would be WAY too expensive for the OP, especially since the price of diesel has skyrocketed. Even if I was currently transporting (off until after Aug 1st for my wedding, honeymoon, etc) & used the open trailer it would be too much for an everyday car transported that many miles!

Other than sending your Grandson to pick it up, the cheapest way to get it there would be to put it on a national carrier that uses an open trailer that holds 6-9 cars. Yes they can be a pain in the butt to deal with, but you will get the cheapest price & thousands of daily drivers are moved this way every day without any problems!

Best of Luck with whatever you decide!

God Bless
    Bill Squires(owner)
    Bill's Auto Works
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

7. Drive it to Wisconsin and take the Greyhound home?

X-cpe, '28phonebooth and trulyvintage like this.
  8. Is greyhound even still in business? I haven't seen a bus in years....
    Train would be quicker and more comfortable trip.

trulyvintage likes this.
  9. Ironically enough …

I am sitting in a Greyhound Bus Terminal
    in Alabama waiting for a connecting bus
    to finish the last 120 miles of a trip from
    Ohio to Florida …..

I have to wait 6 hours because of bus schedule cancellations and delays that had me arrive here
    after my connecting bus had departed.

Greyhound ….. Is ….. OK
    If you have time to kill.

Jim

'28phonebooth likes this.

10. Nice score! Congratulations!

11. Thank you, Bill. Our son-in-law is checking this out now. The good thing is that there is not a tight time frame involved. It's not a super high dollar rig, so I'm not worried about an open, common carrier.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  12. I've never "Gone Greyhound", but I took the train from Vancouver, Washington to Billings, Montana years ago. It took 26 hours! You can drive it in about 18! Of course, there is the matter of the Club Car....

trulyvintage likes this.
  13. Well, I've got more time than money, but still.....

trulyvintage likes this.
  14. You cannot realistically transport a vehicle cheaper than driving it yourself.

Money put into a daily driver is an investment
    with a return.

No offense intended - bit anyone getting a car gifted should make the time to drive it home.

Jim

15. I took Amtrak from Winslow to Kingman, AZ
    in December of last year to pick up a truck
    I bought.

Amtrak has scaled back their passenger service and does not cover much of the country anymore.

Greyhound does - although it is slow and tedious.

Jim

'28phonebooth likes this.