Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My "You didn't build that" 27 T Roadster build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

2. daddio211

daddio211

I bought it from a dear friend before he passed unexpectedly. Zero rust, body does have some dents, but it's mostly complete. I have all of the stainless for it (Super Deluxe), two doors (he planned to chop it), the original chassis and a G-body chassis. Most likely I'll use the original chassis with a dropped axle. I also have a '99 Ford Cobra 4 cam 4.6 for it.

Yes, it's on the short list of cars to build. I'm so damned happy to have room finally!!!

brEad, Tman, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Living in a cold climate I’m a believer in insulation.
    Heck for me even down where you are the benefits of thick insulation and a bigger R value would be the AC costs would be much less because the cooling system won’t work so hard.
    My experience with this same type of scenario was a large shop building with 8” thick walls insulated the full 8” and finished walls with White tin.
    With the doors closed the AC would only kick in when the doors were opened and some heat was let in.

That trusscore is really nice, strong light panels easy to install on the ceiling and durable, no taping or mud and no painting ever.
    I’m thinking about getting some for my small garage.

It’s an impressive product and probably worth the price.
    Larry

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’m still a believer :D
    How many shops are you going to build Eric, and how long will you be using and enjoying yours.
    Cost is all relative in the big picture if you can make it happen. :cool:

5. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Cool! I have to admit, I was hoping for something more along the lines of "I'd love to sell it to you!" Definitely go dropped axle!

brEad, daddio211 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. daddio211

daddio211

While I agree with the sentiment I can't justify triple the price of insulation or 15x the cost of drywall versus paneling. I can always add and change things as time passes. If money were no object I'd get the best of everything, however I don't play in the big boys arena, LOL. Saving $100 here and there means I have another $100 to put into a hot rod, but not at the cost of doing it wrong. I don't mind cheap, I do mind wrong. That said, I ordered everything yesterday that will give me R10. It should be here in a week or two and I'll get busy hanging.

We don't plan to move, ever. The house is way too big for just Victoria and I but we love it. Lots of room for grandkids to visit. Pool starts in a week or two.

Money talks. I'm not opposed to selling it, but beware, it's a VERY solid body.

7. Right now, Lavin and I could not move even if we wanted to! The property values have gone thru the roof up here since Sodak stayed open and mostly untouched the last 3 years. Sure, we could sell for a ton but would not be able to replace what we have AND the 5 acres it is sitting on.

8. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

@daddio211 Do you have any other pictures you can send me?

daddio211 likes this.
  9. daddio211

daddio211

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No problem Eric, After all it’s your building. I just hope that down the road you don’t regret not paying for the extra insulation because over the longer term you’ll be giving that money to the utility company anyway.
    Nice building :cool:

11. Happy for ya! Enjoy

daddio211 likes this.
  12. Congrats on getting that shop done! You've been lusting for that for a long while. Soon we'll be getting hot rod updates!

I think he was talking about the red and yellow coupe... :D

daddio211 likes this.
  13. daddio211

daddio211

Well, there's been a change in insulation plans. I found a local company who manufactures their own closed cell spray in foam product that will come and spray it for roughly the same cost I was going to spend doing it myself, with a less than ideal product. The guy will be here today to give me a quote and get me on their schedule. Best damned news I've had in a while.

I simply couldn't justify an additional $9000-10,000 for insulation. While I realize it's importance and benefits, my power bill couldn't possibly justify the long term savings. For a 3400 square foot house my power bill is around $80 in the winter and never higher than $200 in the summer. I keep the house at 68 all year long. Assuming (the worst) that power for the shop would increase costs $100 a month the ROI is at a minimum 7.5 years. I appreciate your input, but the reality is that the ROI would be more like 30 years. Just doesn't compute in my wallet.

Regardless, I'm happy to report that I'll be doing it "right" with the preferred product now. :)

Thank you brother!

Ha! My grandkids would KILL me if I sold their hot rod!

chryslerfan55, Tim, AndersF and 5 others like this.
  14. I don't mind working in the sun at your place, Eric. :rolleyes::D JW

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  15. daddio211

daddio211

Victoria's roadster got some fresh air and sunshine last week. Your pal and mine, Dale Grau, was on his way home to Minnesota from LARS and developed a bad noise in his engine. He shut it down about 40 miles south of me and put out an SOS on Facebook. I got half a dozen messages from mutual friends.

I ran down with my trailer and brought him to my house. First car in my shop, LOL. We tore it down and got him back on the road several days later. Thought I'd share a few photos with y'all.

We believe a set screw from one of the air cleaners found it's way down the intake and into cylinders 1 and 7, you can see it embedded in piston 1. We replaced pistons 1 & 7 and had a friend surface the head. He also did some valve work as they weren't seating properly.

Dale made it home with no futher issues.

Attached Files:

16. That made a mess!! Well done, Eric. I met, Dale at our Motel when at LARS 2019, very nice guy and also his mate, Dave. They both put huge miles on their cars.:cool: JW

Stogy, daddio211 and Blue One like this.
  17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Daayyuuum, that really sucks! That screw(s) did some major damage. Good on you for helping out a fellow hot rodder in need, that's really awesome.

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well shit that’s not what you want too see! At least it’s basically a rolling engine stand ready to go

Stogy, daddio211 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  19. daddio211

daddio211

Moved some stuff into the shop this week. :)

292281538_10222315060173787_1325496516434577343_n.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
    Blue One, Stogy, Outback and 6 others like this.
  20. That looks amazing and with cars in there it looks even bigger, you will be able to road test without going outside:rolleyes::D. JW

Stogy, daddio211 and Dick Stevens like this.
  21. daddio211

daddio211

No in-shop burnouts, but I should be able to get from one end to the other with $1.00 of gas!

Stogy, Outback, brEad and 3 others like this.
  22. Happy Birthday, Eric.:D:D JW

Stogy, Blue One and daddio211 like this.
  23. daddio211

daddio211

24. daddio211

daddio211

Well friends, this is where the Model T story ends. I will not go into details because they don't belong here but shortly after finishing my shop and her pool I learned of unforgivable acts. Divorce is finalized and she kept the roadster. I'm sure it will be for sale soon as she has still never even driven it.

If you happen to come across it's new owner feel free to point them to this thread. I'll be happy to help them with their new-to-them hot rod.

No sympathy posts here, please, that's not what this site is about or what this post is for. Yes it sucks.

Stogy, RMR&C, Outback and 2 others like this.
  25. More than sucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue One, Stogy and daddio211 like this.
  26. redzula

redzula

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two screw jobs on one page. Sorry to hear about both of them.

28. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Thanks for letting us know. That sux big time.
    Hope you can pick yourself up.

Blue One, Stogy and daddio211 like this.
  29. Appreciate the update man.
    Get your life in gear and move forward. Stay out of the rear view mirror for a while……
    Best.

30. Hey, Eric, sorry i didn't make your get together last weekend. It's sad about the Roadster but it was of it that we are great buds and always will be. Will talk soon. Love Mandy and Jeremy.:cool:

Go the HAMB
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
    Blue One, Stogy, OFT and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.