Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Are you that guy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jun 7, 2022.

1. You do what you have to for a 37-38 Chevy coupe!

Roothawg, chryslerfan55 and Tman like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I believe that’s the truth . The end vision may take awhile longer than “all at once”. Thinking small nibbles to get up and going. Then enjoy while adding the frosting. That will save me money by not getting it painted. Always one more customizing idea by hand will give me time .

3. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

That line was sarcasm, but if it makes him happy that's all that matters.

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  4. I
    I agree, one of the reasons I am in sell mode

chryslerfan55 and Roothawg like this.
  5. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Dead stock from SJPD, low miles and runs great

287128140_141398105140624_5406886187552316089_n.jpg
    286185372_141382771808824_3775040428944462196_n.jpg

6. Budget36

Budget36

Roothawg likes this.
  7. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I am guilty, as charged. I have way more projects than I'll get too. But its what keeps me going. There is still nothing better than the hunt and the chase.

8. I have had up to 9 cars at one point. Now I'm happy with one running car. I'm looking to add another, but it will have to be running and driving. On the outside, I'm looking for an OT Chevy panel truck. That I could tolerate to work on.

9. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Standard on later ones, lots of lights and electric start. 3-wire Delcotron

10. Belle53

Belle53

No , I am not

Roothawg likes this.
  11. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

no more projects , have 3 that run redoing 53 f 100 for youngest son. but if the right chopped shoebox, 56 chey or 60 pontiac were to suddenly appear :rolleyes:

Roothawg likes this.
  12. or some people want to sell a project for the price of a running, driving car...

13. Depends on the Project. A 32/3/4 Ford is almost always worth the asking price. There is a saying about them, "you didn't pay to much, you just bought in too early"

14. or they want to sell any late 50s car for 5 grand... when it doesnt have floors, a title, a running engine... etc

Roothawg likes this.
  15. I agree that 5K seems like a lot, and for that price it absolutely SHOULD have a title. But, that is the new cost of entry in many places around the country. Projects we paid a few hundred to 2500 back in the early Aughts are now up to 3-5K for anything 40s, 50s and up to the 65ish musclecar era. Glad out got the late 60s out of my system 30+ years ago as a teenager, some of those start at 10K or more for a nothing more than a beat up shell depending on spec and numbers

16. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

I think I got this beat. 4 project cars, two of which are on the road, driven weekends. The 3rd one, 59 Rancho is almost ready to drive. My Zephyr is going to be last. I’m only 51 if I get bored of any of them I’ll look for a swap. I honestly think I will never have a finished car and that’s ok

bobss396, The37Kid and Roothawg like this.
  17. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

House projects, "other hobby" projects, car projects. I have so many projects I can never die. Thank goodness I don't have the money or space for everything I want or think I want.
    And don't even start with the "that's so cheap I should buy it for later project xxxx"

18. metalshapes

metalshapes

"I don’t wanna be that guy that says “ I have plans on fixing it up some day”."

Why not?

I dont see anything wrong with that...

My current projects that I'm actively working on right now are,
    - a Truck that was my daily before I parked it, some 15 years ago.
    - a Hot Rod project a bought as a pile of parts 20 or so years ago, but never worked on.
    - a Racecar I built some 35 years ago, which I'm redoing for today's power and safety requirements.

And I have more that I havent got to yet... :)

I am that guy, and I'm fine with that... :)

rod1, Roothawg, B.A.KING and 6 others like this.
  19. Budget36

Budget36

That looks like it’ll be a fun thing to tool around in!

Was it in an auction, I/e how did you come across it?

Roothawg likes this.
  20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

A lot depends on where you live! I can understand if you live in town on a small lot, you should limit your cars to a few. But some of us (me) have been collecting since the fifties and have many cars, trucks, tractors, dozers, etc. But I have a place to put them out of sight on the ranch. You can drive by and never see most them from the road! I bought every one of them for a reason….I may not remember that reason now! Lol but they are mine! If you want them to be yours bring Benjamin’s…..not Jackson’s!
    As for what to do with them after I am gone…..anything they want to…it will be theirs ,then. Anything from leaving them there to one phone call to a junker and having that person give my people a check. How much of a problem is one phone call?
    Like I said it depends on each person’s situation. If my people call a junker…..it will be a sizable check…one of my last gifts to them.

Bones

21. Well my preacher made an interesting point.
    When we go(depart this earth) we should slide into the casket as wide open as we can. Tires squealing, swerving, banged up as wide open throttle as we can manage.
    Some folks wide open is different than others. That’s ok.

any person worried about leaving a bunch of old parts, cars, tools ….for their family to deal with can just hire me to liquidate the junk.
    I don’t charge much.

22. w
    wait... if you've been collecting since the 50s, you've gotta be nearing 80!

23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I collected my first Allstate/Cushman scooter ,which I still have, in 1959. I am now in my seventies!

Bones

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    alanp561, SS327, Roothawg and 5 others like this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm still working on the 1930 Ford Roadster body I found in 1962. I did sell it once, got it back 25 years later with nothing done to it except a lower stanchion went missing. That is part of the fun, having some history with the project.

25. Pick your favorite and build it. It's the one you wanted when you were 13 years old, that's the real favorite. Get it running and drive it. JW

Just Gary, Roothawg and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

My stuff is organized and my wife has instructions on which auction company to call. She'll be surprised when they cut the check at the end of the day.

Instead of knocking "your older friend", help him out. Those projects are probably the only thing keeping him going.

Good project cars are like good parts, they'll bring good money. Junk is just that. Some people aren't realistic about what they have.

27. modified1927

modified1927

I'm trying to reform, there isn't a 12 step for us. I hit 73 last January and hope to live another 10 good years, should have time to finish a few projects. I've sold 2 this year so that leaves me with a 35 Chevy Hi Top chopped and frame z and mocked up with SBC. A 87 El Camino with 50 Studebaker nose and quarters on it. Came from out of state and California says I have to have all the smog back on it even though most of the rubber parts not available. A 70 GMC C30 with 12' deck, 4 more feet for a dovetail and its a car carrier, Right? The 26 roadster is my summer time driver, a 32 BB flatbed is the farm truck and parade truck for grandkids, and '34 flathead panel was just to cheap to walk away from, turning over now with Marvel Mystery in the Cylinders. My issue is what happens when I get too stove up to do anything or even die? I have one son that buys a new Jeep Cherokee every few years, and not interested in any of my passions. I got out of service in '72 so at least a 50 year collections of way too many tools and parts ( I bought a louver press, so I could do what I wanted to do) . Being serious here what's next? been divorced for 40 years and retired for 8, I can't be the only one with this question. My first car was in 1965 it was a 55 Chevy hardtop and I think I'd like to trade most of it off for a nice one (or maybe a so so Nomad) Got to have a project waiting instead of a hole in the ground with my name on it. Thanks for the time to get something off my chest

Attached Files:

rod1, Budget36 and The37Kid like this.
  28. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

LOL I think I have 25 now, not sure, but I am at the point now where if I buy another one I sell one. I only have the 51 F1 as a driver now, but had up to 4 at once. I figured out that I can only drive one at a time so I sold the other drivers and kept the projects. Really I think I have more fun dreaming up the build and doing it than the driving, I am always thinking of the next build before the one I am working on is done. Not worried about leaving behind a burden, I have bought cars at estate auctions that had way more than me and it was all gone in a weekend. If its cool I want it, just bought a 41 Buick Special 2 door fastback so I sold my 48 Cadillac Fleetwood.

IMG_6997.JPG
    241285218_3030504080502320_7671130251332641670_n.jpg

The_Cat_Of_Ages and Stock Racer like this.
  29. B1gDaddy

B1gDaddy
    from aladambama

Well, I’ve been that guy. But I’m better now. I have the money but not the time, nor a craftsman to help me complete the projects. I’ve done this -

I’ve sold the projects , I have all finished cars except one project and the parts and all supplies to fix that one project to complete show ready. I’m happier than ever In my life and I’m juggling less balls.

and I dont have three to six projects in various states of repair. I’m more comfortable if something happens- there is only one pile to dispose of

30. indyjps

indyjps

I'm in the middle of one and have 1 on deck.

When I get in a buying mood, I ask if I like that particular pile of shit, enough to lay under it for hours, block sand it and finish it out to keep it.

I usually stop looking at projects.

I may need to start buying running / driving cars, then just resell every few years.

Well, that is, Unless @Boneyard51 wants to post up what he's holding.....Oklahoma isn't that far away:D

Boneyard51 and Budget36 like this.