Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest The Best Car Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hepme, Jun 10, 2022.

1. hepme

hepme

Last weekend I took my 13 year old granddaughter to a local weekend car show. I have given up shows but she really wanted to go with me and have me explain the history/background and why’s of the rods. For 2 hours we looked at coupes, tri fives, trucks, rat rods, and even a fantastic 4 door 1960 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron-about 20’+ long -that could have been owned only by a rich man in those days. I tell ‘ya guys, it was the best show and evening i’ve spent in decades. She’s a natural born artist, had to look at every pinstripe on each car, had to explain scallops, flames, various paints, custom mods, etc.etc. The owners were delighted to show her their cars and give explanations also. On the way home, she asked how/when did all this start.
    I’ve thought about this experience and know that after i’m long gone she will be able to tell her kids/grandkids the story of going to “car shows” with grandpaw and what hot rods were in those days. Very doubtful there will be anything like them in the future. She might have even saved a few pix of my junk.
    Bottom line: if you have a chance like this and don’t take it, it’ll be far worse than any “barn find” of metal/rubber/plastic that you might have missed. I’m sure glad i didn’t.

2. Good for you!

lothiandon1940 and anothercarguy like this.
  3. Nice to get a perspective thru someone else's eyes..an awakening for both of you.

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

There is the basic reason for a car show . To show off your passion ( car owner/builder) and as a spectator to really look at the details and dissect what those details are . You get so much more perspective if you respectfully ask about persons work and passion.

5. So good!!!!

My youngest daughter has always been my little motorhead...not a nuts-and-bolts type (though she's capable, followed her dad into engineering)...just really into cars in general and always interested in hearing my stories. She loves to see my pinstriping and has taken photos (not pics) of me while striping. She asks about my custom bikes and my old motorcycle. Maybe it's just connecting with dad by listening to my silly stories or nodding at my latest hot rod hijinx...

Well, she's now 27 and engaged, to be wed next May. She tells me right after the engagement that I have a year to get one of my old hot rods ready, because she wants to use one as the get-away car! So proud of her and her wanting to include my passion on HER special day. THEN...OH CRAP!!! I only have a year to get one running and driving!!!!

Better get busy....

6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Kudos to you both. You enriched both your lives just by going. And that’s a great thing. :)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like one of those memory builder days for both of you. We took my son in law to the first car show he had gone to as a family member last year and it was fun to watch my daughter who actually was at that show when she was 5 weeks old in 1979 explain the cars to him. She also an artist and I'd say that those who are artists themselves appreciate art in any form.

Tman likes this.
  8. Our twin girls were raised in the back set of a 1940 Ford DeLuxe sedan, the 4 of us traveled thousands of miles pulling a Mullins trailer full of tools, cloths, food, chairs and a huge ice chest.

Today, our girls could car less about traveling in a hot rod but all three grandchildren have logged miles in hot rods, our oldest granddaughter came home from the hospital in my 1939 Ford Convertible, she has been to a lot of local shows with us but her work at the hospital doesn't leave her weekends free, Hannah will inherit Brenda's Ranch Wagon and is learning how to drive a stick.

The grandson also hit a lot of local stuff before moving to Florida, he will end up with my pickup and Veda ( the only one to be named after a female hot rodding pioneer) shows no interest, she has attended a hand full of shows but if it came down to it she would rather go kayaking or fishing.

Exposing all the kids to what Brenda and I have grown up with is our way of teaching them about the hobby of all cars, we have also tried to teach them the important things in life also, HRP

9. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Yep, I'm taking my grandsons (12 and 9) to a car show this Sunday. They care more about the snacks than the cars, but they will remember it long after I'm gone.

10. hepme

hepme

had the same thing happen with my daughter-she was an only child so we had a big wedding for her, she could have used any number of classy cars from her friends parents or other sources. Instead they both wanted my old 40 chevy coupe. It was a finished street rod, and they parked it out front of this big hotel--decked out for the wedding. The hotel guys loved it, and so did the wedding guests and the hotel guests.
    Be sure you do a real good job-its worth it!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. hepme

hepme

Boys are a little different-my 10 year old Gson is the same as yours. But be assured they will remember it, even if they can't wait for the next snack!

lothiandon1940 and KevKo like this.
  12. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats... great story.

It is very hard to predict what activities a child will grow up to enjoy. Parents can certainly help by setting the correct tone and providing opportunities. I raised my daughter in the garage as much as possible (between studying, horseback riding, and trumpet playing). I taught her to drive on a manual and she still drives one (and taught her husband). She became a mechanical engineer and still enjoys cars. (She also taught her husband how to do oil changes.)

You just never know.

13. hepme

hepme

Sigh! wish i could say the same about my kid with a manual--has 2 kids of her own and still can't drive one...poor teacher i suspect.

14. My granddaughter loves my cars. She always wants to cruise in the coupe. She takes my phone and records videos. She hasn't been in the Merc yet. That's a whole different experience. Her biggest complaint....I talk too much, lol....

Tman likes this.
  15. We've noticed ;) Going to Speedweek?

16. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

Two of my guys spent their formative going to shows like the Road Agents with me. Neither has followed the path but both are tuned into cars of interest and go to an occasional show with me. Good times for all.

Just Gary likes this.
  17. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

You bonded......which is more important than anything.

(No matter the subject.)