Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Adventure of a Boy and His Edsel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Thanks for all the comments guys! To me, this is what this hobby is all about. I actually really love working the bugs out of these old cars while also making them better. The fact that my kids are also into it is the icing on top. Silas doesn’t have a lot of patience, and Pinky is trying to help him learn it. :D

And, a quick follow up on my boss being a car guy. When I got to work, he offered up the generator and bracket he pulled off his F100 for free. I will likely take him up on it to get it going again quickly, but am thinking an alternator might be a good idea on a daily driver in today’s world. So, that is likely the future plan as was mentioned above.

2. One other funny note... I have had multiple folks stop by my desk and ask me if I had a car broke down on I-35 headed north toward where I work. Not sure why they would ask that... :rolleyes:

WC145, winduptoy, drdave and 7 others like this.
  3. I'd definitely endorse this idea.

I adapted a GM 10si on my old '54 F100. Worked like a charm and I could warranty it out at any O'Reilly across 'Murica. With you being an engineer and having access to the waterjet stuff, I'd make that happen.

4. Yep, seems like a better idea than trying to run the generator on it. There are fewer and fewer shops that want to rebuild generators (or any old electrical stuff for that matter). I had to drive about an hour south to get my starter rebuilt for my car not too long ago. The shop I had used for 30 years had closed down as well as several others I found out.

5. Yeah man, go alternator. Generators are awesome! But as many miles as you guys run, I get it. And you're right about breakdowns being part of it, that what it's about! Pinky is looking sexy! Like Fonzy's girlfriend back in the day :D

6. I agree with the alternator. I have had one on the '50 Buick for 10 years and 20,000 miles or so. O'Reilly's rebuilt. Never a problem.

Ben

Thor1, Joe Travers and guthriesmith like this.
  7. Pinky patiently waited on me all day to bring the stretcher, and now is back home. I even already have the parts from my boss to fix her. Oh, right after I took this pic, the truck wouldn’t start... :eek: Battery cable was corroded, so any easy fix. But, just makes the story that much better. :D

E5562492-D185-458D-9944-827F733C97A4.jpeg

Anyway, also tripped across one of those deals that doesn’t happen everyday today and made a deal on this 50 Buick. The guy in the pic is the original owners son. His dad ordered the car and it has lived it’s whole life in the town I work in. It runs and drives and has not quite 67k miles on the clock. I hate to even say what I got it for. Anyway, it is about as solid and unmolested of an old car I have come across in years. Pretty pumped to have another survivor to put some miles on. :cool: Happy early Father’s Day to me. :D

6BC98354-C217-4733-B533-B948384767D4.jpeg

WC145, okndnx, Jeff Norwell and 26 others like this.
  8. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Magnificent!
    That is going to be a keeper for sure.
    Can't wait to see it all washed up and all shined up!
    Pinky is gonna to be a tad bit jealous no doubt, but what a great set of choices now, decisions decisions, do we cruise in the Buick tonight or do we cruise in the Edsel?
    Looking forward to more pictures of the evolution of the Buick, congratulations on money well spent!

9. You are one fortunate man. God loves you!

Ben

10. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Jealous of the Buick. My jr. high school principal was restoring that car's twin when he passed away. I had the opportunity to buy it for $2500 and like an idiot decided it wasn't my style and passed on it. He had rebuilt the drivetrain, repainted it and redid the interior. It literally needed the trim put back on and door panels installed. I have kicked myself every time I've seen a toothy Buick from the 50s..

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Man, cherry!

And that bumper looks like it could take out a brick wall.

12. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Dude......Congratulations! :)

Joe

41 GMC K-18 and guthriesmith like this.
  13. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

That Buick is happy you got it, look at that big smile it is giving you! Congrats, you will love it!

Thor1, 41 GMC K-18 and guthriesmith like this.
  14. Thanks guys! I’m pretty pumped. I missed out on a deal on a 63 Impala that was a similar find a couple weeks ago. Once the owner figured out it wasn’t worth a fortune, she decided to keep it. But, this one was less money and more my style anyway. And, it is literally as easy to get as dragging a trailer to work with me one day next week whereas the Impala was in Colorado. I won’t hijack Pinky’s thread with info on the Buick. But, I may start a thread for it once I get it picked up and start to sort through its history and condition early next week.

And, just one more pic since I agree she is smiling to know that she will be back on the road soon.

22EDD12E-7742-4A27-8C1C-03BEF1CFF03C.jpeg

WC145, pvfjr, Jeff Norwell and 11 others like this.
  15. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That Buick is so cool, with the toothy grille, and snazzy visor, and 3 piece rear window and 2 piece windshield!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    guthriesmith likes this.
  16. manyolcars

manyolcars

I used the original generator brackets to mount a one wire alternator on my 292

41 GMC K-18 and guthriesmith like this.
  17. v8flat44

v8flat44

Good on you!! Makes up for all of Big Ed's problems......what will Silas think of Smiling B ? So cool that you guys are "in this together". A true blessing.

Bruce A Lyke, Thor1 and guthriesmith like this.
  18. I sent Silas pics of the Buick yesterday. He likes it and commented how he hopes it is more reliable than Pinky. :rolleyes: Trying to teach that all cars break...even new ones. :D

19. 2935ford

2935ford

I had a '50 Buick. Completely stock like yours. Those things are bulletproof.
    Enjoy! :)

20. Got the generator swapped. Pretty sure this thing had a GM generator on it before which explains the spacer on the bracket and likely why we kept breaking the bracket. Anyway, the one I put on is supposedly rebuilt, but has been sitting forever. It doesn’t appear to be charging, so I may need to polarize it? I have run multiple generators, but have never had to do that before. Yea, I know...this is something I should have already known how to do.

21. Ok, did a little research on how to polarize or “flash” the generator right here on the HAMB while at the laundry mat doing my father-in-laws laundry. So, when I get home, I likely have Bruce Lancaster to thank for many of his comments on the subject from several years ago. Miss his knowledge being shared here. :( Although, I am thankful for so many knowledgeable folks we still have here that are all willing to help. :)

22. Hmm...that didn’t work. I did it just like everyone seemed to agree on for a Ford generator. I pulled the field wire at the regulator and touched it to the battery wire for a second until is sparked. Didn’t seem to change anything. I figure we can mess with it more tomorrow. Too late to think about it too much tonight. Not sure if something is wired wrong or if the generator isn’t working. I do have another generator that is on my 57 312. I suppose I could try that one. We need to dig in more...tomorrow. Have I mentioned how much I hate tracking down electrical problems? :eek:

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Really enjoying this thread

guthriesmith likes this.
  24. Rebuilt generators used to come with a tag with polarization instructions. On an old one of unknown origin, good luck. Can you get one rebuilt so you have more confidence in it?

41 GMC K-18, Thor1 and guthriesmith like this.
  25. Finally gave in and swapped to an alternator. It’s now charging, so we should be good to celebrate Silas’s 18th birthday going to a cruise tonight about an hour away. More pics later.

FE091E5C-8720-4F6A-96BE-39412F7B03B8.jpeg

26. And, we are off...

35850E67-94AD-43B9-84EC-5E5898EFE6E2.jpeg

27. guthriesmith likes this.
  28. Oh, and the birthday boy. Can’t believe he is 18! :eek: I’m calling the fact that he wants to drive his Edsel on the backroads to go to a car event for his birthday success. :D

553D7949-43F5-4E73-939A-9E41119C5A6A.jpeg

29. When I was 18, I was driving an old C-20 with a 292 and a 465 Muncie. You guys have far better style and taste than I did when I was 18! Lol! Happy Birthday Silas!!

Joe Travers, bobss396, Thor1 and 3 others like this.