Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I'm off to find my '30 Roadster in the Basement.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The37Kid, Oct 23, 2010.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the photos! Great memories, had a lot of fun with that project, now I need to pick up part of the current project and do something. Happy 2022!

Bob

Outback, MJW, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  2. 101Scout

101Scout

I just bumped into this build and I'm looking forward to following it. Great car and I love where it's going. The back story on your roadster is great and I love how each part of the build has it's own story and meaning. Keep up the good work. It really will be something special!

Stogy, The37Kid and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thank you 101Scout! Guess there is an Indian motorcycle in your collection. I outlived another good friend, and bought his home library, guess I'll buy something for the Roadster with a few book sales, so I can think of him and all the others that made a great impression over the years.

Bob

4. 101Scout

101Scout

Yeah, I've got a '29 101 Scout project. I'm saving that one for the retired years, if I make it that far. The engine lives on my dresser; those old Indian motors are beauties! Keep on building those memories!

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Many years ago I had a 1915 or so Indian Twin that came off an old ice racing boat. Sold the prop for half of what the engine cost. Hope someone made a bike around it.

6. 101Scout

101Scout

4DC7E4C7-D72B-4DA4-A0CB-EDB907A8427E.jpeg
    Whoa, that sounds cool! I'll have to do some research on vintage racing boats.

Six Ball, Okie Pete, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

I spent three hours working on the sub rails today, no idea what motivated me, just did. The cowl and toe board section are from another Roadster body the main rails were original to the body and the rear section is from a third Roadster. The back rail has eight cut off screws that held the under deck lid panel in place. I had it sitting on top of the Fordor body and gave each screw a shot of Kroil last week and a few more during the week. Took a while but six unscrewed today and the last two didn't have enough shank to grip so I drilled them out. Hit the inside of the back panel with some paint remover, same for the stamped brackets that attach to it and both quarters. I know it didn't happen without posting photos, but things are outside in the dark drying after washing off the paint remover. As messy as my basement is I had an open 5x5 section of floor and every tool I needed was 2 or 3 steps away. Scrubbing the inside of that bottom panel I herd a dent pop out of it, all and all a very good evening.

8. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

9. noboD

noboD

Better keep working, Bobby will need a car soon.

Stogy, kiwijeff and The37Kid like this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Back to no progress, cleaning & moving junk around in search of a grinder and 6x6x2 chunk of steel. Stuff I did find is now back in the proper spots. It was a good weekend.

11. I feel you pain of looking for things like that and when you do find it you will remember placing it there.;):) JW

Stogy, The37Kid and Outback like this.
  12. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

i looked for the brand new ford carb i put in a flat rate WHITE box...
    pizzed so i bought another...
    found it a year and a half later...
    eye level and in a BLACK box !
    ERRRR !

13. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

You are getting like me. Remember when I was losing all the flat head parts. It only gets worse.
    Thanks,

jim

Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  14. We are not getting forgetful - we have accumulated so much knowledge we just need a better filing system …….

Stogy, kiwijeff, Outback and 3 others like this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

There is a lot more truth to that statement than most people realize. With 3,000+ eBay listings and no filing system it is hard to believe I get as much shipped as I do. :confused:

Stogy, Outback and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

There is something neat about using original tin, this lower panel is nice and solid, just needs the ends corrected, somebody torched off the bolts years ago. I spent five bucks on a handful of nuts and bolts to attach this stuff, then spotted the maroon bolt 'n nut kit under some stuff on a shelf. Back in the 1960's an after school job had me filling the boxes with hardware and putting the kits together. DSCF0767.JPG DSCF0771.JPG DSCF0768.JPG DSCF0770.JPG DSCF0774.JPG DSCF0775.JPG

Last edited: May 25, 2022
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is how things looked in November 2010. Decided to use the 2x8's that formed the bench top in my Dad's basement workshop for the frame in a body dolly. The new casters turned up while looking for something else, that Makita grinder. There will be less things, and a functional dolly when it is done, think I'll design the bottom shelf so two milk crates can stack under it.
    [​IMG]

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF1083.JPG Decided I don't need these 1940 Ford 16"s so I put them in the HAMB classifieds, plan to use 5 spoke Americans when the time comes. UPS got them to Tomcats30 overnight, and it motivated me to drag the quarters out for the Roadster and post a question. Important Roadster History day coming up on Friday DSCF1363.JPG

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]

Looking back at it, Selling the Roadster Body back in 1975 was one of my life changing moments. Bob Whitworth was a total stranger that knocked on the door and asked about it, wanted to buy it. He kept coming back, then finally threw out a number too good to pass up. We did Revolutionary War reenactments together, became good friends. He told me about a Christmas party I should go to. I left with the most attractive girl there. Today is our 44th anniversary. I got the Roadster body back after Bob stored it for 25 years. It still looks about the same, but it has a deeper meaning to me. House, two kids, three grand kids, trips to LARS, Pebble Beach, Bonneville, West Coast Rocky due in August, all because I once sold the body I found in 1962.

Bob

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  20. Ah yes, the classic car disassembled in the basement. My grandparent's basement had a 1969 Gran Torino tie rod and rear quarter in the basement. And a bucket full of Volkswagen parts left over from my uncle being a doofus with his orange beetle convertible

21. rusty valley

rusty valley

Go bob go !!! , I agree with that

Stogy and The37Kid like this.
  22. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Wow what a story! its amazing the twists & turns this life throws at you & really cool you got to buy it back after all that time & you still have it all that time later!

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yesterday was Father's Day, good day to take apart the workbench top that was in my Dad's basement shop, it was there forever, most likely four years older than I am. Lots of good memories, the bench grinder and drill press were on it. Also remember the hand saw holder used to hold the saw while filing each tooth sharp. To good to cut up but just right for the frame of a body dolly. Made a spot large enough to place a 4x8 on the floor. Need a box of screws to get to the next step. DSCF1628.JPG DSCF1629.JPG DSCF1610.JPG DSCF1704.JPG

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF1708.JPG Grinder came out of hiding, found it under the '12 T behind a box of books, I can make some progress now.

Six Ball, Okie Pete, brEad and 3 others like this.
  25. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

NOW HEAR THIS!!! BOB IS WORKING ON HIS ROADSTER!! STOP THE PRESSES, BOB IS WORKING ON HIS ROADSTER!!!
    Seriously bud, good on you bro, keep at it.

Nailhead A-V8, brEad, Carter and 5 others like this.
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

An hour every night and another $20. bucks at the hardware store mounts up.

27. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

go bob go ! ...
    and keep going,
    most of us would like to follow along with your ROADSTER RESURECTION...

chessterd5 likes this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Things are slowly rolling, selling off stuff that turns up as I move things around. I've had all the parts to build the body roll around dolly for years. Once assembled I'll have more space, body on the top 4x8 and a 4x8 shelf underneath.

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hope everyone had a good 4th of July. Put the bottom frame of the body dolly together today, should have the rest together over the weekend. Sold off some old toys I outgrew 60 years ago, Roadster funds now. DSCF1775.JPG DSCF1658.JPG DSCF1642.JPG

30. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Sir, I'm rooting for you. That roadster body has too much meaning not to be flying in the fast lane.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.