Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Age and Hot Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.A.KING, Apr 28, 2022.

1. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I was lucky enough to come up on some really good deals on cars. They are all i have ever thought about,well almost. I do have 2 kids .Back to cars plans was to put them back until I did retire.
    SO went to DR today. Good Guy. I.ve lost 30 Pounds. He was thrilled, then i told him that i pretty much felt worse with joint pain and aches that i ever had in my life. Got blood work done, then may set up test.
    Maybe when I'm not at show or cruise in , i suffer from withdrawal:rolleyes:.

KKrod and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  2. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I have tried and use little pain patches call Solanpas. (sp?) they do work for me.

buddyamigo likes this.
  3. Finished my 1932 Ford 5 window at age 76 and now at81 have a hard time now working on my 1955 Chev

olscrounger, Tow Truck Tom and LAROKE like this.
  4. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

They call me the "Tiger Balm King"..
    Screenshot_20220505-075857_Chrome.jpg

Russ B likes this.
  5. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

2 fractured vertebrae and bone chips floating around spinal cord.
    Have seen too many back surguries gone bad that I won't do it to have the chips removed.

6. wicarnut

wicarnut

Aging "SUCKS" At 74 I'm doing another DIY project, tear off and shingle job on my barn shaped storage shed, not a big job 4 square.(400 sq ft) I called around to hire someone as I should not be climbing up on stuff anymore, only could get 1 quote, all too busy or too small of a job, $1200 plus materials, aprox $1600/$1700 total for a 4 square job, it's official, IMO the world has gone nuts. So here I am again, the positive, it will keep me young, the negative, might kill me. LOL a big positive I'm making at least $50 per hour (I'm slow/old) doing this, Till I can't, DIY is my program. I still do all my automotive work because I have the tools/space/experience and You Tube.

7. Seems the harder I try, the more things slow down. I quit having deadlines for projects, have slowed down and just take my time and enjoy what I'm doing rather than turn it into a job. The days of all-nighters for days on end to make a certain show are long behind me now, I'll leave that for the youngsters.

8. topher5150

topher5150

Getting close to 40 I'm just starting to feel some of the aches and pains. I think the hardest part has been that life has been beating me down so much over the past ten years that I've gotten to the point to sometime force myself to do what I want to with this car and to take better care of myself.
    I look at my grand pa and he ain't no spring chicken but he still gets around like he's in his 60s

9. A little boy sat down and cried
    An old man passing asked him why
    He said “I can’t do what the big boys do “
    The old man sat down and he cried too…

10. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

I TRY TO ENJOY MYSELF EVERY DAY FOR THE ONES I HAVE LEFT

11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I wake up with sore knees and back, some days almost crawl out of bed. Then I remember that I woke up next to my better half of the last 20 years instead of either ex and I thank God for another day.

12. Bob K and I were sitting at the entrance to Salina several years ago. This was before he got cancer but he had started to use a scooter to get around. We spent several hours talking about many subjects. A.D.D of conversation would be accurate. At one point we were talking about aging. He mentioned that a friend came by and said it sucks to get old. Bob stopped him and said he should rethink that. He said" think of all of the things you do while growing old." The magic in life occurs. Then he said "being old sucks" Most laugh at that. You have to be tough to get old and not let life hurt you. To laugh everyday no matter the pain is a privilege. :)

1low52, MO_JUNK, wicarnut and 2 others like this.
  13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Years ago I had to buy knee pads to work in, (diamond deck plating is a killer on the knees) but forgot about them until laying concrete a few months ago. What a diffence they make! Now they're used anytime I need to work on my knees. Have I mentioned hate laying tile?

Special Ed and Splitbudaba like this.
  14. mickeyc

mickeyc

I do think it is also a matter of encouragement. I have a somewhat unusual
    source of such. The fellows I rent my work space from have become
    good friends over the several years I have been there. The father is well into his
    80s and still works 5 days a week. It is his leisure activities that are impressive.
    The gentleman will hook up his v/6 Chevy powered 18 ft. flat boat with tiller
    steering and head off to his hunting/ fishing camp at 4 in the a.m. After the launch
    It is an hour run deep into the wild ass lake and marsh area near Lake Des All
    emands for a day of fishing or hog hunting. Usually by himself. His son who
    is also his business partner keeps a fast boat at the ready just in case he would need to
    go to his assistance. When he and I discussed his concern he said his dad had always
    lived like a free man and if he chooses to still carry on as one so be it. The son is
    an absolute master craftsman in the restoration and creation of vintage or reproduction
    doors, windows, shutters and any architectural wooden components. His work is in high demand
    among contractors and can be found in the finest buildings and homes through the New Orleans
    area This craftsman has developed a fairly keen interest in old cars since I have been in their building.
    Now he has become familiar with the nuances of hot rods and their construction. He purchases
    his wood exclusively from a another family owned lumber company that carries the best grades
    available any where. These wood guys are also friends and neighbors and very accomplished car guys
    that do hands on restorations and hot rods as well. Of course they have quite a few beautiful examples
    of both in their collection. So now this master craftsman makes daily inspections and critiques my
    efforts as well. He is quick to lend me a helping hand if he even thinks I might need such. I am
    probably one of the few guys around that has fine South American hardwood custom cut and
    shaped hammer forms at hand. All this this helps me keep on keeping on.

williebill and LAROKE like this.
  15. birdman1

birdman1

I get a kick listening to 50 years old guys complaining about aches and pains! Wait till they are 76!! THEN it starts hurting!

16. X-cpe

X-cpe

Everybody gets aches and pains. When depends on your genetics and how your body has been used/abused. The only way to avoid them is to die young enough.

17. I did 30 years of 70-80 hours a week between building cars and my actual job. This may have sped the process up a bit. I'm fortunate to still be quite mobile at 63 years young.

18. dln1949

dln1949

Remember boys, You don't have to grow up, you just gotta grow old. Keep going to the shop, do what you can. My grand son asked why I have so many of the same size wrenches, told him it was easier to sweep them up then bend down and pick them up.

19. wicarnut

wicarnut

Following this thread it appears all of us have the age/pain problems, starts at different ages/time frame, FACT ! Aging is not for Pussies. In my earlier post I talked about a small roofing project I was starting, now finished and That is my last roofing project PERIOD. I still think I can anything but my body is saying/telling me "Are you nuts" now punishing me, Too old for ladder/kneeling work. I will recover and continue to do projects especially with my cars, just have use some better judgement, my signature says it all.

20. I keep helping my older friends who are in the same position as you as I'm the kid of the group at 63. It's dawning on me these days are getting numbered as my body ( back ) is letting me know when I now do something too stupid. The "kid" part of me is leaving the building, well except for my mind !

williebill and wicarnut like this.
  21. wicarnut

wicarnut

You're a good man for helping older friends. My Mother always told me " Be nice to old people, someday you will be old " I can say I've always remembered this and did my part as best as I could, did not forget my parents when they aged, I believe in Karma or payback/pay forward. I only have 1 friend now that's 51 (a local racer, nice guy) now that I can call to get some help from which I greatly appreciate when I really need some physical help. I have a great group of car friends, all will try to help if I ask, (I don't) problem being I'm the baby at 74, all in high 70's into eighties with many health issues now, our group is shrinking at a scary pace. I'm Thankful, Grateful to be here or anywhere.

LAROKE and williebill like this.
  22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ask your DR for a prescription for this if you have covered drugs on your policy, otherwise it costs around $50. I keep a tube in my golf bag. I can have a sore elbow, knee or lat, rub this stuff in and by the next tee I am good to go.
    upload_2022-6-9_10-17-55.png
    Basically it is topical ibuprofen.

jimmy six and wicarnut like this.
  23. wicarnut

wicarnut

Thanks ,Guess I can try it, problem being I have arthritis most everywhere now, knees, hips, hands, back, neck, had 2 bad neck injuries So................ I usually have some cheese and crackers to go with my whine ing. LOL. Everything I've read about arthritis states, keep moving, Do not stop or it's over, I will be stopped. All is good, My ticket has not been punched, sadly too many people I know are on that short boat ride. FYI the drugs available for arthritis pain affect your immune system, not good, know 3 that people tried drug, pain better but sick all the time, cold, flu etc. AS stated, Happy to be here, Life is good. Yahoo ! Summer Fun !

Bandit Billy likes this.
  24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m just short of 78. Today I welded up a new left side body mount and nerf bar for my sons dirt circle track pro/super stock race car; installed and painted it while he’s at work. I’m having cataract surgeries on June 16th and July 14th and I’m not sure on when I should weld again.
    If you feel good and can do the desired work to meet your own satisfaction then age has nothing to do with being old. Yes I’m old but I’m not too old yet…

X-cpe, LAROKE, wicarnut and 1 other person like this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I asked my Dr for another tube today after posting this. It is amazing.

wicarnut and jimmy six like this.
  26. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'm definitely not as young as I used to be.
    I'm not looking forward to removing the FE engine from my 64 Fairlane this weekend to replace the leaking freeze plugs before replacing it and then reassembling the car. The headers alone are a nightmare to remove and replace!
    Next free time I get I need to remove the 700R from my 35 Chevy to have it and convertor rebuilt. Then reassembly. At least I have a hoist now with access to a transmission jack. Not sure how much disassembly is required this timearound however it's not as bad as the Ford.
    The 46 Olds project can wait until I recover sufficiently. Old age (63), a bad back, shoulder reconstruction and carpal tunnel.

wicarnut and jimmy six like this.
  27. hepme

hepme

WHAT the hell!! Are you trying to live longer and enjoy life?

28. Tri - City Rod & Custom C.C. turned 50 years old this year and our sole surviving Charter Member turned 88 this year, he has always been a leading force behind the club but as you can imagine his age is starting to effect his ability to build & work on cars, he also has lymphoma and fighting that, he was at last nights club meeting but really looked frail.

It hurts to see a old friend not being able to do and participate in what he loves to do, the fact is that the entire club membership is getting up in years and the youngest member is 66 years old, thankfully there is another club in town with a younger bunch of guys that will hold the hot rod banner high as we slow down.

I started my hot rod odyssey when I was 12 years old and at 72 I still look forward to getting out there in my old cars. HRP

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  29. goboy33

goboy33
    from Florida

My hands drop things more then they did before I look at them in wonder and smile thinking of all the work they have done.