Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 283 mild build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ubuybme, May 17, 2022.

1. SS327

SS327

If the 6 runs good it will get the job done too! Lots of them still do it everyday! You don’t need a v8 to be cool. Just having a 57 and your family along does that for you already.

raven, Blues4U, ubuybme and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dodged rain and snow showers to haul my 283 home from a friends. I will buy all this junk I can find. 20220521_151410.jpg

61Cruiser, raven, Baumi and 8 others like this.
  3. Nothing better than a 235 or 261 dressed up with dual carbs and split exhaust. HAMBer @6inarow has a killer 56 dressed up like this. Keeping it inline is always a great choice. He is a good guy to talk to about these engines.

Baumi, Torkwrench, SS327 and 3 others like this.
  4. ubuybme

ubuybme
    from Mn

Good to know….what I really need is a friend that’s really into building engines that’s local!!!

SS327 likes this.
  5. Where in MN? I lived up there for a few years and we have a ton of HAMBers up there

SS327 and ubuybme like this.
  6. ubuybme

ubuybme
    from Mn

White Bear township

7. You need to talk to Jeff Bloedorn in Stillwater. He was a machinist and builds cars now. his wife Jen does interiors. He goes by @titus and she is @stichbitch

Nailhead Jason, overspray and SS327 like this.
  8. ubuybme

ubuybme
    from Mn

Awesome! Thanks so much Tman

SS327 and Tman like this.
  9. I can get you a number

10. ubuybme

ubuybme
    from Mn

I just reached out through HAMB conversation

11. I sent @titus a not on Messenger

12. Amen, so do I. In a world that's turning LS, they're getting fewer and further between around here.

61Cruiser, Torkwrench and Blues4U like this.
  13. CHIT! Tell me about it! I looked around for ANYTHING 350 and smaller and they just are not out there!~ Early small journal stuff is easier to find than a good 350

SS327 and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  14. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

The thing about experience is that you only get it by doing things. Advice on the other hand is usually free in the beginning but can cost you later on.

Generally if you look at how things have evolved over time, the most popular things come about for a reason or even several reasons. There is a lot to be learned by building an engine yourself. You learn what you must do, sometimes after the fact and often at considerable expense. Another thing that happens quite often is that what you THINK you want changes along the way.

One of the things you will learn is that there are all kinds of things that people call "rebuilt". The vast majority of engines built by amatuer mechanics are built without having the proper tools available because they simply cost too much money for an amatuer to purchase for limited builds. Still, a lot of guys have built some decent engines and been successful. There is nothing more commonly available than a smallblock Chevy. You can buy a book on blueprinting engines for about $25. It will explain the proper way to do things in much greater detail than you need, but understanding the best way often allows you to find an acceptable way without setting yourself up for failure.Also, lots of videos on Utube these days, I would binge on them. Watch some of the well equipped guys and some of the less well equipped ones too. You will gradually begin to develop your own thoughts on building an engine.
    There are far too many things that can cause a rebuilt engine to be bad. Things sometimes don't show up till you fire the engine up. If on the other hand you get all the different things checked (like pressure testing and magnafluxing and some other stuff), you get to a point of the engines costs getting out of hand. If something does turn out to be bad, all the money you spent to get to that point just got thrown away.

No matter which Chevy smallblock (or 6 cyl) you build, costs will generally be about the same for equivalent parts. Machining expenses will also be about the same. Lots of guys swear they like/love their 283's, but you have to wonder why the vast majority of rodders aren't searching every nook and cranny to find them. Why doesn't everyone just use a 283? Why did GM feel the need to keep increasing the capacity of the smallblock? GM got to 400 cubic inches and aftermarket companies have 427/434" versions. There may be some manufacturer of aftermarket 283 engines, but I'm unaware of any that do.

There isn't really a great power difference between the 6 cylinder you have, and the V8. I'd suggest that you take your 6 and get on an expressway and drive it about a hundred miles. See how it does in todays traffic, and check your gas mileage as well. My son had one of the last versions of the venerable smallblock in an OT Camaro with a 6 speed transmission. Putting it in 6th gear and setting the cruise control he got really good mileage (bout 25).

No matter what any of us internet experts tell you, look at what evolution has done to the car industry and why it did it. Decide if you really don't care much about performance or if it would actually be nice to have performance and driveability for essentially the same money. Its your build and your choice and us old curmudgeons don't really have a dog in the fight. Only you can decide what will make you happy and satisfy your needs. Use logic instead of only what tugs at your heart.
    I've told you what I think is the best path to take, and taken a little flak over it by others who disagree. Thats fine with me, I don't want everyone to do exactly the same thing, and expressing those opinions gave YOU a chance to see the discourse. The one theme I do see in those that are recommending the 283 is that basically most of them are just saying "go for it" or that they like a 283. The one thing that seems to be missing is any explanation of why the 283 will be superior or a better choice. On the other hand I have pointed out why I think the 350 will be more enjoyable.
    So good luck whatever your choice may be............;)

15. SS327

SS327

Now I think your on the right track! May The Schwartz Be With You! (Sorry just got done watching Spaceballs again.)

raven and Tman like this.
  16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I think the OP was on a good track to begin with and think it's too bad guys with other ideas of how they would do it have steered him off his original ideas. I say get back to your original thoughts, they were good and they were your thoughts. not some guys on an internet forum whom you don't know from Adam. It's your car, not theirs, follow your ideas, not theirs. There is nothing wrong with what you were looking to do, the 283 is a fine engine and has been used in countless hot rods and tri-five Chevy's; and dual quads are an excellent intake arrangement, they work great and look great. Does a mild 283 need that much air flow capacity? No, it doesn't. But this is hot rodding, its not about needs. Stick to your plan, it's a good one. Don't let these guys get you off track.

17. Very good statement Mike. The issue is, once someone has an idea or a plan, they don't want either. They only want to hear what someone has to say if it supports their plan. Otherwise they view the advice that is based on prior experience as negative, or as a personal attack. I chose the cam in my 283 based on what I learned here from older guys that lived in a day where the 283 was the biggest small block built. And the fact that compression is its main attribute tells you that overlap will kill its ability to perform. I have 214 degrees of duration at .050, and a LSA of 114⁰. I used that cam because of what I read here. Otherwise I would've stuck the wrong cam in it. Some people need to gain their own experience, then they learn.

18. Brian Penrod

Brian Penrod

Amen!

firstinsteele likes this.
  19. Mimilan

Mimilan

Hey Mate! we can all be heroes when spending somebody else's money. But the cheapest way to go is install the parts that belong to the vehicle.
    You cannot use a 350 bellnousing with your existing transmission [neither have provisions for rear mounts]
    You need the side mounts of the bellhousing to control engine torque.

The simplest method is to find a 55-57 V8 bellhousing and the V8 front engine mount brackets and everything simply swaps over.
    [circled in blue] note there is not a rear transmission mount on a 55-57
    upload_2022-5-22_12-56-22.png

You cannot use a truck bellhousing [they have different bolt and angles for the mounts]
    [Car L , Truck R]
    upload_2022-5-22_13-2-21.png

Your frame is already pre-drilled for both 6 and V8 front mounts [circled in blue] this photo also shows side mounts that somebody welded on [red] You dont need these side mounts.
    If you use the factory bell and front brackets the engine will bolt in, your transmission will be in the same position , same driveshaft length, and the stock 3 speed column can still be used.
    6 cyl and V8 57's used the same 3 speed Muncie sm-318 trans.

Also watch what oilpan you have. Late model deep sump pans hit the steering [you should be OK with the 66 283 pan if it is the original]

Baumi, Torkwrench, ubuybme and 4 others like this.
  20. primed34

primed34

Any stock V8 pan '57 thru '79 will fit. The later pan thru '86 will work on your block but takes a different pan gasket. No need to move the fuel line. My '55 was updated to a 327 in the late 60's and the fuel line is still in the 6 cylinder location. I've owned the car since 1970. By V8 pan I mean one for a small block.

raven and 427 sleeper like this.
  21. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Thanks Lloyd. The OP seems receptive to information that is alternative to his initial plan. I try to present information in an objective fashion and explain why. There is nothing wrong with running a 283 ............just like you chose to do. The difference between you and the OP is that you have a lot more experience and know pretty much what result to expect. There is a big difference between knowing not only what the final vehicle will be capable of, but also knowing what things may present special issues in order to get there. Case in point is the mounting used for the 57 Chevy. IF he employs the stock mounting, he WILL NEED a bellhousing specific for 55/57 V8 engines. He WILL NEED front mounts instead of side mounts. (easy to come by) He WILL NEED a flywheel that works with that set up. When it is done the transmission will mount in the air beneath the car with no support. The rpms of any engine is dependent on the gearing in the vehicle. It does not matter if you have a 6 cyl or the largest V8 possible....all those engines will be turning the same rpms at the same speed.

So if the OP takes his 6 cylinder powered Chevy and drives it on the expressway at say 50...then 60...then 70....then 80mph, he will know exactly how fast his replacement engine will be turning with the gearing he has. I have always felt that the "most important" (but there are lots of most important) choice a builder makes is his choice of transmission (and complimentary rear gearing). I say that because the standard for the hot rod industry pretty much became the 350/350 combination.

What many builders found was that the old 350 turbo transmission was cheap and reliable initially. What they also found was that many of those vehicles were not fun to drive because of the low rear gears and no overdrive........so many of the cars did not get driven regularly and became "special occasion" drivers.

I don't feel that the OP is really aware of all these nuances, and merely wanted him to realize that if you are building a low budget first time vehicle, look at what works best for others.

There are "hard core" factions with lots of experience that want to use specific and nostalgic engines. Nothing really wrong with doing that when you have a purpose and understand the result. Lots of people build 4 cyl Model A's.....but those that actually drive them often upgrade the transmissions while the rest of the car looks original.........but the purists will have none of that (supposedly). Generally almost everyone on here has made some concessions to newer technology.....they just try to hide them or avoid talking about it.

In this particular case, the OP wants an enjoyable daily driver. Thats his ultimate goal. My suggestions/alternatives WILL provide a vehicle that is fun to drive. If its not what he really wants, then I think he should stick to his plan and do what he wants. Offering alternatives and explaining why they should work better is not as you mentioned, "being negative" on my part. To the contrary, it was offered as an alternative based on my years of experience.

I think your project is pretty Kool because you are working for a specific goal, and have enough experience to get what you want. That said, I have a V8 bellhousing for a 57 Chevy that is never going to be used again while I have it.........:)

22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Back to the topic of dual quads on a 283, if a picture is worth a thousand words, how many words is a video worth? How about 2, or 3 videos? OK, here's Bryan McCool's bitchin little 34 Ford roadster, there's a build thread on the car here on the HAMB. Dual Edlebrock 500 cfm quads on an Edelbrock manifold with progressive linkage, on a 283. I don't know anything about the engine, it may have a mild build, or it may be totally stock with just the dual quads and headers. You can spout all kinds of stuff about how dual quads just won't work right, how a single quad is better, yada, yada, yada. Or you can just enjoy the videos:

This next one can't be embedded for whatever technical reason, but here's Bryan out enjoying his roadster (before he sold it!), too bad he doesn't know that it won't run any good with those dual quads on it....
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/NsnVk7BMyRI

Like I posted earlier, it'll probably be better to swap those 600's out for a pair of 500's, or even a pair of 400 cfm AFB's if you can find them; or even a pair of WCFB's. But don't let these guys convince you that they won't work, they do. Here's the proof.

23. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Here's that sweet little 283: [​IMG]
    Imagine popping the hood on that 57 and seeing this. Stick to your original vision, don't be swayed by these naysayers.

ubuybme, SS327, swade41 and 1 other person like this.
  24. I agree with sticking with your 2x4 setup, nothing says old school performance like a pair of dual quads, I've been running this setup for 15 yrs without issues.

Screenshot_20220522-144915_Gallery.jpg

I actually have 4 cars with 2x4 setups in varying brand, height, width and function, they all run great with easy drive ability once tuned, plus I have a handful of backup units waiting their turn just incase.
    You just can't beat the looks

Screenshot_20220522-145358_Gallery.jpg

25. Makes me think about hanging onto my 2x4 intake. Carbs are mismatched and worth more to Vette and Caddy guys (1 of each)

swade41 likes this.
  26. ubuybme

ubuybme
    from Mn

Great info, and thanks for the pictures and for the info on the original transmission. Just so everyone on here knows I love the banter and "what I would do" answers. I take no offense and enjoy reading all the options, as long as i eventually get some answers to my original questions which I have. I'm currently looking for two smaller cfm carbs, even sub 500 as a possible option. I'm in no hurry and have a great running beautiful car as is. The 283 is tore down and in my garage and not going anywhere. Finding a 55-57 bell V8 housing however has been difficult. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Also i'm purchasing the ram horn exhaust manifolds for 50$ as recommended on this discussion but the passenger side has 45 degree angle in it.... will that be an issue? I'll add pic for clarity. 277824123_5126438120768859_914697300554583264_n.jpeg 276048393_5085109341555261_2688114061518862546_n.jpeg

Baumi, Torkwrench and SS327 like this.
  27. ubuybme

ubuybme
    from Mn

How much for the bell housing?

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

If you haven't pulled the trigger on the exhaust manifolds (I'd) wait. 45 angle won't be any issue but seeing those plugs in them and the driver being the wrong style generator/alternator mounting surface. But that's just me knowing how a tri-five should look as best possible when collecting parts.

29. Let me look, I may have a spare bellhousing. May be later this week

ubuybme likes this.
  30. ubuybme

ubuybme
    from Mn

SEE.... Yep.....So bad ass looking and seems to run great!! I'm doing it. I will get smaller CFM carbs though.

61Cruiser, SS327 and Tman like this.