Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1/16 inch thick steel angle iron source

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donald N Wemple Jr., May 17, 2022.

1. Hi,I am restoring a period 1940's sprint car Aluminum body. Someone hacked out and pirated that looks like stamped steel angle iron from the tail section where it mates to the frame. I am trying to match it to the cowl section which has this stamped steel angle. I purchased some 1/16 inch aluminum angle and can use it but prefer to match the old pieces on the cowl. Any idea where I could find this? Looked all over the internet but no luck. Thanks.

2. RmK57

RmK57

I tried to buy 1/16" steel angle from Metal Supermarket and was told there is no such thing. Starts at 1/8" and up. I went with aluminum, was for a electric fan project. You could try 1/16" square tube and rip it on a saw?

3. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Have a welding shop brake some plate for you.

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

5. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Have a good sheet metal shop shear & brake some.
    I did my own on this project.
    sprint car 2 - 16 - 17 009.jpg

6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

continentaljohn likes this.
  7. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

But they also sell 16ga square and rectangle tubing and you can cut the section you need out

8. Great, thanks for the sources. Yes it looks like about 16 gauge steel not angle iron. It is about 1/2 inches wide where it bolts down to the chassis horizontal member and the vertical member is about 7/8 inches but folded over on itself part way where it is riveted to the Aluminum cowl. I want to keep that look if possible. Someone chopped off the support (hoop) that holds the hood down to the cowl. That may have been steel also. Thank you for the great advice.

continentaljohn likes this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pete, it looks good, but did the cat approve?

10. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Might want to post a picture since you mention different size legs and folded over on itself. How long also? A lot of stuff made on a brake has a radius at the bend where as angle iron (steel) will have a sharp corner. Hard to suggest something that looks the same when not sure what it actually looks like.:)

11. topher5150

topher5150

I work at a place that could make that for you

12. slowmotion

slowmotion

If Felix signed off on it, goodnuff for me! :D

Pete Eastwood and clem like this.
  13. Another source is used bed frames. Check your local thrift stores. They often have a bunch of old donated bedframes for sale

Crazy Steve and kevinrevin like this.
  14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last time I tried to use an old bed frame for a project it didn't weld for shit. I blamed the metal but yes, it could of been my crappy welding.

15. bed frame angle iron is cheap , basically rebar type crappy steel. It can serve its purpose as a shelf bracket or something like that but it’s definitely not “sound” like standard angle iron.

I needed some 1/16 th 1/2” wide angle for a project at work and had my metal guy bend a 12’ length for me .

it was cheap enough and I completed my project .

rusty valley and 51504bat like this.
  16. RmK57

RmK57

Exactly what happened to me with a rad support. The weld is super brittle with little to no strength. I wouldn't use a bed frame except to hold up a mattress.

VANDENPLAS and 51504bat like this.
  17. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I have seen slim angle bar at Home Depot and Aubochon hardware stores, 3ft lengths

18. topher5150

topher5150

When in doubt McMaster
    Screenshot_20220518-062642.png

19. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@Donald N Wemple Jr. have you tried Elbro metals and great for shorts and a variety of materials . I get my tool steel O1 A2 and Delron from them
    What length do you need and maybe I have a bit laying around or can bend you one up.

rusty valley likes this.
  20. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

When looking for thin steel angle iron, look no farther than the local U-Haul storage area. They usually have a spot within the storage building that people put stuff they can't fit into their storage locker or decided just to give it up. I always able to pick up the angle steel that is use for bed frames. Good clean steel, painted and spent most of its life indoors.

21. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

What’s that steering gear ? I’m needing one that looks very similar to that one. The original car I’m cloning used a modified Franklin steering gear.

22. wahoo

wahoo

Bed frames are made from spring steel. Welding makes them brittle. The only thing I use them for is lawn edging

COCONUTS likes this.
  23. Hi. Yes you are right the vertical component was rolled a bit and gave the appearance of folded over under better light condition. I will try Mc master- Carr as they have a store very close to me and if not I will just get 1/16 square tube stock and cut the height I need from that. I am keeping the other sources you have mentioned in case I get in trouble with the nose section. I tried locally to secure a 2x4 sheet of 1100 series aluminum .065 thick for parts of the body that were cut out or damaged. They wanted $365.00 for it. I found on-line metals and they sold me the same thing including shipping for $117.00 Will post a photo.

24. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Aluminum is nuts right now and had to buy some bits the other day .
    I recommend this place as prices are decent and might be close to you 0B29135E-7AB8-4D7F-953B-91D55E13CDE7.png

rusty valley likes this.
  25. Great another source. Appreciate it. Here is a shot of the angle I am trying to match. I purchased a strip of Aluminum angle to see just how that looked. Big difference between the 2 of them. Also the rivets on there are funky to boot. Looks like hand hammered flat and a bit wider horizontally than vertically not round so will try a Big Flats Rivet company near here I got rivets from before for another project. Body panels came from Conn.

Attached Files:

26. jimvette59

jimvette59

I have cut many lineal feet of square tubing from Home Depot on my band saw to make 1/6 angle iron. Just made a setup with heaver angle iron . JMO

27. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

It’s amazing how many different rivets are made and many for specific applications. We made components for a number of companies and each had their own rivets . What’s the head of the rivets diameter and height if you can read it
    As far as the 90 degree sheet metal strip it looks like it was done on a brake . You can adjust the amount of radius by pulling the beam back from the bed or adjust the apron . I hate to say it but this also happens when you reach your brakes capacity. image.jpg image.jpg

rusty valley likes this.
  28. Yep, I'll second that. I've never had any issues with welding it either, just clean where you're welding. Not something I'll use where it's under heavy stress but for the intended use it'll be fine. Used it some to build bag brackets for a riding lawnmower, if the vibration of that didn't break it I see no issues here.