Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Petronix Drop in Dizzy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jax59, May 16, 2022.

1. jax59

jax59
    from nor cal

Hey fellas, anyone tried one of these plug and play dizzy’s from Petronix?? Now before ya start yappin about billit this and not traditional that. Just curious if any one has tried on of their complete distributors

Thanks fellas

J59

2. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

drop it in the trash... Quality is junk to say the least.

Gasser 57 likes this.
  3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Jax -

Don't know what you are concerned about...

I've installed and used about six Pertronix modules over the years (two were mine). Put almost 70,000 on one before selling the car, and just over 90,000 before selling the second car. The others, as far as I know, also had..."zero" problems. In my first one, I even did a Pertronix, "no-no" and turned on the accessory (early model) to listen to the radio, multiple times. This was a bad thing many years back. Guess what, yeah, it went about 70,000 miles, despite my lack of following the rules !

As far as a modern "distributor" (what's a dizzy ?) housing, what's to go wrong ?

Think about it...if their stuff was crap, they'da gone outta business MANY years ago, not gone on to increase their product line and stay viable for 60 some years !!

Mike

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  4. Driver50x

Driver50x

Yes. I have their small cap, small block Chevy distributor. 2 years and 10,000 miles with zero problems.

hidez57 and hrm2k like this.

5. jax59

jax59
    from nor cal

Thanks Brother

That’s the short answer I was looking for

J59

anothercarguy and Driver50x like this.
  6. Deadbird

Deadbird

I've been running one trouble free in my C10 for several years.

hidez57 likes this.

7. Bravo!!

Ben

8. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Just be sure you use their coil and spark plug wires. As mentioned, don’t turn on the ignition other than to start up. If you leave the ignition on, it will burn out the module.
    I used them on two cars no problem. They’re fine for the street, not the strip

9. jax59

jax59
    from nor cal

Let me clarify, I’m speaking about the complete distributor from Petronix, not the Ignitor module by itself in a stock distributor . I’ve ran an Igniter for 10 plus years in my 55’ Fairlane. I’m pulling out my YBlock for rebuilding and 4bbl upgrades, my Loadamatic distributor won’t work with a 4bbl so new distributor is needed , the typical auto parts store replacements are unreliable and the core supply has dried up. Manufacturers are retrofitting Winsor castings and calling them YBlock distributors Petronix offers a complete distributor and was wondering if anyone has used one and how they like it. Driver50x had the answer I was looking for.

Thanks

J59

jimmy six likes this.
  10. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Tried 2 different distributors and coil systems.... junk..... both.

Wouldn't put their stuff in my car, went thru their tech lines, sent in and received a different one, bought all their recommended parts and accessories to go with it and still the same junk. So I used their entire "kit" and ended up spending more money on their crap, it's all setting in a box, all parts don't have 20 miles on any of it, they wouldn't make it any further than that.

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It would be nice to get all the dimensions so you know the gear is in the correct place and the oil pump drive is inserted far enough. I assume it has a vacuum advance also. You might contact Ted Eaton at Eaton Balancing in Leona Texas and ask him. A lot of YBlock parts are tested by him on his dyno prior to being sold…I have no idea if he has tested one or not.
    My Pet II has been in 9 years. Their coil and I kept the stock ballast resistor. According to them, my choice, either way is fine. Cleaned the inside of the cap 3 months ago for the first time, not that bad. We run an MSD in our race car and need to clean the inside of the cap 2 times a season.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  12. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I have the cast look ignitor 3 with rev limiter, and their coil.. 3 years going swell.

1940Willys likes this.
  13. jax59

jax59
    from nor cal

Sound good, I think I’m leaning that way

14. Rand Man

Rand Man

I’ve had great luck with their modules, but never used the complete unit. I say go for it.
    I have had to replace several distributors in off topic vehicles. I don’t blame you for being skeptical on this subject.

15. dln1949

dln1949

Have two running 40 Fords, small block chevy's and Petronix equipped. The pick up has been running with a petronix distributor since 2011 and my wagon has the same, 2015. Put the correct coil in with it and drive it.

16. Been using their stuff for 40+ years. Never had a problem, never left me stranded.

17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found one negative statement. The person could not get the timing to settle down. Removed the distributor and found the gear to be slightly smaller. Installed a new stock gear and it worked perfect.

18. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Jax59, I have a 55 Tbird/w 292 Y-block. The Loadomatic distributor will work with the Holley 4000 "Teapot" carburetor, which is OEM for 55-56 Tbirds . The Teapot can also be modified to be compatible with 57-up distributors that have both vacuum and mechanical advance. If you want to go electronic, take a look at the CRT distributor. Ted Eaton (eatonbalancing.com) evaluated one and posted on y-blocksforever.com. I have an OEM 57 Tbird tach-drive distributor, but I will probably go with the CRT. I could go with the Pertronix ll conversion, but my OEM distributor, unlike the CRT, does not have an adjustable vacuum advance.

I can't speak for the Pertronix distributor, but a family member has used the Pertronix l conversion in his 65 Mustang for years/w no complaints.

19. 55blacktie

55blacktie

If you want a "soft" rev limiter, the Pertronix 6000 is compatible with their conversions and with aftermarket electronic distributors.

20. They key to having a good outcome with a pertronix of any type (module or complete Distributor ) is good grounds. I run a small wire from the bottom of the distributor body, to the engine ground. that is then tired directly to the battery. Good grounds and you will have no problems.

jimmy six, wraymen and olscrounger like this.
  21. bchctybob

bchctybob

I used their "Stock Look" Chevy distributor in the 340 hp 327 in my '56 Chevy (actually a disguised 350) with great results. It started and ran better right out of the box and looked like it belonged there. I've installed their modules in several cars and no problem. Read and understand the instructions.

olscrounger likes this.
  22. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ This-have used many in stock distributors over the years-no issues except had their coil go bad on one yrs ago,

23. I have been running their complete kit in my gasser for about15 years when it about2 years old it went dead . Looked like it was eating the cap .Talked to the tech he said send it back sent me a brand new one no charges . Have not had a problem since .

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have installed more of their modules I can count. I have installed dozens of their distributors.

My customers have driven likely over one-million-miles with their parts without failures. No quality issues. No strandings.

I did kill one about 20-years ago, an Ignitor 1, but I left the key on for a very long time (like days).

25. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I recently did a full pertronix coversion with a can-type coil on my 1941 Ford 9N tractor. It has never -EVER- run better. It'll start at lowest idle and doesn't stumble at all when letting the clutch go. I also had one in a Flathead V8 and it, too ran better than ever.

firstinsteele and gimpyshotrods like this.
  26. manyolcars

manyolcars

My Pertronix coil failed after 16 years. But I like their products

27. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Been using Pertronix ignition parts for a very long time many thousands of miles including two round trips coast to coast across America running only vintage engine's. Our many vintage engine Land Speed records have been set with only Pertronix ignition parts. Their stuff works well if you pay attention to the instructions.
    Ronnieroadster

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  28. glrbird

glrbird

Follow the instructions exactly, that’s the problem with most units.

flatheadpete and Hotrodmyk like this.