Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hinge pin tool

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harpo1313, May 16, 2022.

1. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Anyone try the hinge pin removal tool from Drakes yet? I know it hasn't been available till lately but looks to be well made.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. My friend used one. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. You may have to heat the hinge or even drill out the pin if it is really stuck. Penetrating oil helps. The tool is a quality piece, but has its' limitations.

3. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I have one and used it a few times with success. Nice tool to have imho.

4. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have one and used it with limited success. As above, heat is your friend .

5. I had one, use it 3 times and the 3rd time it broke, I should have used heat to encourage the pin to press out. HRP

Hotrodmyk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. I used one that a friend had a few years ago on my 39, well i tried to use it. It did nothing. Id say that if the pins have been out in the last 30 years than it would probably work fine. Mine had been in since the car was born and didn't budge. i ended up getting a cheap punch bit for my air hammer and turned it down to just below that size of the pins. That Air hammer had them out in about 10 seconds each. i taped rags and padding to the panels before i did it to proect the OG paint.

pprather, Kiwi 4d and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. junkman8888

junkman8888

Drilling out the center (core) of the top of the pin helps. It's been my experience that if I don't drill the pin first, any hammering on the small end simply swells the shank of the pin in the hinge and you're screwed.

alchemy, lothiandon1940 and alanp561 like this.
  8. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the pin is worn to have ridges on it and rust to boot, I doubt a jinky little tool will remove it without heat.

alchemy and Hotrodmyk like this.
  9. I put my Drakes tool in the POS category........did not come close to removing pins that were installed for only 15 years. I use a drift and small hammer.....but remember to protect the surrounding paint.

Kiwi 4d likes this.