Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 51 Chevy hardtop rear wiring question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cleaco, May 12, 2022.

1. cleaco

cleaco

Starting to assemble this car from ground zero, the car was completely disassembled by someone else. I'm wondering how the rear taillight harness was originaly routed? Up through the A pillar and along the roofline, or along the floorboard?
    The harness supplied is a cloth covered original style harness. Also, I'm wondering if this model has a center domelight?

2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Up and over and yes on light.

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

2 lamps, one on each side, base of the "C" pillar ...

4. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Along the floor on the drivers side and under the drivers door sill plate. You should see the drivers side sill has a larger hump than the passenger side door sill plate. That is for the wires going towards the rear of the car. You would have a switch just behind the drivers seat and on the rear arm rest for the interior lights. All the wiring going to the rear and those interior lights travel from under the dash on the left, to under the drivers side door sill plate to under the rear arm rest to the trunk. With the interior arm rests removed on the left side, you will see the openings in the metal structure at the floor where these wires ran. There are two interior lights as said in the rear, one on each side and just above the rear seat back. They would operate from the door switches that would ground one side of the bulb. You need a constant voltage feed to the interior lights and a switched negative. The courtesy switch on the left rear arm rest will also switch the negative from there and in turn illuminate the interior lights from that location too. So anyone in the back seat can turn on the interior lights from there.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
    Nailhead Jason and Bob Lowry like this.

5. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

On my 4-door '51 (granted it's a Pontiac but it's the same central body section) the wiring harness goes up and over the driver's side doors, with tabs that have been folded over the wire to hold it in place.

Phil

6. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Your car is a sedan. The Hard Top is not. The wires for the Hard Top go under the door.I think that's what the original poster is asking.

PhilA likes this.
  7. Sedan wire went over the door. Hardtop as stated above. Same thru 57 Hardtop goes up the C pillar and across the top of the rear roof.

8. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Transatlantic nomenclatures getting me first thing in the morning, right there.

9. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Right before your first cup of coffee too I bet! :)

PhilA likes this.
  10. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have always preferred running wires through the roof regardless of how it was done originally. The hardtop runs along the floor since the car was basically a convertible that they added a roof to.

11. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

How'd you guess?

12. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Yep, pretty much. If I remember correctly, when I rewired the original wiring with new, the interior light on the passenger side was also fed from below and from the drivers side. It was not until I opened up the rear interior arm rests that I found why my interior lights wouldn't work. The wiring going to the back and along the floor had literally disintegrated from sitting in water that had leaked down into that area from the rear quarter window.

13. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I've been there!

PhilA likes this.
  14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not including the dome light it’s only 5 wires if you had backup light or lights. Today using the 4 color trailer loom is an ezway or a 5-6 wire conductor cable. 18 gauge is correct for the load.

15. ...I use drop cords for wiring the rear of cars,,...it's double insulated.