Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 56 New Yorker Drive Train Choice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Randy Stertz, May 12, 2022.

1. Randy Stertz

Randy Stertz

Iam planning on rebuilding a 56 Chrysler New Yorker Hardtop. I have decided on installing a Fatman front clip. The question I have, what is the best drive train choice, a 360, 383 or a GEN 3 Hemi or maybe a small block Chevy. I hear the GEN 3 Hemi conversion is expensive and time consuming . I though of a 350, cause I have a nice rebuilt one sitting on a stand. Any one have some thought on a drive train . Thanks

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I would imagine that discussing a GEN three hemi would be off topic.
    Whatever engine you choose can be built to move your Chrysler very nicely. If your into building power the small blocks can be built to 408 cid and 500 hp, the 383/440 big block can be built to over 500 cid and an easy 600 street hp..
    Good luck with whatever way you go.

3. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

My vote would be the 1st gen Hemi that came in it.

das858, choffman41, MRW1994 and 2 others like this.

4. X2 ^^. First gen Hemi. :cool:
    Welcome to the HAMB.

das858 and Randy Stertz like this.
  5. crider

crider

another vote for early Hemi

das858, choffman41 and Just Gary like this.
  6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'56 Chrysler's don't have good engines or suspensions?

das858, VANDENPLAS, X38 and 2 others like this.
  7. Apart from being off topic here, I would consider that a backward step.

8. squirrel

squirrel

A fellow in town here put a Dodge truck V10 in his 56 Desoto hardtop....but like the Gen 3, it's off topic for this place.

354 or 392 is the natural best engine choice for the car, but probably the most difficult to find.

brando1956 likes this.
  9. The 350. You've got it and know it. Why throw money away just to fit in here? Engine swaps are a hotrodders bread and butter and some here even think it could be considered 'traditional'.

Tman and Algoma56 like this.
  10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Of course you do what you want. Do what you like.
    I do. Everybody else here does.
    (within the parameters we set for ourselves)
    Just saying... as is often said here...
    A lot of the original equipment on these old cars is pretty cool and works good to boot. That's certainly true for a 1956 Chrysler.
    Still, if I had a 1956 Chrysler with messed up front suspension and no engine, but I had a sbc ready to go... I'd go right ahead and drop that sucker... wait... no I wouldn't. I'd sell it and if I couldn't swing a Hemi, at least find a 318 or 360 to put in there. Maybe even a poly. Maybe a 440. The 318 360 fit easier.
    Good luck.

Tman, Algoma56 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't listen to Anthony.
    He's slanted.

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Today for a lot of folks it economics. it also obvious that a pretty much stock exterior with upgrades underneath are wanted by the owners and also buyers today.
    If your already planning a complete front suspension upgrade you have a pretty fair budget. A 56 hard top will be more desirable than other models which is good. What ever you choose should be mated to an OD trans for reasonable milage and a low enough rear gear get to move the weight easily.
    I would keep it all MOPAR if it’s me. Since the largest original engine was a 354” that what I would be aiming for. A newer 360 would be my choice keeping it simple with the electronics. Less is better. AC brackets are easily available for that upgrade and aftermarket intakes with serviceable carbs or the systems we don’t speak of here. There were millions of that engine in service in countless models of cars and trucks.
    A slight rake and a set of Torques Thrusts will have my vote…

ffr1222k, Randy Stertz and Algoma56 like this.
  13. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

What is this deal with motors that are from the same manufacture as the car.....Never saw an A gas supercharged Willys powered by a 4 banger....All the fast nitro cars have derivatives of the 426 hemi...Back in the late 1950's the flatmotors were going by the wayside for Chevy ,,,,big Olds and Cad motors...If someone dropped off one of the high horsepower OT motors in my driveway you can bet it would be in my 34 Ford....

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    Tow Truck Tom, ffr1222k and Tman like this.
  14. 472/500 caddy
    FE ford
    Poncho
    Nail head

RMR&C likes this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

I was gonna say that.

Really.

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. jaracer

jaracer

So the original engine was probably a 354 mated to a cast iron Torqueflite. That's a pretty hard combination to beat.

das858, VANDENPLAS and anthony myrick like this.
  18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it currently has one.. To me it might not have what it was built and that’s why his inquiry.

19. Did you not have the original engine and suspension?
    If you put a modern setup in it, just find a new forum. Its the way a goes around here.
    Or just don't talk about those particular changes.
    If you are making a restomod even worse.

20. Those original hemis are cool but not worth much.
    I’ll give ya twice scrap for it.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    Fitty Toomuch likes this.
  21. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The 1956 300B was the first American production car with 1hp per ci available, the 355hp 354 Hemi. Your New Yorker is essentially the same car. The 354 can make that power easily, and will look better than any of the options you listed.

I would keep it Hemi powered. You won't regret it. :)

bobss396, das858 and Just Gary like this.
  22. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Guy just joined yesterday...and apparently has already been scared away.

bobss396 likes this.
  23. Simple .

Why are you asking ?

original engine trans trash ?

Suspension and steering trashed ?

these cars where virtually bulletproof when new .

If it where me I would rebuild the stock steering and suspension .

And pick your engine and trans . That you wanna use .

I would go stock or something mopar myself just to keep it all “ in the family” so to speak .

Just Gary and Algoma56 like this.
  24. The problem with the suspension is it's the last year it was used. No torsion bars, so lowering is a bit of a chore and aftermarket and repair parts aren't cheap. Sometimes we forget that budgets do enter into the calculations...

Before I decided to pass on doing the '56 DeSoto hardtop I bought, I looked into what it would take to lower it right and bring the whole front end up to snuff. Lowering spindles, $600. Mandatory disc brake swap (not including the master/booster), another $500. Rebuilt steering box, $600. Rebuild kit for the rest of it, another $500. $2200 isn't small potatoes and all this doesn't include inner tie rod ends or the center link if needed for more $$$.... but still less $$ and work than a Fatman clip.

But I can buy, rebuild and install a late '70s/early-mid '80s Jag IFS for half that. Not 'traditional' but much more affordable, the 'down under' boys use these regularly and it's a preferred swap as per their rules. And unless you crawl under the car and look, who will know? Or even know the difference unless you tell them?

Kinda the same choices with the motor. While the early Hemi has lots of allure, a 440/727 combo would be cheaper to rebuild and would haul that heavy car with real authority. If the OEM motor is present, complete and rebuildable, you could probably sell it to someone with deeper pockets for enough to buy the 440 and go through it.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  25. 73RR

73RR

Somebody scared him off...
    I can't imagine that the aftermarket ifs will be a dramatic improvement over the oem. MaMopar was ahead of the curve with suspension design.
    As to engine, if the 354 is gone then an LA is a good choice as would be a B-RB. Obviously, the oem trans gets replaced along with the button-shift.
    I agree with Steve, the jag is a good solution if a swap is needed and yes, the 354 is expensive to rebuild. B-RB, not so much.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    Randy Stertz and das858 like this.
  26. 350 Chevys are fine for most anything, but a Chrysler?

das858, VANDENPLAS and low down A like this.
  27. 350 is a great engine.
    But raising the hood on a Hemi car and finding one is like the scene from Animal House when the tissue falls out of the bra:)

28. Randy Stertz

Randy Stertz

I would love to put in a 354 or 393, but the cost here up North for a core Hemi is anywhere from $2000.00 for a short block or seized motor, it just not worth it. Its a real shame. Thanks for your reply. Randy

VANDENPLAS likes this.