Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Why do you like Ford, Chevy, Dodge,etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Oct 25, 2021.

1. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Notice the big steering wheel? Just like my 406 car, which is also an XL, manual steering and brakes only with the solid lifter engines- so they used a bigger steering wheel for leverage

loudbang likes this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

3. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

That is a great question. I have lived in a household with a dad who loved Buicks and it was, for him, not expensive as a Cadillac, but generally in the same company. The Buick Sedans lasted from 1946 to 1984 when he was gone. He tried changing with the two teenage sons wanting him to get a Volvo or Mercedes, but he was adamant about a USA made car.
    upload_2022-5-7_4-32-7.png
    We even had him look at an Avanti and he actually got to be asked to drive a Chrysler Turbine car for advertising purposes. But, those ended up with a 63 Buick Riviera. So, the Buicks continued to show up at our house, with a smile on his face. We both, should have been avid Buick aficionado teenagers with our Buick family of cars…

upload_2022-5-6_5-24-51.png an old HAMB post

As a first time buyer of any car, why did I choose a 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery? My meager savings dictated the cost and it did not include a new 1959 335 hp 4 speed Impala or El Camino with Positraction. My brother already got rid of his 51 Oldsmobile sedan that was supposed to be mine, but he needed the money for his new 58 Impala. So, I was left, like most teenagers, out in the cold.
    upload_2022-5-6_5-25-53.png

Jnaki

It was a no brainer. I was into surfing/hot rods/drag racing and the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery played an important part for identity and notoriety. (It was not fast, since an 80 hp Flathead powered it, but the attitude was important.) I had the only one of its kind in all of our local cruising grounds from the big OC to Los Angeles County. Not a fast hot rod build, but a simple sedan delivery that took me all over So Cal coastlines. It was reliable and gave me the idea of being a teenager with a car. And what a hot rod it was…
    upload_2022-5-6_5-26-29.png
    After college, my wife and I also bought another 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. This time it was a project and had a 327 to start. It took a long time, but we knew we had something, as again, no one else in the OC had one to speak of in our particular area of So Cal. So, as nice as other brands were, our experience with Fords was for the nice looking body style of a cool 1940 Ford that seemed to go with the flow of the wind while moving on down the street. YRMV
    upload_2022-5-6_5-27-7.png
    Having introduced my wife to the finer points of hot rodding and coastal ocean oriented lifestyle, she was always on the lookout for a memory from her past… a convertible. Her mom owned a 47 Buick Convertible back in 1951 and my wife enjoyed the fruits of ownership and riding around with the top down.

Then one day, she came home from an all-day adventure with her sister and was so happy to show me “OUR” next car. She actually took a ton of photos of a neighborhood car show and was proud of her skills. YES!
    upload_2022-5-6_5-27-54.png
    We all do like a nice rear end...

She was so enthralled with the look, the styling and even the light grey color. So, she said she wanted to buy it. Luckily, it was not for sale, although if it were for sale, despite the cost, it would be sitting on our driveway. Afterall, it was a Ford. Determined women and shopping are two things that are a given, in any family or lifestyle… YRMV

4. sunbeam

sunbeam

I have had 5 engine swapped cars not engine replaced cars 2 sbf because i size a 60 Falcon and a 67 Sunbeam and 3 Chrysler hemis because of looks and price a 270 dodge price in a 53 ford F100 A 426 hemi in a 56 T bird in 1970 $800 for the hemi $2700 for a boss 429. and a 241 dodge in a 26 model T looks. I did replace a flathead in a 40 ford with a 303 olds that I got for $8

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  5. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I worked in a real service station in High School, asked the mechanic what he recommended I look for as a first car.
    He said GM over Ford, Ford over Chrysler. I bought a 56 chevy station wagon, been mostly chevy ever since.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  6. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

I like em all just because.!!!

chevyfordman likes this.
  7. Jim the Sweep

Jim the Sweep

Its what you can get, i e afford, as well as a style that does something for you. I chose my 49 Rocket 88 fastback because I had a picture of one on my wall as a kid from street rodder or somesuch. Plus the allure of that engine, and stockcar history of Rocket OHVs both over here on the Ovals and in the USA .Wish GM had invested in rustproofing but otherwise still love it!

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

I like Fords because almost ALL early traditional hotrods were 1948 and older Fords. Ever since hotrod magazines began, they divided the world into pre and post 1948. Cars made after 48 were considered street machines, not hotrods

Last edited: May 8, 2022
  9. v8flat44

v8flat44

Mostly a Ford guy, raised that way. B U T, I love 64-67 Mopars [owned one]; 58-60 Vetts [owned one].....I like 348 & 409 Chevys because I knew guys that had them back in the day & they are just plain cool. Packards, Pontiacs........help me, I'm sick !

10. Brian Penrod

Brian Penrod

Great thread Lloyd, love seeing the Ford and Mopar guys getting wound up. Always been a GM person, first hotrod was a Pontiac, still love em', then Chevy. Though my dream car is a 40 Willys and a hemi for power. Small block chevys rule because they are small block chevys. Lloyd you are right about two wheel drive short bed trucks, they are hard to find. Been looking for a Ford myself. Want to build a street truck, have a good 460 under the bench that is begging to be built. With today's parts I think it is the best of the factory blocks for a performance build. With taller deck height, larger bore space, raised cam tunnel and wider pan rails it's hard to beat.

11. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm partial to body style not necessarily a brand. I have a 33 Dodge coupe. Lusted after one since a guy a year older (1958) drove one to HS. Finally found one about 7 years ago. Blew it apart and installed a camed up 318 and 904. Have a 49 Buick slope back (build thread here on HAMB) with a 455 nearing completion. About half done with a 50 Ford chopped top two door with a 351W. Again for me, it's the body style not the mfg.

12. My father in law was a hard core Ford man, when I met Brenda he had 5 running and driving Fords, a 66 Econoline van, 2 Mustangs, 72 Ford pickup and a Galaxie, he was also a fan of RED cars, all of the afore mentioned cars were RED except the van and it was white.

For some unknow reason he didn't like Chevrolets and over the many years he was alive he had a lot of RED Fords, the year before he passes away he bought two Chevy's and both of them were BLUE. HRP

ffr1222k likes this.
  13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

We had them all including Studebakers, Ford, Chevy and Mopars and that’s been that way all through life . “ variety is the spice of life “:D. All my hamb friendly autos : ‘31 Model A high boy , ‘59 Chevy 3100, ‘41 International KB1, ‘40 Plymouth Business coupe with a hemi, ‘31 Model A truck , ‘27 T sedan and “Effie” my current ‘48 Ford F1 . Future finding a’37 Chevy coupe.

LAROKE likes this.
  14. 1941ChevyCoupe

1941ChevyCoupe

for me starting off liking chevy cars was from my Dad Drag Racing a 41 Chevy coupe so at about 5 years old going in that car to dairy queen laying strips of rubber at every stop sign made me like Chevy's, now i own that 41 chevy and still enjoy laying strips whenever possible , in the last twenty years i can say i appreciate and like all american made classic cars.

427 sleeper likes this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-7-25_6-51-58.png

Hello,

On one of our coastal/errand drives, up pops this cool 4 door 1961 Ford Galaxie into the same bank parking lot. It was one of those sunny days after the coastal fog took its time lifting and losing the battle with the land’s heat.

Once the land beat the fog incursion, the deep blue ocean is right there as it has since time began. Add in the sunny skies and the 1961 Ford Galaxie shined like a new car. Actually, it looked better than 95 % of the other cars in the parking lot. The Galaxie was too far away from the bank, but very close to one of the best sandwich shops in all of the South Coast.

Jnaki

In our high school days, this 4 door hardtop would have been called a “dad’s family car.” They were around in the garages and only the teenage girls would drive them around in A/C comfort. So, as bravado teenage boys, we also got the 4 door hardtop family sedans with A/C to cruise around during the hot So Cal summers. (1961 Pontiac Silver Green 4 door hardtop sedan)
    upload_2022-7-25_6-52-47.png a similar 4 door hardtop from the family garage...

To add in another quote: (since I had a sore thumb from an injury,) “It stood out like a sore thumb…”

Nice Red Ford Hardtop Sedan, nice summer weather, but still in pandemic mode. Great for summer time cruising around with plenty of room for friends and family... YRMV