Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Any idea what these knock off wire wheels are?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by feynmanfan, May 5, 2022.

1. I think the wheels may be early Daytons but they are not dentals, nor pie crust Buffalo. Any ideas what they are? And if Dayton, what is your guess of era.
    Front 4” x 16” dia rim, 72 adjustable spokes (48 inside, 24 outside)
    Rear 5” x 16” dia rim, 52 spokes (28 inside, 24 outside)
    .210” spoke diameter and single butted on the inside to .235”
    The wheel hubs have 40 “teeth” that look like truncated pyramids front wheel.jpg rear wheel.jpg rear drive hub.jpg drive "teeth".jpg .
    The wheel’s hubs are about 7 ½” OD on the inside and 4 ¼” OD on the outside. The mating male drive adapter is 6 ¾” OD
    The threaded knock off adapter & cap are 3 ¼” - 12 tpi. The adapter mounting flange has ten holes uses 5 bolts @ 5” BC, so the adapter may be newer.
    The car is a 30s dirt track banger and the wires were added during a 1997-2000 restoration. The following 20 years were spent on dirt ovals and road courses on the West coast.

2. Looks like some British ones a pal of mine had?

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  3. All of the British wires that I have seen are splined

4. Yeah, I just looked at some images and the ones I was thinking of were definatly a fine slpine.

5. TCTND

TCTND

Not British. This is actually a much better system than splines.

6. I agree, the torque is "happening" at a much larger radius and the interlocking is more solid. My "new" car is a '58 Lotus 7 with Dayton wheels with Rudge splines. No problems but I've read about the fretting corrosion that can happen. I can't imagine a failure of these if the caps are tight.

saltflats likes this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

They look like some modern Low Rider type of wheel maybe 30-40 years old, never seen anything "Old" like that. Wonder if they use left and right handed knock offs?

Bob

Carter likes this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Your new car being a Lotus 7, how tall are you? I worked on one for a customer and the test drivers were arable, my knee would hit the back of the steering wheel and not let me get my foot on the brake pedal. :eek:

Outback likes this.
  9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

They're Daytons for sure. Aside from paint, they look the ones I have. 118C61E8-D590-46EB-B804-3F88180E0C76.jpeg

Ned Ludd, The37Kid and Just Gary like this.
  10. Bob, I'm thinking the same thing. They do look like some low rider wheels I've seen in my searching(googling). Yes, the caps are handed.

11. Thanks Brian! And with the 7, I'm 5'10" (shrunken from 5'11 1/2") and do fit, just barely. The footbox is tight as in most early Lotus, but the steering wheel misses by legs.

Outback and saltflats like this.
  12. I should mention, the Ford dirt track car is even tighter. I need to take off the steering wheel just to get in and the steering wheel rubs my legs a bit. And only room for gas and clutch with the gearbox between the legs. Brake is external lever as most if not all were on these.

13. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Mine are 15"x5". They're NOT lowrider wheels, these look like Jag or Austin Healy wheels, but with better drives as opposed to the splined hubs those have.

Outback, Tman and WalkerMD like this.
  14. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I restored a prewar sprint car about 20 years ago with the same hubs and wheels, same size even. They were Daytons.

Carter likes this.
  15. Enjenjo,

Awesome, thanks you for the info. !

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

flynbrian48, rod1 and Tman like this.
  17. Thanks Robert! I missed that on Dayton's site. Awesome car!
    Steve

18. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This set is on Fake Book right now. Look like low rider types but I could be wrong.
    278653892_4795644430547327_6586457601239072187_n.jpg

19. Ducbsa

Ducbsa
    from Virginia

I can’t tell from the photos, what style is the drive? I only know splines.

trey32 likes this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

I think those are “rimz “ or “wheelz “ ;). I’ve a set out back I used for mock-up to have a chassis level.
    Mine are 17’s and chrome though, oh and rubber bands for tires. Lol

21. I'm sorry to nr so late' but i just saw your post. Bill told me that he had the hubs which may have been Dayton. He took the hubs to a motorcycle wheel shop in long Beach Ca and had them string spokes to motorcycle rims.

feynmanfan likes this.
  22. Dan from Oakland

Dan from Oakland

Pretty sure Bob is correct- post dental drive Dayton.

feynmanfan and Carter like this.
  23. Thanks guys! Part of the fun is piecing together the history and the creativity, determination of the past owners.

rod1 likes this.