Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Timing a 47' 239 using a Unilite Distributor?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Chris C Kennedy, May 3, 2022.

1. Chris C Kennedy

Chris C Kennedy

Hello

I have searched the web & can only find timing procedures for a stock 239 distributor.

These posts deal with setting points where this while interesting, does not help me as I am using a Mallory Uni-Lite distributor.

Can anyone share their knowledge with me in regards to the procedure?

ALSO, I am running 2X Holley 94's & could use some advice in setting the fuel/air ratio & setting idle.

Thank you in advance,
    Chris

2. sdluck

sdluck

Tell us more about the motor,is it a stock cam. Does the dist have a vacuum advance?

3. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

Get rid of the points and go electronic ignition, what a difference and easy to do bro

4. Chris ,
    I don’t understand really,,,,,,the timing should still be the same,,,,,advance wise in degrees .
    The Uni lite will have a different advance curve,,,unless it was specifically made for a Flathead,,,,,and even then it should be checked for certain on a distributor machine .
    I can’t remember the exact timing,,,,seems like it is 2 degrees before on a Flathead .
    I’m certain some talented guys on here have the answers for you .

Tommy

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Chris, be sure to buy a spare Unilite electronic module, just in case it fails on the road as they often do.

Last edited: May 3, 2022
    Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1. Remove Unilite.

2. Place in "Swap Meet Pile".

3. Obtain correct stock distributor.

4. Check condition and install new components (points, condenser, etc,).

5, Time distributor using the "two ruler" method (or send it to some who has a machine to set these up).

6. Install distributor.

7. Drive.

You probably shouldn't be posting on this thread.

rusty valley and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

There is no better distributor for an early flathead than a 42-48 Ford distributor. Just make sure to use the 42 cap, rotor, and clips as they are easier to pop loose and let hang if you need to remove the distributor for some odd reason (probably not going to happen).

rusty valley likes this.
  8. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

The only way to time a Flathead is to “road time” it, in other words a timing light isn’t worth a damn. Keep advancing the timing until you have no sputtering or any hesitation at all, could also make it run cooler (maybe lol)
    Good luck brother!!!

brake1000 likes this.
  9. sunbeam

sunbeam

10. xix32

xix32

The problem is, there is no TDC mark on the flathead crank pulley. Ford never intended owners to be able to use a timing light to set the timing. What I did was to remove the right side head and bring #1 piston up to TDC with a dial indicator, then build a tab to position close to the pulley and make a mark at "O" TDC and then another at 22 degrees advanced. This will allow you to see what your distributor is doing. Otherwise you'll just be guessing.
    Those flatheads were meant to run at 22 degrees when fully advanced.

11. sunbeam

sunbeam

Try this remove # 1 plug you should be able to see the valves turn the engine an watch the exhaust closing and the intake start to open and they are open the same amount you are in a couple of degrees of TDC close enough the establish a pointer and a mark.