Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SW Wings electric speedometer calibration

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jasper234, May 2, 2022.

1. Jasper234

Jasper234

I’m having issues with a set of Wings gauges, and hoping for some help.
    These are new gauges and came in the same box with all new senders etc in the kit.

Speedo - I can get it to enter calibration mode: hold switch, turn ignition on, release switch; momentarily press and release switch, needle begins to swing from zero to half way; drive a mile and press button again. Needle goes to zero, and doesn’t work again. What am I getting wrong?????? Should I be turning ignition off or something similar?

fuel gauge - reads full all of the time. Checked the wiring and it’s all good. Sender came with the gauge.

Are these just shit gauges? I’m not great at electrics and had a really reputable guy wire the car.

Can anyone help?

thanks in advance

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have used a few sets of electric Wings gauges and found calibrating the speedo to be very frustrating. I have went to using the Vintage style Autometer gauges with a GPS sender. No problems. I know this doesn't help you, just my experience.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

I haven't had any experience with calibrating the SW electronic speedos, so can't offer any advice on that.
    Fuel gauges and sending units always check the ground circuits, disconnect the sending wire at the tank and see if the needle goes back to empty, make sure the tank unit has a good ground.

5. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

On the fuel sender, if you have plate with the 5 screws around the circle, I will always run a ground wire from a screw to the chasis.
    It's pretty easy to get the float jammed up in the tank also.

6. Jasper234

Jasper234

BUMP re speedo….?

7. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

The only thing I can think of is that your total pulse count is exceeding the top range of 100,000 pulse’s per mile. Looking at the instructions on line that count has to be between 3000 to 100,000. So if you are above or below that pulse range the speedometer won’t accept it. Also, is the pulse generator input turning, do you have a bad speedometer driven gear? If you can get your hands on a speedometer and cable with a 7/8-18 nut hook it up and see if it works, you could also use a pulse counter but who has one just lying around right. If your total pulse count is over the 100,000 range you’ll have to find a way to reduce that by going to the largest driven gear possible or a ratio adapter to slow the pulse count down.

51504bat likes this.
  8. I have a set in my '32 and I have never got the speedometer to read correctly, I just have learned to compensate, what bugs me is the click it makes every tenth of a mile. HRP

9. Jasper234

Jasper234

I think what I’m hearing is that despite selling them boxed as a set, they essentially don’t work. I haven’t found anyone that has a set that works properly, reads properly or works at all. More expensive aftermarket shit. I used this setup to avoid using a cable to keep the car wiring clean and simple and avoid holes in panels. Should have kept it simple

10. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Forgot to mention on one set of SW electric gauges I tried the Speedometer interface module from Dakota Digital without satisfactory results.

e1956v likes this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

Any idea of the quality of the SpeedHut units?

13. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Have not heard any complaints, there are a couple of threads on GPS speedometers and speedhut units try a search. I think I saw one within the last couple of days.

Budget36 likes this.
  14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I have SW Wings gauges in my truck, and yeah, they're crap. I've tried several times to calibrate the speedo, per the instructions, and have given up. I'm used to it reading half speed after 10 years. The tach likewise (although that may be the ECU's fault, but we can't talk about that here) and the needles have fallen off the oil pressure and temp gauges twice over winter. The gas gauge works great however, which, really, is the only one I need. I use a speedo app on my phone if I really care how fast I'm going.