Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Shipping for transmission Fla-Calif???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by impala59, May 1, 2022.

1. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

What are the options to have a old powerglide transmission shipped from Miami to N.Calif? I know I know why do I want to ship a powerglide well its the original 63 super sport model with the shifter bolting on the transmission. Thanks

BigDogSS likes this.
  2. NoelC

NoelC

Probably cheapest is strapped to a pallet, truck freight. Depot to depot drop and pick up.

49ratfink likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

I would do a lot more looking around your area before paying for expensive shipping of a heavy/bulky item

4. Call R and L freight Services for a quote. I had a T5 trans shipped from Ohio to Calif,and it wasnt too bad. Its a nation wide company so they likely handle it the whole trip. My trans came on a pallet.

49ratfink and SS327 like this.

5. junkman8888

junkman8888

Years ago I used "Greyhound" to ship some '37 Chevy body parts to California, was half the price of other shippers, bad part being freight is put on the bus if they have room so there may be unexpected delays.

6. Budget36

Budget36

Was it crated, or just on a pallet?

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used R+L and Daylight Transport, both with good results.

SS327 likes this.
  8. 37gas

37gas

I don't know about shipping cost but as far as packing I had a T 5 shipped to me in a plastic storage tote like the ones you get at Lowe's . He went to Lowe's got a tote that was big enough to fit the transmission, put card board down on the bottom put the transmission in and filled all around with more card board. then put the top on and drilled small holes all around the top every two or three inches and zip tie it shut. This will help with handling and keep any tranny fluid from spilling out

VANDENPLAS and irishsteve like this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

am aluminum powerglide with converter weighs right at 150 lbs. That knocks it out of riding on the big dogs that have a 100 lb weight limit on freight. Since Grayhound dropped most of their actual bus stations shipping with them might be a bit iffy now. The last time I shipped anything with them I had to haul a boxed up 54 Chevy truck fender 20 miles to a mini mart that served as a bus stop that handled freight.
    An aluminum glide should fit in one of the 27 gallon totes from Lowes or Costco. A piece of plywood or osb on the bottom helps a lot with the strength factor of the tote though. I used to receive a lot of three phase electric motors that were fastened to a piece of plywood that matched the inside measurements of the box, that kept them from escaping from the box.
    Looking on line you have an R&L terminal in Vallejo. If you arrange to pick it up at the terminal that saves some money if you don't have a commercial location for them to deliver to.

SS327 likes this.
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to ask what is special about this particular Powerglide?

A Powerglide can be had locally, and the shifter can be found separately. Is there any chance that might be less costly?

I just located one near Sacramento for $125. Even if it needs a rebuild, that's cheap.

11. My Flathead came from Minnesota on a pallet shipped on Fed Ex freight .
    It was well packaged,,,,arrived without a scratch ,,I picked it up at the terminal .
    Cost 200 bucks,,,,,probably weighed 700 pounds,,,,counting the pallet ,,and reinforced 2x4 s .

Tommy

Beanscoot likes this.
  12. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fastenal? About a year ago there was a problem getting stuff from the eastern half of their system to the western half. Maybe lack of drivers ;I don't remember. It might be resolved by now.

13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. I believe its a numbers game for him..

15. spudshaft

spudshaft

I’d check greyhound if fastenal isn’t an option. The only negative for me is you have to run the gauntlet of the crowd at the bus station

16. SS327

SS327

R&L is great!! You can even request the driver call you when he is near.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  17. Budget36

Budget36

Do they pick up? Or? I’ve some stuff that needs to go to the east coast

18. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

Tailshaft is different on a 63 super sport and shifter bolts on the tailshaft,

19. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

Thanks everyone for the help, Will call R&L tomorrow. I knew someone here would know.

20. SS327

SS327

They have for me the one time I had to ship something. But that was years ago so I would call and ask. I also used to be a business. Ups is one company I would not ship with. They think FRAGILE “is French for kick off truck left footed”.

Budget36 likes this.
  21. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

22. 5window

5window

I'd add a bunch of "This side up" stickers,too, to try to jeep the plywood protection on the bottom.

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

we use R&L here at work. R L stands for Really Late.:) they do have good rates (for us anyway) one time users pay a crazy rate. it is sometimes cheaper to get it shipped from somewhere with a dock as they may charge extra for home pickup where they need a liftgate.

24. nickleone

nickleone

Make sure to drain all fluid from the trans and then put something to catch any you missed. If your freight damages other items in the shipment you are liable. As suggeswted a tote is the best method.

Nick

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  25. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

More info: The Powerglide for the 1963 Impala SS has a unique tailshaft housing made ONLY for this model of car. No other year or model of Powerglide will work in a 1963 Impala SS and still use the factory floor shifter. Not even a PG from a 1963 regular Impala (non-SS).

Last edited: May 2, 2022
    Beanscoot likes this.
  26. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

Yes that's correct. Most guys using newer transmissions are using a aftermarket shifter designed to look like the original but one look and you can tell it's aftermarket.

27. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Had a 4 banger motor shipped from Mo. to Ca. Used U-Ship and they brokered to YRC lines, $168, but then after the broker fees and such it came out to just under $300. You have to be careful, do you have a forklift or dock, extra if you dont, Residential or business, fee for residential, Tracking and call before delivery extra. You cant get shipping insurance with used auto parts, Do you homework and ask plenty of questions

28. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Go to Freightquote.com

They will provide you with quotes from about 10 companies and you can pick the cheapest one. I had something that I was quoted $1,000 to ship. Friend who owns a company got me his discount price....$500
    Freightquote had one for $220

29. Jokester

Jokester

Just a suggestion. Why not just ship the tailhousing and put it on another Powerglide?

.bjb

gimpyshotrods and 5window like this.
  30. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

In the tote, put it in a garbage bag, add a few cans of expanding foam?

BigDogSS likes this.