Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New to me old '57 Chevy Convertible

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flamed34, Apr 25, 2022.

1. flamed34

flamed34

I bought a new project...now that it's paid for, I'll share photos and cool history.
    This is a cool old 1957 convertible. It's been off the road since around 1963 and in a garage until recently.
    I got to sit down with the widow of the owner over the weekend (son is a friend of mine). Her husband bought it new or close to it before they started dating in the 57/58 when she was 15 and he was 19. He upfitted it with the aftermarket tach, gauges, headers, and presumably the 4 speed and used to drag race it.
    Around 1966 it was torn down for a repaint. A little fuzzy on details here...apparently when putting it back together he caught the engine on fire and blistered the new paint. That's when it was mothballed.
    Many, many years back he started collecting parts to finally restore it but that day never came.
    I have bought it based on months of the son getting me photos...obviously everything will need confirmed when I pick it up next month but the deal was solid for both parties.
    Still up in the air on whether it was a factory fuelie or not. Keen eyes will see the fuelie unit and fuelie specific parts. There are trim holes in the fender for the fuel injection script and crossed flags. But people more knowledgeable than me have educated me that the block is not an original 1957 Flint block. The garage is full of parts I'll have to comb through when I pick it up - hoping I get lucky and there is the correct block tucked away.
    IMG_6644.JPEG IMG_6631.JPEG IMG_6633.JPEG IMG_6638.JPEG IMG_6639.JPEG IMG_6641.JPEG IMG_6642.JPEG IMG_6644.JPEG IMG_6645.JPEG IMG_6646.JPEG IMG_6648.JPEG IMG_6650.JPEG IMG_6655.JPEG IMG_6656.JPEG IMG_6657.JPEG IMG_6658.JPEG IMG_6659.JPEG IMG_6660.JPEG IMG_6661.JPEG

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2022
    40LUV, tr_rodder, Tman and 30 others like this.
  2. Squablow

Squablow

That's pretty cool. What are your plans? Could you just repaint the hood and put it back together just the way it was going to be put together in the mid 60's? That'd be pretty neat. I like my '57 2 door sedan but I'd really love a convertible, they've always been far out of reach for me. I get that if this was an original fuel injected car it's worth a lot restored to stock but there are already so many of those out there, seems a shame to undo the mild custom/hotrod history this car has.

All that NOS stuff in boxes yet too, that's the stuff dreams are made of.

3. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

OH MY, OH MY. A 6 year old convert. New parts, 4 speed, and whatever else.
    Hope you go for the Tahitian Turquoise.
    Actually that model is stunning in every color. Just that the first one I ever saw was such. Have fun.

chevy57dude, Stogy and flamed34 like this.
  4. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Omg why would someone leave that sitting outside for any reason, get on top of that and look after the rust before it gets away. Fantastic car , lucky fn dog !

5. flamed34

flamed34

It all depends on if it's truly a factory fuelie. It would be one of 68 produced - sort of the holy grail. If it is, I might move it to someone with the pockets deep enough to do the restoration it deserves. There's obviously several things I need to verify once I pick it up. Knowing what I know of his collection, there's a good chance the block is there somewhere if it is.
    If it isn't, then I would probably put it together pretty much as is and restore it as little as possible and treat it as a survivor. The history of it is cool to me.
    I'm also most likely closing on a deal with the same family on a cool unmolested, patina'd Model A roadster and a truck load of parts...

Attached Files:

6. flamed34

flamed34

It was pushed out of the garage last year after the owner passed. Fortunately covered at least. The rest of the family are not "car" guys in any stretch of the phrase

7. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

That’s quite a score, especially with all those NOS parts.

8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am seriously jealous. :) Good for you .

9. Very cool! Congrats and hope you can get the Model A as well!

10. Big mike 1968

Big mike 1968

Congratulations, great score. This will require updates.

427 sleeper, chevy57dude and Stogy like this.
  11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Fuelie or not, a 57 convertible is a really high dollar car. The kind of stuff dreams are made of

13. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Me never ever post anything I hope to own, that’s not under my lock n key, with title / registration in hand.

Stogy likes this.
  14. Budget36

Budget36

Solid car! Looking forward to updates. !

427 sleeper, chevy57dude and Stogy like this.
  15. See if you can identify the fuel line size from the tank to the pump. If it's original, and 3/8'' size, that indicates Power Pack or FI. If the line is only 5/16'', go ahead and customize the car.

16. All I can say is .....WOW! What a find! Keep us in the loop.

17. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dumbfounded, drooling, and jealous over here!!! PLEASE keep us updated... We NEED more pic's!!! :cool::cool::cool:

chevy57dude and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. wicarnut

wicarnut

19. catdad49

catdad49

That's a top pocket find if I ever saw one! Let us know what other goodies you stumble on, sounds like there's more treasure. 57's have a special meaning for me as Dad bought a white over black BelAir Sport Coupe and I kind of grew up with it as he kept it until '64.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  20. brady1929

brady1929

Congratulations.

chevy57dude and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. Okay. I'll say it..I hope it isn't an original FI car, because I love it as a Hot Rod.
    No offense, but fully restored original restorations of these remind me of when I was a kid and would see the bone stock tri-five's on the road, and my young self dreaming of what hop up parts I would first install to convert it from the "parents" car to "cool" kids car.
    Good for you regardless.

22. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Wow!! The sheet metal on that car is amazing. Congrats

flamed34 and 427 sleeper like this.
  23. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

24. Holey moley! What a haul! Congratulations!

flamed34 likes this.
  25. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great find!! fuel line--inside or outside the frame rail? Size as mentioned-3/8"is 270 or 283 HP as I recall. Sold my orig fuely a couple of years back.

flamed34 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. I think fuel line outside frame was for dual exhaust cars, which would be likely option on higher HP cars.

flamed34 likes this.
  27. MAN!! I hope you bought that cheap. All that N.O.S., & fuelie parts, couldn't possibly worth much. not to mention a 1957 chev convertible!! :) nice find, indeed

flamed34 likes this.
  28. flamed34

flamed34

Same rules as my 348/tripower/4speed 60 Impala. It was one of the several ways I verified that car. Hopefully it'll check out...at least as a power pack

chevy57dude likes this.