Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Let's talk Cadillac 331's, 365 and 390's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Not sure if these will help, I did these for another member who was talking about doing a model motor with a printer.
    I’ll get more dimensions if I can help as the bottom is missing off this. 280BD08F-C1F9-4A63-82A3-E0A796029E82.jpeg EF87BB03-21AA-4116-96B2-E87F8324E133.jpeg
    I HAVE DONE THE DIMENSIONS IN MM AS ITS EASIER TO READ THE RULE. ALL ARE WITHIN .5 OF A MM.
    FIG 1.
    A= 136
    B= 73
    C= 42
    D= 11
    E= 241
    F= 264
    G= 120.5
    H= 186.5
    I= 184.5
    J= 170.5
    K= 151

FIG 2

A= 236.5
    B= 236.5
    C= 236.5
    D= 182
    E= 155
    F= 209

2. 60elky

60elky

Barrelnose,

Thanks for the help. I still need the crank centerline to the dowel pins, (J), and the crank to cam would be nice.

JK

loudbang likes this.
  3. To easy, a pleasure to help.
    I believe the crank to cam C/L is the same as a S/block Chev, I’ll get them for you either way.

loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  4. “J” = 38.5mm
    Crank to Cam C/Ls measures 115mm.
    These are only measured using a vernier , just be aware of that.
    Hope this helps.

loudbang likes this.
  5. 60elky

60elky

Thanks BN,
    115MM = 4.5275". I found several SBC drawings that have it at 4.521" so I concur that the Caddy is the same as the SBC. That make sense now that I think of it. Ross Racing Engines in Ohio will machine the crank of the Caddy to accept an SBC "true roller" chain. I think we're there. :)

JK

winduptoy and loudbang like this.
  6. I was told by Squeak Bell a few years ago they used to cut the Cad crank snout off, bore and thread for a SBC style threaded snout and also have a cam made with the same cam timing gear end to suit a SBC timing chain assembly.
    Pleased to be of help.

winduptoy, Jet96, kadillackid and 2 others like this.
  7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Interesting.

loudbang likes this.
  8. tuff57

tuff57
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from wantagh

That is a great bit of news that seems easy enough to upgrade the timing set

loudbang likes this.
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

I’d like to see pics if anyone does the conversion.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

11. tuff57

tuff57
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from wantagh

I’m looking for pilot bearing information, I have my 54 Cadillac 331 that came originally with a manual transmission. My crank is at the machine shop so I’m unable to take a picture of it. I’m putting a s10 t5 behind it by use of a speed gems bellhousing adaptor. Does anyone have a part number or a source for a pilot bearing or is it nothing special?

12. Scotty's Garage!

Scotty's Garage!
    from Australia

G'day Guys,
    This is a great thread, thanks to all that have taken the time to invest. I've a question that as yet I've not found a answer to. With the addition of the spin on filter assembly on the side of the '60 on up 390's, it poses a steering clearance issue for us lot down here in AUS, when we stick 'em in a Hot Rod, ie; a 32 3W. Sonofa#@$!!! So like someone mentioned, no problem, we'll juz run a romote filter deal, solved! However, upon taking it off and having a quick look at it, I notice that there's a valve in the block, and at this point am yet to work out if it is part of the oil pressure relief set-up, or more likely, juz an anti-drain back valve. So there is my question, does anybody happen know the answer for sure, by chance? Incorporating it back into the adapter block is not an issue, juz need to know if that's the case. Thanks in advance to any n all responses,

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

14. That valve is the oil filter by-pass to ensure oil flow if the filter is plugged. When I installed the remote filter on the 390 in my '40 I just used an over-the-counter filter mount and a spin-on filter with the by-pass built in... works well.

Scotty's Garage! and kadillackid like this.
  15. Scotty's Garage!

Scotty's Garage!
    from Australia

Ahh...thanks mate, is pretty much exactly what I was thinking yes. Much appreciated you taking the time to respond to my question warbird1. Excellent!!!

kadillackid likes this.
  16. Are most of you guys running an adapter and a later model auto trans or a manual trans?
    I'm deciding on keeping or selling the matching hydramatic for mine.
    Thanks

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  17. Roothawg

Roothawg

I lucked out when Holley was liquidating some. Caddy SFI rated bellhousings, so we are running a TREMEC behind ours.

Scotty's Garage! likes this.
  18. Scotty's Garage!

Scotty's Garage!
    from Australia

Oh also, not that it's that big a deal to fab up, but is/was the adapter something you were able to purchase, or a piece you made up yourself?? warbird1?

19. I just fabbed the adapter up out of some 3/4" alum. plate using the gasket and original filter mount as a pattern for the oil passages and bolt holes. Tapped the outside to 1/2" NPT then used NPT to AN adapters to go to the #10 hoses to the filter.

20. I like the old Hydro's... easy to rebuild and tough; plus they are the original "performance" automatic. Have run a couple over the years and have one that will go into my Cad. powered roadster when it gets finished.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    MOTOV8N likes this.
  21. Who rebuilds them and where are they getting parts? I am assuming you are talking about the early 49 to 56 Hydros, I still have NOS B&M 55/56 dual range. Always had trouble adjusting the throttle pressure linkage, worked fine if all the way forward, shifts were to hard for street driving. Just saying, would like to have one in my 40 again but not to streetable.

22. Fatsco still has rebuild kits available for the old Hydro's and I've always done the work myself. I know what you mean about the throttle pressure, it can be difficult to set-up. I know that B&M had an instruction sheet for building and adjusting the linkage for their Hydro's... think I have a copy of it somewhere. The hard shifts were what I liked about them ;)

23. BOY, if you have the B&M instructions, that would be great, as mentioned, I still have a NOS, never installed B&M Dual range 4 speed hydro set up for chevy v8, alum bell housing and such. Even have the orig B&M shifter. I put an orig rebuilt 55 Olds slant pan in my 40 behind the 331 Caddy in 70. Modified a 56 F 100 mast jacket and shifter to work with it. The slant pan slid in the 40 frame with minimal Mod/cutting using home made bell housing mounts like Olds did. However never got the throttle pressure linkage to work properly. Shifted so hard, it would shake everything. Talked to B&M, Cal hydro and so forth and they all told me they did not have anyone around anymore to help me with adjustments. They said lock in the full forward position, I did and HARD shifts. All had quit, retired or died. I ran out of GM type A ATF and had to use Dextron and then it slipped tremendously. Found out later I could had used Ford type F or Chrysler atf. Still have that trans to, just bought expensive adaptor to install TH350 The dual range Hydros were dynamite in the A/GS cars, 40/41 Willys and such, you just not beat them out of the hole. Raced with many them back in the early 60s out of the Eugene/Springfield are. Am building a 59 El Drado 390 with a 471 GMC blower for the 40 and would really like to use all the slant pan stuff on it, Even have the correct Caddy bellhousing/flywheel to do it. I have kept the 40 all 50s style Hot Rod, looks like came right out of So Cal in the 50s!!! Thanx for the info!! Davey

Jet96 and warbird1 like this.
  24. I see you are a 40 guy and an A&P, I been an A&P since 58, Boeing Renton 707 final assy days. Have 5 40s.

25. Roothawg

Roothawg

Me too. Since 1988.

26. Another Airplane Guy!! GREAT!!

27. Scotty's Garage!

Scotty's Garage!
    from Australia

Thanks Man, yeah pretty much exactly what I had in mind too

warbird1 likes this.
  28. I have one like that, will post a pic if I can figure how. Its alum about an inch thick.

29. Scotty's Garage!

Scotty's Garage!
    from Australia

Hey that'd be great, thank you much..

30. Have had a couple of '40's over the years; only one I've got now is the two-many door sedan that I've owned for 52 years. It's been in the family since 1941 so it's a keeper. Cad. 390 in it now...
    A&P was kind of my third career; tested for the Certs. two weeks before I turned 65... worked at it for 4 more years and retired. Though at present I am back helping with the condition inspection on a Skyraider for the next couple of weeks...
    Will look for the B&M instructions and get them to you if I can find them.

MOTOV8N likes this.