Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest What kind of car is Grandpa driving ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Dad, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Big Dad

Big Dad

still, a few of these bridges around the area but, not many .. gpreart.jpg gpreart.jpg

2. Big Dad

Big Dad

3. Big Dad

Big Dad

4. Big Dad

Big Dad

5. cfmvw

cfmvw

If you find that letter from FDR, could you post it here? I'd love to see that, sounds like an interesting piece of history.

6. SEE ! SEE !! Even when it’s not a Dodge , one of them sneaky ‘lil suckers shows up to prove you wrong !!!!!!!

It’s ALWAYS a Dodge !!!! Ya haven’t figured that out yet ?!?!

Great pics your grand father was one heck of a guy !!

7. Big Dad

Big Dad

I will mothers house is just packed full and it takes a lot of time to go thru boxes

41 GMC K-18, cfmvw, SS327 and 2 others like this.
  8. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

This is awesome! Keep posting pics. It seems he was quite the guy!

9. Big Dad

Big Dad

Yes , he was ..I spent a lot of time with him , no BS kind of guy , had a small farm

49ratfink and Primered Forever like this.
  10. Big Dad

Big Dad

My fun- dalekirk.jpg cle , his 79th birthday is 4/29 .. spent a lot of time with him as well, racing cars, etc

quick85, 49ratfink, Okie Pete and 5 others like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Big Dad likes this.
  12. rusty valley

rusty valley

@Big Dad , the speedster photo is just that...a model T speedster. Its still sitting pretty high on its original T chassis, so I suspect its mostly home made. The grill shell slightly resembles some of the aftermarket stuff of the day, but my guess is its all home made. Grampa certainly had "the need for speed", as the other photo is about an 11 or 12 "torpedo roadster" , fords first factory muscle car. They had a unique lower body, more slanted windshield, and lower steering column angle. The same 20 HP, but more sporty looking to attract the ladies, and show you were a sporty kind a guy. Note the carbide gas headlights, and exposed brass top radiator. Quite valuable today, very few sold. great photo's, keep them coming !

41 GMC K-18 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. SS327

SS327

The dog is a Collie. Those are great pictures! Especially when you consider the camera technology of the day.

14. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-4-20_4-16-0.png 1940 OKC

Hello,

Actually, it is great, great, great grandpa in OKC during 1940. Wooden wheels, large size two door roadster and that classic bowtie, not the Chevy emblem. He was a tall guy for that generation. My wife once met him and he was around 6 feet tall. He does look small compared to the two door roadster.

Jnaki

So, the two door roadster with large wooden wheels? My wife had the old photos, but the only thing was the grandpa’s name and his reputation of having things that were relatively on the high end. He was a good businessman and his old cars were just a step above everyone else.

My wife and I were not there back during 1940, except, later, when she was a small toddler and cars were just one big play toy. His old house was a huge multiple bedroom brick mansion and was the largest one in the area.
    upload_2022-4-20_4-20-22.png
    The last time we visited OKC, we could not find it, but now, we saw it on a digital geographical map. The old car was history and only pops up in a family digital folder. We have no idea what kind of roadster it was. My wife's parents are long gone and any connection to those old photos are also gone.
    upload_2022-4-20_4-22-47.png A computer search provided a modern photo of the same roadster? It looks the same, but, what is it? The only other photos did not have the door hinge sticking out like the old 1940 OKC photo.
    upload_2022-4-20_4-24-42.png So, any idea what kind of roadster is in the old 1940 photo from OKC? Lets see some matching photos and identifying information. Please... Thanks...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  15. Deuces

Deuces

He never drove.....

16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yes! A 'rough' Collie. That one has the early classic (right from Scotland) look, as contrasted to the refined, up bred "lassie" look that was a really popular mid century breed. Had one years ago (been gone 30 years and I still miss that dog). Don't see them much anymore.
    They're extremely intelligent, faithful and very sweet.
    A worker, an excellent herder and fierce protector. I saw mine leap our 5' back chain link at full stride, to chase out a couple of coyotes in the open field behind our property. They're great with children and get along great with horses. One has to earn their respect to gain it back from them or they'll do their own thing. Photo with the boy shows that bond for sure. Bet that dog loved "working" that farm!

clem and SS327 like this.
  17. SS327

SS327

There is only one make of car with headlights like that. Made into the fenders. Pierce-Arrow! Great Uncle Jake would be proud of me for knowing that. What year I can’t tell you though. Great Uncle Jake loved his Pierce-Arrows, Deusenbergs, Cords, and Auburns. During the depression they could be picked up for less than pennies on the dollar in Chicago. It seemed none of the rich people wanted to be seen in them. They were afraid they would get followed home and robbed. So that was all he drove or raced at Soldier Field, Blue Island and other area tracks.

18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool pics

19. The single bike picture is that of an Indian,
    the triple bike picture shows an Indian in the middle and possibly Harleys on each side
    although there were many motorcycle manufactures back then.

20. Big Dad

Big Dad

I continue to dig thru old photos at the house , this is my step dad .. don't know the other person, he liked his ol' van ollie.jpg

21. Big Dad

Big Dad

He was a mechanic in Korean war on airplanes , then worked for local Chevrolet dealership for 35+ years
    Must of taken this picture at some corp thing , anyone even know what it is ?

future.jpg

Okie Pete, Rolleiflex and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  22. j hansen

j hansen

Looks like 1964 New York World`s Fair. Skärmavbild 2022-04-25 kl. 19.42.00.png

23. Big Dad

Big Dad

that's it for sure

24. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The dog looks like what is now called "Old Time Scotch Collie". These are very similar to the English Shepard. Both are seeing a comeback. They were the most popular dog in American until the family farms went away. Here is mine. Bella on Rock.jpg IMG_0069.jpg IMG_0213.jpg

25. SS327

SS327

Love the dog and the roadster!

26. 1952henry

1952henry

That old 60 Cat had an exposed flywheel with chamfered holes in it. The "starter" was a bar you inserted into a hole, rotated it to compression and push, or step on it. Find cover if it backfired!

lothiandon1940 and rusty valley like this.
  27. verde742

verde742

THAT is a dog pissing on a wheel, and two guys laughing at it[​IMG] .

I had an OLD friend , I ask him "Mac, what's the greatest invention of your memory,? He thought for a while and said the thermos bottle. I ask; Why? He said : It keeps Hot stuff HOT, And Cold stuff COLD, I said yes?
    he said, " Bob, How do it know ?"

Truckedup and reagen like this.
  28. My grandpa's first car was a 1959 Pontiac Catalina, and when that threw a rod, he got a 63 Corvair, then a 62 when that one started losing gears.

29. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

My grandpa drive a Model A