Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is this crankshaft terminal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old school rodder, Apr 20, 2022.

1. old school rodder

old school rodder

here are a couple pics, my thoughts are this is the thrust end of the crank? I won't sell anything i wouldn't use myself, so let me know if this is terminal or not. the reason i ask is its a 4" crank currently uncut. eventhough it has rust on the journals, there is plenty of meat to clean them up. hate to throw away something getting more rare everyday.

Attached Files:

2. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

What's it for? I would guess it's scrap.

3. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

No I don't think it is terminal but it will cost to have repaired.... I had a crankshaft repaired in the thrust area... I used a place called Marine Crankshaft in Los Angles area... This was for my supercharged hemi....

SS327 likes this.
  4. mickeyc

mickeyc

That broken piece appears to be a third or so of the entire circle. I would think
    that with some careful fitting and beveling it could be welded successfully by a skilled
    craftsman. years ago guys welded stuff like that with stick rods, ground and
    filed to final shape and carried on. In the modern world a tig weld would
    do just fine to achieve such a repair. Just an opinion. I am not a metallurgy
    expert.

5. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Smartass answer (unfortunatelt with a bit too much truth in it!!) :"If I'm buying, it's scrap, but if I'm selling, it's gold..."

'34 Ratrod and SS327 like this.
  6. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That crank is pretty rough. The first thing I would do is get it soaking in some vinegar or citric acid to get the rust off to get a better look at any pitting that may be underneath. It's probably fixable, but it may not be worth the cost if you wind up with a repaired thrust surface and the journals cut 0.030" or 0.040" undersize.

'28phonebooth likes this.
  7. old school rodder

old school rodder

Forgot to say, it's a 4" Merc crank. Since those are getting harder to find, I wanted to know if it's salvageable before I scrapped it.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  8. indyjps

indyjps

Ohio Crankshaft is a well known source. Several in California as well.
    Consider if there's local options in WI. I'd guess there's industrial / agricultural / marine machine shops that could handle that repair with ease compared to large stuff they do.

Please post up if you find somewhere, I also have a crank with a cracked thrust surface.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  9. old school rodder

old school rodder

I just took it over to one of our local machinists. They still do crank grinding, same guy the last 40 years. He said it would be ok as is if there weren't any burrs along the crack that might eat a bearing. He also said it repairable for $100-150. So I can either sell it at a reduced price or get it repaired/turned and ask full price. I didn't know he would muck with a FH crank.... Now I know. So there's another opinion for us to consider.

Max Gearhead and indyjps like this.
  10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I feel like that crank is definitely repairable. That flange can be welded and machined. I wouldn't run it without repairing it.

SS327 and Deuces like this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wish I had access to those prices.

I'd get it fixed.

SEAAIRE354, VANDENPLAS and BigDogSS like this.

12. I couldn’t get my machine shop to sneeze on me for a $150 bucks let alone do any actual work !!
    Sounds like a steal !

13. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

Auto Machine Specialties in the Dirty 'No has prices like those quoted. My bro's 393Windsor we built together had the wrong flexplate on it and it ate the thrust surface. AMS welded it and reground it. All good now with the correct end play and flexplate.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a 400-mile round-trip, if I wait while they work. Otherwise it is two 400-mile round-trips.

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The guys in Pakistan on You Tube would fix it for sure. Weld it with a stick welder wearing sandals and holding a helmet dark glass in one hand..

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While smoking an unfiltered cigarette.

bobss396, reagen, SS327 and 2 others like this.
  17. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

And in a shop with a dirt floor and two pieces of wood for a bench to boot.:eek:

bobss396, reagen and jimmy six like this.
  18. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Augusta wi. Is a special place !

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  19. SS327

SS327

I have seen cranks worse than that brought back from the dead. Get it fixed and ask the good and fair money for it. It should sell quick.

20. BJR

BJR

What is a good 4" crank worth? Then you have a base line to see if it is worth repairing.

21. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Ok you have me wondering, who do you have do you crank work in the area. I live in strum and not sure who to use in EC.

22. Wearing a full length robe, of course free ballin' it....

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  23. Mike Lawless

Mike Lawless

I was a crank grinder in a former life. (30 plus years ago).
    We used to fix stuff like that all the time using submerged arc. Essentially submerged arc is a wire fed deal that welds while the crank rotates, and a spigot flows powdered flux over the weld (hence "submerged). The flux peels off as it cools. Looks like stick weld flux, but the welds are perfect. Any rebuilder that has that type of equipment can fix it.

24. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

I agree. I used to weld and grind cranks years ago with the powder flux. Definitely fixable.

25. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Its called " natural selection"

26. 34Phil

34Phil

new 4" Scat crank is $900 for comparison

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  27. old school rodder

old school rodder

The reason for my post is I like to swap at TorqueFest, great traditional car show. I wanted to bring this to sell, but I don't want to sell junk to a brother. I clearly see it's fixable, I'll price it accordingly. If it doesn't sell next week, I'll fix it and turn it and price it higher. Thanks for the advice, I can't get the picture of that Pakistani crank grinder out of my mind...funny.

bobss396 likes this.
  28. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

Anything is repairable...

bobss396 likes this.
  29. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

When finished welding it gets thrown on the floor.. EVERYTHING gets thrown on the floor!!

VANDENPLAS and Speed Gems like this.
  30. I did watch the whole thing... the lathe guy clearly knows his onions....

VANDENPLAS likes this.