Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 9/18/1949 Russetta Timing Association - El Mirage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 15ASedan, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Wow! 15ASedan- HAMB Bull's eye! Can't help but feel directly injected with inspiration to create, thanks for this thread.

Stogy and 15ASedan like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back Up...Historical Excellence for connecting dots and visual reference...and belated condolences @15ASedan...

I know you haven't been on in quite some time...Hope you are well...

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The SCTA didn’t allow coupes in 1949 or many year after.
    Thuressons Top Shop in Inglewood on La brea off Manchester shared a building with J& J Muffler Shop who split my first Chevrolet 6 exhaust manifold. Thuressons replace the convertible top on my Dads 55 Sunliner.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
    hotrodjack33 likes this.
  4. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool thread:cool:.
    It looks like the Pierson Bros. relegated their old race car to a Custom Car tow vehicle once they finished building famous coupe.
    PiersonTowing-vi.jpg

Jet96 and Stogy like this.
  5. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

This is a wonderful post and I'm happy to see it has some life in it after many years. I would like to offer one correction. The photo with the '27 roadster with a belly tank for a nose is not AK Miller but Kenny Parks from the Gaters. The lady in the picture is Billie Lou Parks. Kenny's wife. While AK Miller had a similar contraption his was made from a '22 dodge body. Kenny Parks competed at the first Bonneville meet with the number 13 which can be seen painted on the side of the car in the photo...If you have any more pictures I know we would all love to see them.

Attached Files:

Spoggie, Jimmy B, Carter and 2 others like this.
  6. hipojoe

hipojoe

IMG_1062.JPG Condolences on the passing of your uncle... We as a family started racing after WW2 as well, my father in law was a regular at those events from about 47-53 before he moved over to Indy cars. He recently passed away at 93 and after dealing with the family belongings I found some of his racing plaques that I am going to add to our cars as a good luck mementos. IMG_1062.JPG

7. hipojoe

hipojoe

After looking thru your pictures I think the picture of the young man leaning on the front of the Roadster with the hood on the front wheel is him. Special memories Much appreciated!

Stogy and ironfly28 like this.
  8. Kenny ran the T up to the 1st Bonneville in '49. 13 is Ak Miller's number for '49 in first few meets Ak ran his Dodge with flathead CAD. From Bonneville Ak ran Kenny's T, in the September SCTA program it list Ak's car as a T, no longer a Dodge. This is Ak in the T in the Road Runners photo, They had won the SCTA Club Championship in 1949.
    1_2.jpg
    Ak went on to run the car in 1950 before building his famous Miller's Missile.

Stogy and lurker mick like this.
  9. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

This is a Russetta meet though, and while you're right about AK and the SCTA there's a tag for Kenny from the Sept. Russetta meet and that is definitely Billie Lou by the car. I bet it was just as confusing then as it seems to be for us now.

Stogy likes this.