Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What the heck happened to asking prices??????!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyironman, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Budget36

Budget36

Either your don’t need the money, or you want top dollar. But after 3? I think it was years, maybe drop the price?

I’ve no idea what it worth, but 3 years asking the same price and no takers should give you an idea;)

redoxide, whoodooman, 5window and 9 others like this.
  2. gene-koning

gene-koning

See a price on something you want or need, but don't like the price? Do like everyone else seems to be doing these days, offer the person 1/2 of the asking price, or what you think is fair. If he is still talking to you, negotiate from there. If the person turns around and walks away, he probably isn't going to talk to you about anything again.

That would be me, offer 1/2 my asking price on anything, and we are done talking, or maybe my counter off might be 2x what the original price was. Depends on my mood.

That said, the last swap meet I went to, I took a bunch of odds and ends. I was cleaning out my garage, making empty space.
    I posted a sign:
    Make an offer,
    Monday it all gets scrapped!

Sold almost everything on the truck! Put over $500 in my pocket. It was a FUN day!
    Monday I loaded up the truck again, Tuesday I hauled in 500lbs of scrap.

Driver50x likes this.
  3. -Brent-

-Brent-

Welcome to the world!

Everything is expensive, the dead presidents ain't what they used to be and, now, Uncle Sam will get his part of a lot of folk's old parts sales whether they like it or not.

I have seen a few really great deals lately... like deals I would've thought were attention-getting 10 years ago. It seems cliche' but deals are out there.

Driver50x, mad mikey and tractorguy like this.
  4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

The high old car and parts prices don't phase me at all, because I'm not a buyer. That stuff is as far fetched as a Hawaiian vacation right now. I'm not a buyer because I'm in absolute survival mode right now trying to make ends meet. 40 year record inflation has everything up! I've watched gas here go from $2.85 to $5.85 in 15 months. Food is crazy with no end in site. The list price for homes here is the "starting bid". A coworker was ecstatic last week when he and the Wife finally got a house after being out bid several times over the last month; their bid of 755k was accepted on a home that was listed for...685k! Crazy ass fuckin times.
    There apparently are people with liquid spending money as I'm seeing stuff sell for crazy money. There ARE some deals too. As mentioned by others; be Johnny on the spot with cash.

5. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the only solution would be to adjust to this… I got 2,5k more for my Winter beater than I had paid for it in late october .And I just ordered my first brand new car ever because a three year old used one is the same asking price as the new car. And I dont need it now , late fall will be soon enough,so I dont care how long it takes them to make it…. A brandnew winter beater, because it‘s cheaper than a used one… crazy times …
    On the other hand I’ll have to save on driving my old cars daily for a bit, because it‘s harder on the bugdet than it used to be with some parts being not available in the foreseeable future and high international shipping costs.
    My 55 drives great with wornout windlaces ( ordered them last August, still not availible) but bearings ,brakes and gaskets are consumables I can‘t do without…
    but right now we are on our easter trip in the Alps, so I‘ll figure that out later, hahaha.
    A happy easter weekend to y‘all!

Attached Files:

6. ......True words. thumbnail (26) (1).jpg

7. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

The next 5 to 10 years are going to be interesting and I wouldn't venture a guess on which way vintage car and parts prices will go. Too many factors in play. We may all be sitting on museum pieces that will see fewer and fewer miles driven and collecting parts like coin collections. Fuel prices and government mandated costs have never gone down in my lifetime. I don't see anything getting easier or cheaper. There seems to be an ever increasing number of restored cars in circulation year after year up to this point and at the same time an aging owner population.
    My grandkids think my old cars are cool but have no desire to own one or do the work to maintain one. They have different priorities and interests. The whole supply and demand criteria could be in for a drastic change.
    Just some of the things I have thought about. I'm not known for my accurate predictions.

8. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last year, I replaced my worn out windshield wiper blades, on my OT, daily driver 2004 Dodge Dakota. I was blown away that it required two different sizes of blades, the drivers side is a different measurement than the passenger side. That price last year came to $55.00 for the pair of "BOSCH " blades.
    I cant imagine what those blades will cost this year !

9. When you talk about over-priced cars, I see a standard wording in some ads I have been following, & it goes like this - First ad - advertised price (e.g. the first number they thought of - say $75,000). Second ad 2 weeks later, and no bites yet - " re-advertised as buyer did not have the funds (B.S.), $65,000. 4th week ad- another B.S. story about the "buyer's dog ate his wallet", new price $55,000. And so it goes on, and the price goes down until someone actually puts their hand in their pocket and pays what the market gets.

10. That's true but is doesn't make a rebuildable core worth half or three quarters the price of a new one.

People don't consider what it takes to find rebuild parts when they price things, about six years ago I was looking for a 37-39 Packard transmission.

I found a few but the prices were so high I just walked away, I had a guy very condescendingly say "Find another one."

I said "Yeah, and what happens if it needs a complete rebuild? How hard is it going to be to find parts? I am sure bearing are out there but what about syncros and small parts? I am going to have more time and money in it than it's worth, or I may not be able to find the parts."
    He gave me the same look my basset puppy does when she hears a new sound.

To me engine no matter what isn't worth anymore than scrap value until it has been proven to be a rebuildable core. That way if the buyer finds it to be cracked, or unusable they can at least recover their money.

Last spring I ended up with an 8BA, I offered it up for sale at scrap price to a follow H.A.M.B. member who was more then happy.

I have bought big lots of parts, if I can get the parts I need and off set the price I paid that's all I need, I look at getting the parts I need as profit.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    Hillbilly Werewolf likes this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

Fuel prices go up and down all the time. Gas was 4 bucks a gallon in 2008, it's 4 bucks a gallon again. In between, it got as low as a buck and a half. It's just a commodity that is subject to market fluctuations.

Anyways....
    There some guys who don't want to sell their car, they don't lower the price, or entertain offers, and if they start out too high, they don't sell. These seem to be the ones you're complaining about The guys who do want to sell, will lower the price until someone buys. There's nothing new about this, it's always been this way.

12. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I asked a friend of mine who owns his own car dealership how he thinks he is going to sell any cars when they are priced so high, and what he told me was that he wished new car prices were even higher !!!

He then told me that car manufacturers do not want people to buy their cars, they want them to lease their next car

The reason they want you to lease and not purchase a car is simple. If you lease it, you will be back in two or three years to turn it in.
    If they sell you the car, you may not come back for 5 or 10 years, or maybe never.

Just last week I had to take my wife's car back to the dealership because the battery was started to fail after just 2 1/2 years, so since it is a leased car they replaced it for Free.

My friend said you do realized within the next 6 months you have to turn the car back in.
    He then told that if I was willing to turn the back in now, he would make me a deal.
    I won't go into all the details, but we now have a 2022 car for less money each month then it cost me 3 years ago plus
    he added some more things to get the car back sooner rather than later.

Jimbo

tractorguy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. indyjps

indyjps

If you want a deal, YOU need to put in the work and find the car and work out a deal.
    If you're looking at Facebook and other online sources, someone else already put in that work and wants paid, likely flipping the car.

Go old school, find the cars sitting, negotiate the deal - may take months, drag it out if the field or wherever. Keep talking to other car guys, there's always stalled projects, guys getting older or lost interest, too many projects etc.

Like we used to do before the internet.

BigDogSS, -Brent-, tractorguy and 3 others like this.
  14. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

^^^^^^^^^
    This.
    quit looking online and eliminate the middle man

indyjps likes this.
  15. low down A

low down A

weird why would anybody think a guy is weird because he believe's there was a time when NOBODY wanted a 32 ford coupe.

Gasser 57 likes this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We all have to live with those that think the value of something is more than it is worth. But, to appease the owner, they think their items are worth it. In looking at the outrageous prices that people have been paying for homes these days, it is amazing and we should all call it the “pandemic panic.” As one sees the possible end coming, everything, including hot rods and possessions are of greater value for the supposed shorter time we all have.

Yes, those shows on TV are reality shows (who's reality is still in question) and it gives the audience just what they present. It has been going on since the late 60s when there were people wanting their “15 minutes of fame.” It was more like “15 seconds of fame.” With the fast paced 15 seconds of fame, today, there seems to be a market for those that want some kind of recognition. The few who have extras in this day and age, with little to no talent, makes sure people know they can buy anything for any price. But, as we all know, we only drive one car at a time.

In our neighborhood, as well as other places in all of So Cal, home prices have risen to the extremes. The prices of hot rods are taking the same route. Get the most you can with what you have. It is not necessarily the “Deal” everyone is waiting for, but what the owner thinks is attractive.

Jnaki

We all can’t be in the same boat, but if you don’t pay attention to those outrageous prices and just move along, then the fat cats will spend their money for something they think we all want… NOT.

Let them eat cake… Well, most of them have already started… HA!

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've got an OT desirable 80's car on FB marketplace right now. I have it priced smack in the middle of the pricing guides you see, it's in great condition, but not perfect, so I'm not trying to get top dollar but I'm not giving it away, either. The market is funny right now, some junk I see going for high prices but some nice stuff at good prices is sitting. I have had a few low ball offers, but nothing serious. Even tried to work out a few trades on some stuff I'd rather have, but the difference has been too great, they think their stuff is worth BJ prices while mine is scrap. I always price so there is wiggle room on both sides, make me an offer, if I like it I'll take it, if not, I'll counter offer.

I can sit on mine, it's not costing me anything but insurance once a year. I don't have to sell it, but would like to instead of it just sitting under a cover in the garage, or trade it for something we like better. I may drop the price one more time, but that's as low as the asking price will go. Potential buyers will have to make their own offers first, then we can deal. I may just be too late in deciding to sell it, the market bubble may have already burst when fuel prices skyrocketed. If that's the case, it will stay here and get driven a few miles every once in a while.

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When folks talk to me about mine or other 50’s cars they like my first question is can they work on cars? Really good mechanics who are familiar are few and far between if your not a do it your selfer. A floor jack and a grease gun today are handy items to have when most haven’t ever even owned a lawn mower.

At 77 I just had the cylinder heads off my 292. I thank the Lord I can still do it. I also made the repairs myself just buying the one tool I needed and used the tools I’ve had for years because I raced and assembled my own engines.

Older cars are not for the feint of heart even with modern upgrades which everyone wants.

19. Sum54ford

Sum54ford
    from St. Louis

Things are changing so much, remember when people would build hot rods and kustoms on the HAMB….

20. wvenfield

wvenfield

I found a nice, clean rebuildable Holley at a second hand store for $5. I never did get around to rebuilding it as someone offered me $100 for it. LOL (Which was still a good buy)

Gasser 57 likes this.
  21. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Prices are crazy but you need to be vigilant. There are deals out there, just have to ask around. LS swaps are allowing some nice early motors to pop up. Just have to ask around. Guys spend a bunch on a conversion and just want the old stuff gone it seems. Bought two sweet running 327's this way-one was a fresh well done build with 600 miles on it--guy just wanted more power and the 327 gone. It's in my friends 40 coupe--strong runner for reasonable cost. $2000 complete and fully dressed-intake, carb, dist, wires, shorty headers and a front runner system he sold quick for $1000.

Gasser 57, jimmy six and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  22. $100 in 1980 is equal to $360 in 2022 so a 2 000 car is now 8000 today, get with it inflation mess up our world a little more every day.

23. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

There are deals out there. You need to network. My nephew's buddy had a guy give him (FREE) a pick-up truck load of 1963 Galaxie parts, including a convertible top frame. Another guy gave him (FREE again) his father's stash of Model A parts (another pick-up+ load).

Swap meets --> people get mad if you offer half the price of asking??? Lame! It is a swap meet!! I EXPECT negotiations at any swap meet, on both ends. Don't like the price? --> make a counter offer. There have been many times I offered a price, the buyer said "no" without as much as a counter-offer.

I was at the Long Beach Swap Meet a few years ago and saw a 1964 Chevelle dash bezel in good shape. I asked how much. He said "make me an offer". I said "give me an idea". He said "make me an offer". I said "OK, $20". He called me an asshole. ????? Really?? Lol....

As a seller, my philosophy is if a buyer picks up a part and shows interest, I will negotiate to make sure he walks off with that part.

24. indyjps

indyjps

I've been selling some parts and parted out an OT truck recently, primarily thru FB marketplace. I have to take a break from that site on regular basis.

I have on occasion responded back:
    $100 item, $40-50 offer.
    " I can relist it for $150 so you feel good about talking me down to $100"

Consider anything on there is listed high. If buying, Negotiate in person (another old school move) :D Be ready to walk away.
    Getting people to move off their couch and set a date and time is challenging.
    I almost guarantee you're the only person that actually showed up.

41 GMC K-18, NoelC and 427 sleeper like this.
  25. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Some guys are just fishing too. They see jacked up prices and say well hell, my car is probably worth 18. I'll put it up for 30 and if I get a nibble, hell yeah!

I've seen cars not as well built as mine selling for almost double what I paid. It's crossed my mind to list it. But I'm a lazy car guy. I just wanna go for a ride and grab a cocktail....

26. "it's not that I paid to much I just waited to long enough to buy" a good friend once told me

indyjps, 210superair and Just Gary like this.
  27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My pal had several tables of NOS and NORS stainless trim, mldgs, etc. Guy picks up a new rear fender stone guard, good sized part. "How much?" "Feeling generous, gimme $5." This was an easy $25 part or even more. "How about 2?" "I'd rather give your ol lady $3 to drag you outta my space." Guy left in a huff. Goes both ways kids.
    Last year, 3 new small air cleaners. $69 in the catalog. I wanted $30. "How much?" "$30" "Each?" "Nope, all 3" "I only need 2, 20?" "Nope, 30, all 3" "Well how much for 1?" "$15" "But..." "Buy 2 get 1 free" "But I only need 2 and..." "And I can't sell 1. Now when you drop 1 and roll over it with the car you'll be glad you got a spare. $30." He starts to walk away. "Thanks for lookin." "You'll let me walk away?" "Yup, I can't believe you're walking away, but anyways, thanks again." He came back a minute later, bought em anyways. "What if I drop 1?" he says. "It happens. Thanks again"

Hershey last year. Was that you?

28. gconnsr

gconnsr
    from AZ

The perception of a sellers market doesn't fly with me. You can sit on that shit until the end of time for all I care.

29. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im thinking 32 prices have flattened out and perhaps even come back some but maybe Im not really paying attention.

210superair likes this.