Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hood sides, or no hood sides.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Apr 16, 2022.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

If I decide to use the hood sides (and that's how I'm leaning, with the teardrop hole cleaned up to let the Hemi hang out in the breeze) I'll probably use Dzus fasteners for all of it, so I can run just the top if I want. I'm thinking I'll put a dummy stainless hinge strip on top (to make it look sort of "real"), so the top could be held on by that alone. I'll figure it out as I go.

2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Those wheels and tires are rollers I stole from my long hibernating '59 T'bird. I'll be running 15" Dayton wire knock off's, which I had from my '34 but never really liked them on that car. The more I think about it, just a screen blister with a polished SS or chrome trim to frame it seems like a solution.

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That's a great name for the car, isn't it? ;)

4. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I guess I am one of the anti hood side guys... BUT, so many 32s run top and no sides so they are almost paint by numbers here lately... Run the sides with blisters is my vote...OR no hood at all.

Deuces and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

And, I want to be different. Just like everybody else.

Deuces likes this.
  6. Boatmark

Boatmark

Go with the hood sides.

Deuces likes this.
  7. HOTRODNORSKIE

HOTRODNORSKIE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could run it both ways with the Dzus fasteners.

RDR and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  8. gene-koning

gene-koning

You went through the effort to put a Hemi in that car, covering it up just seems wrong to me, but its your car not mine.

Lloyd's paint & glass and 56don like this.
  9. I think the style of the car and the vision of the builder dictates whether to run hood sides or not. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder kinda thing. I like both of my 32s without hoodsides - that’s just my vision., But man I have seen some with hood sides that look just dead nuts perfect with them …..

Stogy likes this.
  10. Hood sides or not. Depends on what's under the hood being worth showing off, or not. It will run a bit cooler without sides.

[​IMG]

bchctybob, Jim Bouchard, Tim and 3 others like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have the room you have 3 genuinely presentable options...I'd use all 3...wall art when not in use...

Tim, Deuces and TomT like this.
  12. grdra1

grdra1

Either no hood at all or sides with blisters.

Deuces likes this.
  13. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Should have put a Corvette motor in it!;):rolleyes::cool: Besides hoods belong in jail

hotrodjack33, Deuces and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  14. millersgarage

millersgarage

Hemi's are overrated.......

Put the Dzus inside the panels, not thru them. Aesthetics

this may sound odd but, a partial blister that covers the front to keep the bugs/stones for hitting the valve cover, leaving the rest exposed and open for venting. Maybe open it up a tad more

Tman, Tim, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Like shell just at the front. Hmmmmm, interesting. Dan Fornier offered to make an aluminum hood for it. Which would be cool, but having someone else make something doesn't seem like me...

brEad, RDR and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  16. My vote, sides with screens

Deuces likes this.
  17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm in the no hood sides camp, but like the idea of having several options from no sides, to sides, to no hood or sides. That way you can have a different look for whatever you want that day.

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those Dzus are made for easy access and external use...I guess it gets into that evolution from purpose built Hotrod to Prettied up Hotrod, there was an evolution to that and it may have began when the Shows began in the early 50's

I like both equally but think about that transition often...I can hear Brian cursing already trying to get at the hidden fasteners...

His call of course and both are viable options...

flynbrian48 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  19. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

First, I like it better without the sides:D..........

That said, I think I also like it better without the hood as well:p............

I also think the sides only look good with a blister:cool:.......... Looks odd with that funny shaped hole.

All that said, I would moch it up so the sides are easily removable and stored. The hood should also be easily removable as well. Then you can run it in whatever combination of parts you want. ;)

Stogy and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  20. Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and say it, don't hate me Brian lol... hood sides are for original cars or street rods, or Bonneville salt flat cars for aerodynamics. So I guess in my opinion, if you're going for a hot rod look, leave them off. :D

bchctybob likes this.
  21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It's kind of the other way around: I went to the effort to build a car around that little Hemi. :p:D

22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I don't think are that many rules for building hot rods. Just say'n...;-)

Tim and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  23. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rough idea with blister and screen.

screen.jpeg

Tim and flynbrian48 like this.
  24. There was an article in an old R&C or maybe Car Craft where they cut out and laminated louvered metal panels in a 'glass body; maybe vents on the bed of one of Kent Fuller's Volksrods.

Probably easier to just make some metal side panels and have them punched.

And on the subject of side panels; I would say leave them off; but then that DeSoto will need chrome valve covers.

bchctybob likes this.
  25. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Just finish the whole hood, you can always run it with or without to suit your mood, :cool:

bchctybob likes this.
  26. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No sides Brian, like mine!:D 20201016_120634.jpg

bchctybob likes this.
  27. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

My thought was a louvered blister made from aluminum and mounted with hidden studs to the hood sides. Some guys just repurpose a suitable motorcycle gas tank. I always liked how you can see an engine thru the louvered hoods. I'm no artist but made a crude drawing to show how you could get creative with it and accomplish your goal to be different...like everyone else.
    It will be awesome no matter what you decide! Louvered Blister.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
    Deuces and Stogy like this.
  28. Your car sure reminds me of Malcolm's roadster. HRP

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  29. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-4-21_4-6-37.png

Hello,

You have a very cool looking roadster. It seems like a Hemi sticking out of the hood side panels is something that was an afterthought. Yes, you are making what you thought was a smooth side panel. But, that big Hemi valve cover just reeks of “let me out…”
    upload_2022-4-21_4-8-8.png
    If you keep the sides open, then you will want to create a nice header system like a flowing over the rails and out of the back. No short "lakes" style header system as the sound would drive anyone crazy. So, a nice design over, down and parallel to the rails, going back to the rear tire. Tight to the frame, but parallel for a smooth design.

Jnaki

The Hemi is impressive, but while you are in the stage of making the motor compartment nice, the cover helps keep the prying eyes away. I see the reason for the side panels. It allows you more time to get what you want to see inside on the Hemi motor. But, during this work period creating the panels and finishing them, (and the days that follow on the road) that Hemi valve cover will get the brunt of the road grime. It will also leave a great target for the attack of the little clods of rocks thrown up by your wheels/tires or other cars on the road.

For the skills that you have, you could create an individual designed header system to fit and flow out of the back. Then, the exposed Hemi motor might be a good look for your roadster. YRMV
    upload_2022-4-21_4-12-11.png
    Forget the louvers, I was a little crazy at the time and thinking of different ways to incorporate louvers of this old Friday Art drawing. I was happy with the headers leading into a long, muffled side pipe to keep the noise back and away from the driver/passenger. At least your exposed Hemi motor will still get the center of attention… YRMV