Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Recommendation for custom flat glass.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Do it Over, Apr 15, 2022.

1. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

Vintage glass USA in CT is making my 39 merc glass. After going to every glass company around I found auto glass guys just install premade glass anymore and mirror and glass guys don’t have the auto green color. Just the very light green for shower doors. I was surprised I couldn’t find a glass guy in NJ. Not that I could find anyway.
    I know the west coast has plenty of guys but I thought the shorter the shipping the better.

Do it Over likes this.
  2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I second this. 5150 told me about this guy and I'm glad that I listened. Great work. He'll guarantee the glass even of it's broken in transit.

51504bat likes this.
  3. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

Seems many don't understand our situation on the east coast.

4. twenty8

twenty8

A waterjet will cut normal annealed glass, but tempered/toughened glass is a whole different box of frogs. The tension induced in the surface of the glass pulls inwards to hold the panel together and make it stronger and more impact resistant. Once the surface is breached, as would happen when the waterjet pierced the glass, it would be all over in an instant........ Glass everywhere. Glazier by trade, by the way. ;)

Flat glass for automobiles is not overly difficult or expensive to produce, whether tempered or laminated. As has been correctly said, make accurate templates out of a rigid material of the same thickness as the glass will be. Take them to your local reputable glass guy (yep, the guy who does house windows) and get him to have them made. Remember, very accurate templates that have been trial fitted are the key.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  5. swifty

swifty

Thanks for that info @twenty8, being Easter I hadn't got around to chasing up a water jet, luckily. Had already assumed that 2 new door windows would be needed. Template was provided by my glass guy - who also owns an un-chopped 32-5W- and I never trial fitted it. Turns out it was the one of two templates he had for 32-5W's which was deeper. Moral is, trial fit everything as Murphy is watching your build LOL

twenty8 likes this.