Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical LOWERING WIND NOISE

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Willywash, Mar 29, 2022.

1. BJR

BJR

Has anyone driven their Model A with the visor, and then removed it to compare the difference in wind noise? I had a OT car with a wind whistle at speed. I used masking tape first to cover the glass to the body. Then chrome trim to the body. Turns out it was a piece of chrome trim that was causing the whistle. Bent it closer to the body and the whistle stopped. With a Model A, I would try taping the windshield to the body and see if that helped. If it did, try to fix the gasket so it fit tighter.

ClayMart, Roothawg and Stogy like this.
  2. There is one sure fire way of stopping wind noise, leave the car in the garage.:D

Seriously, in my case the wind noise doesn't really bother, you could always use ear plugs. HRP

SS327, Stogy, Dino 64 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I agree HRP, I’m enjoying the ride too much to notice
    :):D

Stogy, sidevalve8ba and Just Gary like this.
  4. And now the signature line at the bottom of your posts makes perfect sense!
    :rolleyes:
    Screenshot 2022-04-15 144159.png

SS327, Jet96, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  5. jaracer

jaracer

I don't have a visor yet for my A. With the windshield tilted out a bit the wind noise isn't too bad. When I close the windshield I get a horrendous whistle at around 50 mph. I'm sure it is windshield related, but it is still a work in process and wind noise isn't high on the current list.

Stogy likes this.
  6. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Good luck! I've never found a way to shut those things up. They are about as aero dynamic as you high speed barn. :eek:

SS327, Stogy and seb fontana like this.
  7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like this solution.
    1131rc-12-o-hallock-windshield-history-hallock-windshield-frame~2.jpg

High test 63, Stogy and hfh like this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SS327, Dino 64, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  9. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

Old cars aren't new cars. No matter how hard some people try. Ear plugs, blowers, loud stereos. All cures for wind noise

10. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Since the day I bought it I have always had my windshield pushed out with my windows rolled down in my 26 T coupe. I always thought the wind noise was part of the HOT ROD experience!!................

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL.
    A roadster is the solution.

And the windshield's
    Cut down
    Split-V
    Swept back
    Tuck 'n' roll seats
    And the paint is shiny black...

hfh likes this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll bet they're just as noisy...

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I enjoy, but do consider tightening up the ship...and as alluded a fair amount of the decibels are wind related...and truly addressable

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

32 was a huge advance in the wind shear and buffeting with the removal of the visor, smoothing of the upper area of the windshield and the angling of the posts...the windshield seal was likely largely one piece as well...I think the crank out option was still there...not a Deuce guru sorry, but I'm sure opening it up opened the decibel floodgate though...but the changes were no doubt fueled by complaints from the millions that piloted these A-Bones...How was the A pickup? THAT would be a candidate for this that's for sure, however you may have been preoccupied with other things back then...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  15. Let me start by saying that I have heard a lot of reasons to ventilate a visor. None of them have anything to do with wind noise.

Lots of modern rodders have gone to great lengths to make their hot rod like the Camry that they drive everyday. Hot rods generally speaking are nothing like the Toyota that you drive every day. They rattle, and shake, they wind blows you and they are noisy. That is the nature of the beast.

Obviously a rod can be civilized to a point but a real traditional hot rod is never going to be a modern car. Do your best to seal it up and enjoy it.

flatout51, SS327, Finn Jensen and 4 others like this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Luckily, our 40 Ford Sedan Delivery has a pretty good wind design and the noise was kept to a minimum. But the rest of the gaskets had to be replaced to keep it sealed pretty tight. Once that was finished and the wind wings had their new gaskets in place, the windows could be rolled up and down with ease and the noise practically stopped.
    upload_2022-7-31_3-55-51.png
    On mild days, it was fun driving around with the windows down in the sedan delivery and feel the air. But, when necessary, the silence or mostly silent running was enjoyable.

If no one wants wind noise, then keep those surfboards nose first and upside down. First of all, the nose is relatively curved, sending the flowing air over the top. (or a little under, but right down the roof and out of the back, under the boards and rack)

When the longboards were mostly flat nosed, then it still mattered which end you put on top of any station wagon or car. Nose first was the standard. As the wind flows over the top and back to the fins, then it joins with other swirling air and not much is able to be changed other than not having a board on top. The fins directed the air around and kept them flowing back to meet the swirl at the back of any car.

If one is to put the fin first as suggested by many, now you have a flat surface in the tail of the board, with a fin sticking up dividing the air every which way. If the board is covered in a bag, then the air tries to get inside of the bag, creating more air dams. Now the wind is confused and we all hear the baffling sounds of the air, the straps, the board cover or even just the air fighting to get around the rear of the surfboard, including the thing sticking straight up at the oncoming wind.

Jnaki

Having owned plenty of small station wagons, and putting all sizes of surfboards on top, it has always been nose first. A bare surfboard or even if the surfboard in inside of a zipped up board bag. The air flows easier over the curved nose and sealed bag starting with the front of the board facing the wind. But, the air does create noise on any rack or wind obstruction on the roof, regardless of what. The more stuff on top or the wrong direction for the flow, more noise inside.

But, the best way to cut down the air noise or wind blockage is to put the boards inside. In our vans, we had an inside rack that fit the drip rails and there was enough room to slide in the longboards, the newer shorter boards and then flip up the rear cross rail and click the boards in place, inside.

We still had head room and the normal outside of the van box noise. We did not add to slowing down, creating noise for the vans, added some security when we stopped for food/gas, and it gave us the good feeling that was always there on those long road trips along the So Cal coast and/or Baja, Mexico.
    upload_2022-7-31_3-58-24.png
    Luckily, the modern short board era was made for smaller sedan deliveries. They fit inside!!! Our 327 powered 40 Ford Sedan Delivery never had anything on top and always had the shorter surfboard inside.

Even though the modern Sprinter vans have more room, more power and stability, the minute anyone adds “stuff” to the outside just kills the factory design to keep is smooth and simple. We laugh every time we see a van piled high with multiple surfboards, paddleboards, camping gear and bicycles. They look like the modern version of the Midwest 1930s family sedans loaded up everything out of their homes for the trek West. YRMV

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

Ha! I didn't see this until today...funny.

ClayMart likes this.
  18. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

ADB3F1AA-9D1A-4E98-B239-CA26D410C775.jpeg I installed a wind-noise cancelling device...

Jibs, flatout51, sidevalve8ba and 5 others like this.
  19. SS327

SS327

Wind noise on a model a that’s about the silliest thing I have ever heard anyone complain about. Back when those cars were new they were just glad the rain was not pouring on their asses.

RMR&C and Jet96 like this.
  20. flatout51

flatout51

It's a 90 year old brick traveling double the speed it was designed to go.... drive it more and you'll get used to it.

WalkerMD, SS327 and RMR&C like this.
  21. If oil smell, gas smell, exhaust fumes, loud exhaust, wind noise, wife noise, or rough ride, is a problem for you.....Get a Honda.

Bandit Billy and SS327 like this.
  22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A buddy of mine brought his MG by my place last night for a late night drink on the deck. It smells like an old car, looks like an old car and dripped oil on my concrete like an old car. Its perfect and no windows! I doubt wind noise is a consideration.
    upload_2022-8-18_10-12-26.png

Jet96, 57 Fargo, SS327 and 2 others like this.