Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Picked up an OD trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Good info in this thread, I’ll be watching too.

anthony myrick likes this.
  2. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

When I was considering doing the 8speed conversion I decided to map out the gears on paper and found out that there were two very close overlapping gears so it really wasn't worth the trouble.

I did drive the transmission without the governor so that I was able to row through the gears with 3 on the tree...

IF YOU SET UP WITHOUT THE GOVERNOR YOU MUST USE THE LOCK-OUT TO ENGAGE REVERSE

1st gear, get up to speed, let up slightly on the go pedal, Overdrive Switch is in the ON position...
    1st Overdrive, get up to speed, switch OFF overdrive (ON/OFF switch mounted at a convenient location) shift to...
    2nd gear, get up to speed, let up slightly on the go pedal, Overdrive Switch is in the ON position...
    2nd Overdrive, get up to speed, switch OFF overdrive (ON/OFF switch mounted at a convenient location) shift to...
    3rd gear, get up to speed, let up slightly on the go pedal, Overdrive Switch is in the ON position...
    3rd Overdrive, In my case cruising comfortably 2200 rpm's, 72mph.

Any passengers I had would immediately say, "I would never be able to drive your truck!"
    I have a '69 3sp+od in my '49 Chevy half ton and absolutely love it. I presently have it set up as a five speed making use of the governor. I have over 120k miles on these overdrives, 15 years as a DD, only vehicle.

3. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

Been really hunting for a Mopar R10. These old BW overdrives are sure interesting!

4. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

How does someone tear out reverse ?

5. LAROKE

LAROKE

6. Jeff34

Jeff34

It appears that this link has expired?

Anthony, sounds like you found a good source, even with the broken teeth. If he's willing to make good, that's a win in my view.
    I just picked up a '51 Merc flathead with a 3 spd BW OD. I haven't opened it up yet, but the guy I bought it from said that he's got a friend who wants it if I don't. It's got all the accessories with it, and came out of a running/driving Merc. Hoping that's true. Following this since I have a lot to learn on these. Also looking for how to convert this to floor shift, and what shifter I can get to make that work.
    Cheers!

7. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good idea!:D

8. Racing backwards?
    Did that in high school once.

J. A. Miller and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  9. rusty valley

rusty valley

Still rolling forward...then force it into reverse

sidevalve8ba and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please be aware that the floor shift conversions for regular 3 speeds won't work with an OD transmission. The solenoid sits right where the shifter assembly usually lives. Some companies made special conversion kits for the OD transmissions. I have one made by Fenton. Although they do work, the shifter linkage sits so high that an extreme (and usually very ugly) modification has to be made to the transmisson tunnel.

blowby likes this.
  11. This 49-50 merc is for sale on marketplace
    It’s an od. Unknown shifter. The solenoid looks missing . I see the lock out lever.
    726E76EA-DA7D-4EFC-9480-759E771566A9.jpeg
    E98A3C9C-466D-4308-8270-190500C5A912.jpeg
    6010A10A-8742-438A-9EC9-381675DF414D.jpeg 4F14FB43-1F70-4AF0-8863-837253CE0147.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  12. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeff, that link still works for me.

13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

All the governor does is make a ground at about 28 mph. It is possible to have it and a switch too. Don't ever throw away a solenoid most fail from a soft solder link like a fuseable link under the cover. They can be rebuilt.
    Some later versions have a reverse kickout that dis engages the OD when you shift into reverse regardless of the cable setting.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  14. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

I recall an article or 2 about adapting the borg warner overdrive to the old dual-range hydra-matic. One more option.

15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

There were 2 models of the BW OD the r10 with 3 planetaries and the r11 with 4. The r11 is stronger but The trans will usually go before the OD.
    I am building a BW T86 with a r10 for my '26 Chevy roadster. It will have a floor shift top plate from a Jeep BW T90. It will take a little fitting.
    A key component for proper function is the "kick down" switch usually mounted on the firewall and attached to the throttle linkage. When driving in high gear (3 or 4) in OD if you push the accelerator all the way to the floor the kick down is activated and interrupts the power to the solenoid and momentarily shorts the ignition to allow the solenoid to shift out of OD and into straight high gear (passing gear).
    The Saginaw 4 speed & 3 speed use the same case. The hardest part to find is the special longer main shaft for the OD.
    Basically all r10s are the same inside for all brands. The cases are brand specific unless it is for a trans that were used by several brands
    One of the coolest OD setups was the Truckstell Tip-Toe Matic used in closed drive line Chevys. It fits into the torque tube and works pretty much the same as a BW but requires a lot of linkage clutch & throttle. I have only actually see one. I'm pretty sure it was totally discarded during a later family "upgrade" :( Don't know if this link will work.

Attached Files:

16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Link worked for me; interesting concept, I wonder how many were produced?

17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Like I said I've only seen one and I've been under a LOT of old Chevys. :D
    I saw most of one on eBay once and there may have been one here for sale.

18. Guy sent me these pics.
    Here’s another gm
    25CB81A8-FDB6-4EC5-A9EC-15774CFACB9F.jpeg
    here is the AMC/Laycock set up
    F924BB87-579F-48CF-A969-E4346879F4C3.jpeg
    6FD59528-70FD-4835-8020-34E321E1D29B.jpeg

19. The AMC trans is a Ford design.
    Wonder if it’s a swap with a Ford. Guess I’ll do some checking.

the guy says he has a lot of leftover trans parts. Several for these ODs.
    I’m talking with him about those.

Truckdoctor Andy and Ned Ludd like this.
  20. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

That AMC/Ford with the OD would be nice with a Jeep shifter.

Tman, partsdawg and anthony myrick like this.
  21. Dang skippy
    I’d like to find a jeep shifter for it.
    We’re working on the $$$ for this set up

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  22. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I'll have one in a month...if it stops snowing.

23. The AMC trans
    46032D95-24BA-49CF-81CA-9EC58ED353D2.jpeg
    the Ford of similar year. Both have Orion cast in the case
    27E23ADC-D111-45AA-8B9A-CAE14B656AC8.jpeg

24. If you're still hunting for that issue, I believe it's the one with the picture of Richard Petty's Dodge Charger parked in front of an old barn on the cover. And I seem to recall the shot also showing "The King" wearing an old pair of overalls.
    :cool:

guthriesmith likes this.
  25. Odd things pop up for sale.
    2 speed for a model AA truck according to the owner.
    F9630045-70B5-4939-9432-7FCE4FAD3446.jpeg

26. Fordors

Fordors

Here's an article from Hot Rod Deluxe that has a lot more detail on the Saginaw 4 spd./OD conversion.
    Ironic isn't it, that many say print is dead yet we often see something on the HAMB that comes from a back issue of a magazine and it is info that cannot be found anywhere on the interweb. ;)

Scan_0327.jpg Scan_0338.jpg Scan_0339.jpg Scan_0340.jpg Scan_0341.jpg Scan_0342.jpg

27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I did not read that whole article but I wonder why they drilled the 4 seed case instead of using the 3 speed case. Also the solenoid is different from the others because of how it mounts the shaft has to be longer. I think some of the later Ford pickup solenoids will work.

It looks like the AMC trans would fit a Ford and even use the same clutch. Not sure about the pilot bushing end of the input shaft. The T90 top might fit there are a couple of them with slightly different bolt patterns.

28. 5B6CAB7F-F7C6-4BB3-849A-D68FC5AE5270.jpeg
    jeep t150. That shift tower would look proper in an old ride AMC used em behind 6s and v8s. Not a long run 76-79. Cars got the side shift.
    Internets says it shares the common ford bolt pattern and input.

29. Well. I was kinda bummed about the broke gears. The guy has been sending me pics of his parts stash and I’ll believe he’ll make good on the parts. He thinks he has all or most of the pieces for a Saginaw OD set up.
    But I forgot I had a plan B. I forgot I bought a crashed 64 c10 last fall. Was wrecked in 71. Has 30k miles on it.
    Just checked. Has a complete 3speed set up.
    54395C2A-0853-4B48-A654-58DFB67D735B.jpeg

Truckdoctor Andy and Cosmo49 like this.
  30. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Backing up?