Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Walk through the junkyard yesterday

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is one heck of a lot of stuff done back in the day that gets resurrected as a new phenomenon...I always say many were way ahead of the times...and some made a killing with those smarts...others just faded away...only to see someone else bring the idea back and make a killing 2nd time around...lifes like that...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    Tman and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Cool pics...thanks.

Moriarity, lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  3. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I know the owners and they are far from being morons. The newer car inventory is all online and they ship worldwide. Thankfully they saved all these cars so parts would be available today rather than selling it all earlier for the quick buck.

4. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am building a 1948 Austin A40 Dorset 2-door and I bought two Austin Devon 4-doors from Goose Lake to steal parts off of.

Austins from MN.jpg

5. Reminds me of a line from "Field of Dreams" when a ball player asks Kevin Costner, "Is this Heaven?" when he sees the ballfield. My vision of Heaven is a huge Junk Yard (Salvage yard) where all of the parts that you are looking for are right there, readily available, and reasonably priced. :D;)

6. low down A

low down A

people that prefer dealing with people face to face and practice the lost art of conversation over the grab the almighty buck anyway possible are not complete moron's as you have stated. the owner of that junkyard is living in a different time than you and i bet he thinks your a complete moron for selling on ebay

tractorguy, Thor1, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  7. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the pix Mark. I didn't know about this yard, guess I'll have to go exploring.

i.rant, Moriarity and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. gatz

gatz

interesting; no plants, grass, weeds, or sheep visible. How is it kept so “clean” ?

tractorguy likes this.
  9. Is this still owned by @396skip? Great guy to deal with!
    He answered my want ad for a 41 Super Deluxe bumper, sent accurate pictures and shipped it to me cheap. Also threw in the brackets!
    Wish they were closer, I would be there once a week!

10. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

soil contamination...

tractorguy likes this.
  11. This thread got me thinking. My 51 GMC needs a smallblock (new daily) and you used to be able to hit the yards or machine shops and pick them up like cordwood. Started looking in earnest last week since the only one I have might not be feaseable to machine/build. NADA! Even GM dropped their inexpensive crate. So, I am on a mission to call around to some of these older yards and see what might be hiding

12. No kidding! Have you noticed that the price of a big block dropped out? I asked my machinist about a 1979 454 just the other day, a buddy told me he'd take $600 for everything. Machinist didn't seem interested. I asked "isn't that cheap?" He said "well it used to be, but since the whole world wants an LS (as he held his arms outward, looking around the machine shop) they just ain't bringing it anymore.

13. Squablow

Squablow

Yup, big blocks are a tough sell unless they have numbers and codes for some of the popular muscle car restorations (then they're huge $) and all flavors of small block Chevy are becoming nostalgia engines. I'm glad I've got a small collection of early ones stashed away.

14. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Great pictures! This is the kind of yard I dream about. Tall grass and bare trees....cool breeze blowing through the broken windows. So many stories there...if only they could tell them.

15. Big Dad

Big Dad

This ??

16. Big Dad

Big Dad

tractorguy likes this.
  17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

right, people would rather make less money and talk to people face to face than make more money over the internet. selling over the internet is not "making money any way possible", it is making MORE money the best way possible.

I turned several $200 -$600 cars into $2500. - $3000 as my side hustle. this guy is turning them into useless rusty junk and it is a business.

18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yes he did.. I think last week. he lived about 5 miles away from me. He was the "go to guy" for high performance tuning in the area for decades..

lothiandon1940 and tractorguy like this.
  19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Skip owns French Lake auto parts, they have THOUSANDS of vintage cars in the yard and are great people to deal with. he is @396skip on here

20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

You bought those from French lake... not Goose lake, 2 different places

lothiandon1940 and tractorguy like this.
  21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Hard to believe those cars were once someone's pride and joy. Kinda sad.

22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Probably, I know that recently they sold a complete 64 Riviera and a complete 62 Impala from the yard

lothiandon1940 and indyjps like this.
  23. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for posting Mark!

lothiandon1940 and Moriarity like this.
  24. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Moriarity Thanks man. This reminds of the last time I walked through a junk yard with my dad. 1976 in Sundance,WY.

25. 1952henry

1952henry

You need to take a trip north. Could possibly scare one up in the yard I was referring to.

Tman likes this.
  26. May have sourced a rebuilt 283 locally from a pal!

27. 1952henry

1952henry

Nice, hope the deal goes through.

Tman likes this.
  28. Thanks for the correction. I need to read closer. Read GOOSE and brain said FRENCH.

29. Man, I remember roaming through the junk yards back in the day, now with all the insurance & liability involved with the "salvage yards" they are off limits here. HRP

Moriarity likes this.