Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Barn (Garage) Find '52 Merc.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomfordman, Apr 8, 2022.

1. Sounds great…my 54 drove like a dream…and just for the record….that car needs WW…it’s a Merc…

RICH B, SS327 and WalkerMD like this.

2. It needs whitewalls!

3. The '59 wagon is one of my bucket list cars. My dad had one, which got wrecked just before Xmas of 1963. Supposedly a 312 T-Bird engine with a 3-speed stick.

4. kustomfordman

kustomfordman

Time to clean up the shop while I contemplate tire choices...blackwalls, whitewhalls, bias, radials. Points of contentions and many schools of thoughts. Meanwhile, everybody out of the pool for shop maint. Head to head. Speaking of clean-up, there has been several mentions of the Flitz brand for bright work polishes and paint. Is there any one Flitz product for both, or is it one for bright work and another for paint. I'm guessing the Merc.'s paint is a lacquer and no clear coat. PXL_20220410_172000125.MP.jpg PXL_20220410_172018154.jpg PXL_20220410_172039461.jpg

5. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just go to
    flitz.com
    There is a variety of different flitz products to choose from.
    On the topic of the tire choices, since the Mercury is a runner and is able to move now. You might want to make a couple of cardboard cut out templates, to spray white paint on, in the size of what ever white side wall you think you might want to invest in, tape them to the existing black wall tires, and then get some good shots of the side views of the Mercury.

As I have stated before, this particular Mercury you now own, is equipped with black wall tires, and original wheel covers, and that slightly visible red of the wheels. That little bit of red, is a subtle element that really works with the blackwalls, but that is just my opinion. The black walls worked on the cool ranch wagon !
    At least with the white template, made of cardboard, you can then see, if the whitewalls are the way you want to go, or not.

Again as stated, " That Mercury is one kick ass ride "

chryslerfan55 and '28phonebooth like this.
  6. kustomfordman

kustomfordman

Dang-it, tires are expensive! Not debating the cost, just dang-it! Any suggestions on supplier? DiamondBack or Coker? Or is there another? I am leaning towards DiamondBack.

7. Love the Merc! Nice score for sure. As for tires, I'm very happy with my Diamondbacks.

8. kustomfordman

kustomfordman

Thanks for the compliments.

A few longer trips over the past few days. The Merc. seems to be dependable so far. A little dead spot on throttle tip in....gonna change the accel. pump linkage to see if that helps. Also, seems the overdrive does not engage. I just pulled the lever while in 3rd, so not sure I am doing it correctly. Will look into this.

Ordered the Diamondbacks yesterday.

9. Squablow

Squablow

I think you have to get up to speed, then let off the gas (but no clutch) to engage the overdrive. I think if you're in the gas at RPM's the overdrive won't engage. But someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

10. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

The overdrive operates as follows:
    Push in the lever under the dash
    Get the speed up to approximately 27 mph
    Let up on the accelerator
    The overdrive should engage
    A kickdown switch is under the accelerator
    The overdrive will drop out when the speed is below 27 mph
    The overdrive lever can be pushed in while underway,
    but never, never pull the lever out while underway.
    Love that car, I have whitewall Diamondbacks on my '57 Fliptop.
    Ernie

chryslerfan55 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  11. Jones St.

Jones St.

You need to brighten that paint? Go back to post #7. Research that link & learn how to preserve that paint.

12. Big Dad

Big Dad

I like your plan

13. kustomfordman

kustomfordman

Thanks! Your instructions are almost verbatim to what is in the owner's manual. I will try again.
    PXL_20220414_013151417.MP.jpg

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  14. kustomfordman

kustomfordman

Still unable to embed when the video setting is set to public.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
  15. Hmm...video says I need to sign in when I click on the link. Maybe the privacy settings are what kept it from imbedding correctly?

16. OG Ford lacquer wears like iron. I had to remove it from where I mounted my hood scoop. It was an effort to get through it. I'd say the Merc should polish up well, but not easily.

17. 1low52

1low52

Love your car(and story)!
    The white wall /black wall/radial/bias debate is endless.
    It all depends on you and the look you're going for.
    I go back and forth with my cars and have decided to not decide.
    I keep sets of both mounted on my tire rack and change them for a different vibe when the urge calls.
    Your car/your choice. Love it and have fun!

18. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

If you’re able to get both set's of tires mounted it’s like having Sunday shoes (white walls) and sneakers (black walls). I agree with 1low52, best of both worlds.

Ron Funkhouser and 1low52 like this.
  19. kustomfordman

kustomfordman

Diamondback wide whites are on order. In the meantime, I swapped over the wheels and tires from the '59 for some perspective. For a minute I liked the look, but now I am over it. The rears are too big anyways....those are 17" wheels and it is over stuffed. Now my '59 is pissed at me. I look forward to the Diamandbacks on the red wheels. I did take the Merc. out for a cruise and the radials feel good. Also, the overdrive works, now that I know how to use it. The dang thing runs so smooth its hard to feel/hear the RPM change when the overdrive engages. So give me your opinions on the wheel/tire combo.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, nochop and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  20. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As stated before, because of the black paint job, black walls really work well for your particular Mercury, IMHO.

If your Mercury had a white roof, then I could see how the wide white walls would be preferable.

But since you are going to use the red wheels and hopefully the original wheel covers, then to my eye, black wall tires will look great.
    As they do now in the pictures that you have posted!

Your Mercury, is very kick ass, and it's cool that it functions as well as it does!

chryslerfan55 likes this.

21. Um....uh.....NO!

22. I’ll take the heat here....that thing needs whitewalls and please tell me you got some choice hubcaps and aren’t running red steel wheels without em? And you ordered 15’s, correct? the Aerostar springs and blocks are on the way?? It’s a Merc...gotta be classy... won’t take much...and ya can throw all the stock stuff back on it..should you feel the need

23. 1low52

1low52

You asked for my opinion,
    It looks great both ways, but, it's a Merc. It is, and always has been, a classy car.
    I can hear it screaming WIDE WHITE ME! lol

chryslerfan55 and loveoftiki like this.
  24. kustomfordman

kustomfordman

Wide whites and 15". Just wasting time with the switch from the '59 and wanted to get the Merc. up to hwy. speed...couldn't do that with the original bias tires that are coming apart. The black wheels and rims are going back on the '59. Planning on running the stock red wheels and Merc. wheel covers....for now. Gonna go with the dropped uprights to start. Looking into dropped leaf springs for the rear. 2.5" drop in front and maybe 3.0" in back. Gonna start on paint restoration this coming week. A light rub with clay and rub and soak with Mequires #7. Sharing window decals. PXL_20220416_235904712.MP.jpg PXL_20220416_235932443.MP.jpg PXL_20220416_235943478.MP.jpg

25. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way cool !
    Most impressive !

26. Sounds like a good plan

27. kustomfordman

kustomfordman

Perhaps I should follow the owner's manual advise on customizing. A rear wiper? PXL_20220417_001852054.jpg PXL_20220417_001914785.jpg PXL_20220417_001935558.jpg

28. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Cool project will be a great cruiser

29. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

You sir, have scored a very cool car. Congratulations! To me the plan you have for it is spot on. The dropped uprights and lowered rear springs should bring the stance down nicely, and improve the ride and handling in the process. I'm a whitewall guy, and with stock hubcaps or maybe a set of Lancers (no Fiestas please) and the hint of red rims showing against that black paint, you're set. You might even check out how it looks with those skirts on. I hope you enjoy every mile.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.