Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical White wall tires

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ssdoug, Apr 10, 2022.

1. ssdoug

ssdoug

I need some help on what is best . Iv'e searched here before on this but can't seem to find anything now . Thanks

2. Brand? bias ply? radial? what type of car or truck will they be used on? city or highway? HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  3. Hotrodderman

Hotrodderman

I have been real happy with the Diamondback Wide Whites I have on my roadster. The side walls do not "brown" like other brands will do. A quick clean up with awesome or simple green cleaner and hose off and done.

4. 1947coupe

1947coupe

I have Diamondback wide whites on my 47 coupe, they have been great and I just clean them with water and a Mr Clean magic eraser.

olscrounger likes this.

5. Super/Stock Poncho

Super/Stock Poncho
    from Missouri

Running Diamondback wide/whites for couple years now. Very Happy! Will never go back to Coker again

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Diamondbacks for me too--3 sets no problems

Hamtown Al likes this.
  7. firemangordy

firemangordy

8. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I’m running Diamond Backs on my ‘46
    They are BFGoodrich’s that they put the whitewalls on.

I am extremely satisfied with them.

2D9758B5-4F78-42A3-B535-14E10B61633C.jpeg

9. The Diamond backs are new RADIAL tires with a whitewall vulcanized on, If you want bias ply tire the folks at Diamond back can't help. HRP

10. Got Diamond backs on '53, love the neck out them. Had enough of the Coker rejects, now made in Mexico. Almost had a wreck on my coupe, when they threw off the balance eights, because they were so out round. Only had about 10 miles on them, at city speeds, then when I hit 60 the _hit the fan.

lurker mick likes this.
  11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have Coker bias plies on all of my old cars and have had numerous sets over the decades and never a complaint. balance easy, run true and my cars are a smooth as a gravy sandwich at 70 mph plus, But I think I may be the only one that has never had trouble because of all the bitching I hear about bias plies 61.jpg 40.....jpg vette3.JPG 55ccr.jpg astorian2.JPG

12. 2D2187B5-2E08-4145-B54C-C02A29CA8C19.jpeg I’m running Coker Firestone bias plys and they’re smooth as silk at 75.

13. Your not the only one Mark, must of the guys just use radials now.
    I used Coker bias plys on my deuce pickup and never had a problem.

[​IMG]

VANDENPLAS, 210superair and Moriarity like this.
  14. BTW Mark, If you were from the South, your analogy of smooth as a gravy sandwich sure misses the mark. around these parts gravy is lumpy. :D HRP

WalkerMD, VANDENPLAS and Moriarity like this.
  15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you already have tires, consider Port-a-walls.
    I've used portawallstore on Epay.
    100_6939.JPG 100_6961.JPG

16. dwollam

dwollam

Those look really good in the picture! How well do they work with radials? Have you run them very long?

Thanks and sorry if I'm trampling on the OG post.

Dave

17. My Diamond Backs are actually B.F. Goodrich, with the numbers ground off the outside surfaces, but all info is on the inside surface.

18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Dave,
    I ran them on radials for almost 10 years on my Panel Deliv. and no issues. The Cabriolet is a new build and I've only have about 1/2 of last summer on those... they are a great inexpensive way to go if you already have good tires....AND port-a-walls ARE traditional;) 9.jpg

19. ssdoug

ssdoug

Thanks for the help . I have a 30 Ford roadster with Coker tires That have been balanced 3 times . Never have I had a set of tires this bad . I'm done with them.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  20. FORD FAN

FORD FAN

Mine are Coker Firestones, albeit blackwalls . They are perfect, though. They balanced fine and are very smooth at all speeds. I do have pristine original steelies; maybe that has something to do with it.

21. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Coker bp's also here. I love um. I want it to drive and handle like an old car, so no radials for me.
    Screenshot_20220411-080441_Gmail.jpg

v8flat44 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  22. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i had 3 sets of diamond backs ( great tires great company) . my last 2 sets cali tires same process as diamond backs same brand tires same quality and a lot less money logo.png 101_1454.JPG 235-75-15-3inch-228x228.jpg 101_1491.JPG

Hamtown Al, 40FORDPU, hfh and 5 others like this.
  23. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Stogy and deadbeat like this.
  24. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Are those the Auburn Bias look radial tires on that car in the pics? I just ordered a set of those from Diamondback I’m really hoping they will improve the ride/drive of my ‘40

25. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

What ever brand you buy, hurry up and get em on! My 30 had Diamondbacks.

Attached Files:

deadbeat and hotrodjack33 like this.
  26. verde742

verde742

gosh How I love white wall tires , makes any car look better IMO

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

I'm planning on the Diamond back Auburn Deluxe white walls for my 48 . There are only one or two events nation wide for a custom truck to show up at that are nit picky enough to diss you for radials that look like bias tires. That and I don't want to spend a thousand bucks for ill driving bias tires every 20K. I installed a lot of Firestone deluxe tires in the early 70's and about the best mileage you will get out of a bias tire outside of a Vogue is 25 K. That is 20 years of driving or more for some of the most ardent Bias tire supporters on here on their cars.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  28. Donald Pokorny

Donald Pokorny

Calli tires are on Hankook. Round and smooth, balanced with small weight, wide white and less money. Made my 56 Pontiac roll great.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  29. I've not ran them yet but today 4 bf Goodrich wide whites will be here from Coker. Bias ply. I spent 40 on the alliance membership And saved 106 on my Coker purchase.

Jrs50, deadbeat and Stogy like this.
  30. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I have B.F. Goodrich wide whites on my '46 Station Wagon. The reason I like the B.F. Goodrich is that they are a national brand and if you have an issue there are hundreds of dealers that can service your needs. I have also heard that Diamondbacks are also an excellent tire. I will never purchase a Coker tire again as long as I live, pure junk despite what others have said.