Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration opinions! torn between two heaps 55 or 57 OLDS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ThisOneGoesTo11, Apr 10, 2022.

1. Hello,

zeroing in on my next project....

1.Heap 1 : 55 Olds, local, original V-8 starts/runs, 1970's fuzzy interior, probably transmission leaks galore...no brakes $5500 (local there's a good running Olds 350/trans for $300...)
    2.Heap 2: 57 Olds super 88, OT Chevy 350 swap + 5 speed, 80's street rod mind set victim, dechromed!! , bare door panels , cheapo red paint ..no word on if it runs, or how well...$10k with extra olds 394 + Slim Jim trans (no selling point to me)

Attached Files:

2. gatz

gatz

The 57 is a hdtp and if it has the 3-pc rear window, (can’t quite see well enough) I’d go for that one.
    Those are not that common. Just my 2 cents

On edit, looked at a few samples online… the Super 88s had the 3-pc rear window.
    The 98s did not

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  3. ^^^^ This. The '57 is by far a more stylish car.

ffr1222k, Marcia, Gasser 57 and 6 others like this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I have always had a love for 57 Super 88s ever since my dad had a 57 four door hardtop with a J-2 Tri power in it back in the 60's. I think he owned that car longer than any other car he ever owned.
    Looking at the 57 the only dechroming was getting rid of that ugly Olds emblem in the middle of the front of the hood and removing the Olds letters from the grill and probably decking the trunk lid. Why you young guys think cars have to have every frigging piece of chrome on them plus some more is beyond me.
    The engine and trans don't do anything for me but that would let you drive the car until you get a proper Olds engine and trans ready to put in it and for me that would be a 455 and Turbo 400 or at least a 400 and Turbo 400. That body needs to be pretty solid, straight and nice outside of cheap paint though.

As for the 55 the post car doesn't spin my wheels and I see a bumper that needs probably 1500 spent on it for new chrome. It's just a solid looking car that doesn't do much for me.

5. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Which one do you REALLY like, myself I'd go for the resale red hardtop because it looks so darn nice:)

6. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Which dash do you like better?
    Your going to be looking at it mile after mile.

7. Thanks guys, I thought I'd post on a Sunday night as we all sip our sleepy time teas or other beverages....I Love the 57, those jet exhaust tail lights, love both dashes. I came of car awareness age 1975-78...when no one could tell a Ford Granada was different than a Mercedes! according to the Ads. So I love the Jet age styling. To me I need all the chrome: love the jet planes on each front fender! Love the globe emblems on the 55 it has a "two lane black top " vibe... The 57 could be a great cruiser with OT Ls1, I assume the 350 in there is marginal or won't run ,thus no mention of it driving.

I'm Checking both out this week for basic fitness and serial number tag in p!ace at drivers post location, that could be an issue with either. Never could find out if 55,57 had frame stampings for serial numbers. I got burned once in that regard. Never again ! ...stay tuned. Yes the 57 is three rear window like a 98...

dana barlow likes this.
  8. HOTRODNORSKIE

HOTRODNORSKIE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Olds is a cool car in the 50s period. But if I had to choose it would be the 57.

chryslerfan55 and dana barlow like this.
  9. I like both for what they are. Personally, I would pick the 55 post car because I am not necessarily a hardtop guy. But, I do like the 3 piece rear window in the 57 hard tops too. I almost bought one of those 57 hard tops right before I bought my 56 Fairlane. Anyway, looking at both is a good plan. I have come to like the ones that have been messed with the least. Years of people screwing these old cars up is the biggest turnoff to me on any old car now.

10. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

57 10k? Seems a little steep from here. Although it is a hardtop

56don and guthriesmith like this.
  11. You want a tuna boat or a runabout? There's a lot of difference in the 'feel' of the size of those two cars. One is on a par with a tri-five Chevy, the other is a cruiser, on the threshold of 'too big to fit a standard parking space'. 455 and a TH400 would be my choice in either... I'm a fan of SBC, but NOT in a BOP!

bchctybob and BigDogSS like this.
  12. The OP has a '64 Merc Park Lane.... the '57 would be downsizing! LOLOL!

I've always felt the '57 Olds was the best looking of all of GMs offerings that year. Smooth and sophisticated, needs little to be a sharp custom. The Buick runs a close second.

13. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

The ayes have it. My Uncle had a 57. ( seems every 57 model was cool ) He was born 1914. He kept it 15 years, and was proud to show anyone that it could lay rubber at will.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMO the 57, seems all the 57 cars were kool, in general 50's 60's are " IT "

15. '57 would be my choice

16. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

is that a REAL yenko to the left of the 57?

17. Budget36

Budget36

No opinion on what you should buy, it’s your money;)
    But of the two I see a “runner” with the front end up in the air and the brakes don’t work? Hmmm

I see the other at what looks like a show/meet with the hood up, surely it wasn’t trailered in…unless it doesn’t run and the pic is years old.

Have you put eyes on either car yet or trying to base a decision on a few pics?

18. I like the ‘57 styling more but I would be concerned about what’s under the paint…

19. v8flat44

v8flat44

I like both years, but, the 57 gets my vote even if it is a "post" car. A friend had both back in the day & the 57 was faster & just cool.

20. The 57 would look d make a nice sled.
    the 55 a nice “hot rod”
    I’d drive either one

bchctybob and VANDENPLAS like this.
  21. Rust? is that red paint hiding poorly repaired rust?

anothercarguy likes this.
  22. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

just my opinion, im more of a 54-56 guy, but that sedan isnt worth what they want for it. plus swaping a later engine and trans is not all that easy in these cars. id buy the 57. by the time your done doing that sedan you will have the same money into it as buying the 57. and the 57 is worth more. just my opinion, john

23. Even though its been bastardized with that bowtie engine I would prefer the 57 hardtop. But as mentioned above, unless its pretty nice I think its somewhat overpriced, especially if you plan to change the running gear.

bchctybob and nochop like this.
  24. cabong

cabong

All of the comments in favor of the '57 make me want to '55. Then again, I've always been on the side of the oddball. I see lots of '57's running around, and have even owned 2, but at this point in time, that '55 could be very cool...... Plus, old Rockets are bitch'n !!!

guthriesmith likes this.
  25. SS327

SS327

If it were me I’d buy them both. But I’m STRANGE like that. Then the next week I’d be out looking for a 56. If I did get the 57 I’d be ripping out the small block and stuffing in the 394 and Slim Jim so fast any heads around would be spinning. But it’s your choice and your money. What do you want to end up with?

bobss396 likes this.
  26. I'd go with the '57. Pull the sbc and stuff the 394 in it. Un-customize it and repaint.

olscrounger likes this.
  27. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I'm just an Olds sucker! Or is that an old sucker? Anyway I like em both my Dad had a 57 more door for years when I was a kid and I loved that car. Helped my brother Hot Rod his 56 hard top years ago as has been said in the end the money will be about even. That's my two cents. Joe

guthriesmith likes this.