Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods STALLED PROJECTS?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 4, 2022.

1. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

2. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

One thing about a stalled project, is that for me, I won't buy another one. I have one 57 Chevy apart, won't buy another one. Have one Corvette, won't buy another one. I guess by keeping one in the garage prevents me from getting another one. So I wonder why I keep looking at the ads.

chevy57dude likes this.
  3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

This last ran around 95. I attended the first GG Rhinebeck nationals, there was nothing wrong with it I just wanted to make it better. I was 48 then and could do anything. Well it's almost done but so am I money is not the problem ambition and enthusiasm is.

Pat

9CA17795-A865-4656-9EEB-3736BC372B82.jpeg

4. cabong

cabong

Hmmmmmm..... Just sorta think'n....... dodge 230.jpg

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thankfully, not permanently.

upload_2021-9-10_16-43-36~2.png

chrome_screenshot_1649014825022.png

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

This was 2 years ago. I wasn't even there ... HPIM8065.JPG

chevy57dude and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. error404

error404
    from CA

my entire life is a stalled project, I just jump from one project to the next, get a little done here, then move on and get a little done on something else, :rolleyes:

8. rusty valley

rusty valley

I can relate to that ^^^^

bob b. and chevy57dude like this.
  9. It takes commitment. When I got my old 54 on the road I was using borrowed space or the space at the Rod Shop I worked at. I had over a solid year getting that one on the road. Lots of evenings by myself working on it after shop hours. When I built my Touring it was basically 2 solid years of nights and weekends to get it from rusty field car to a rolling painted hot rod. That was probably 50-60 hours devoted to the car a week.
    These were both pre kid. LilT was helping me a lot when we got started on the 51 GMC but as he got older the sports and homework precluded that. Now with a job that allows me to take 8 or more weeks off a year all of that is going to reverse ;)

chevy57dude and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. 4ever18

4ever18

I’ve been “building” an early 1960’s drag car inspired 1934 Ford 5 window coupe for roughly 20 years. Very little of the original project remains. The original body was replaced when I bought a much better one. The guy that bought the old rougher body built & sold it a few years ago. I’m now on the 5th frame for the car - when I found a better one, I bought it and sold the other one. The goal was never to quickly build the car, it was to see how well I could build it. I now have the pieces to build a very nice car, but the thrill of the hunt is now gone. Over a period of 20 years, life brings about different priorities & goals. Will I ever resume work on the car, who knows. From time to time, I work on some facet of the project- but only when the mood strikes me. That’s one of the nice things about being retired and near 70 years old, you do what you are in the mood to do and feel no pressure to do something else. The project isn’t a living creature, requiring food & attention. An inanimate object can sit and wait on me. And, if I never finish it, someone else can either build it or part it out when I’m gone. I own it…. It doesn’t own me. Am I envious of those that stay focused and work most every day on their project? The answer is no. That’s what they want to do. For me, I’m content to work at/on my car whenever “the Spirit moves me”. Pretty, warm, sunny days, I’m more inclined to get on the Harley and go log a few “knees in the breeze” miles. Cool, rainy days are garage days.

11. As cool as that is the car has been molded around this beast
    63DFD4BE-0236-4929-99E2-EEAD06412548.jpeg

rod1, chevy57dude, brando1956 and 3 others like this.
  12. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9 month stall to assist a sick younger woman from her death bed to health.. secret…organic foods , massages , kindness and kept her away from Doctors and got her off most medications.. 1F3AB7CE-0044-491F-AB9F-D92073483533.jpeg EE2BAD90-60B0-46B1-BD5A-809AE5745550.jpeg

Blues4U, -Brent-, LAROKE and 7 others like this.
  13. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

That’s about the most bad ass thing I’ve read in a really long time. Get after it!

chevy57dude likes this.
  14. ken bogren

ken bogren

Pretty much describes my whole life at this point.

But I did sell my 61 f100 which clearly met the description, big dreams, no progress, gone, only took 17 years.

LAROKE and chevy57dude like this.
  15. 1pickup

1pickup

Most of what I have is "stalled." The only one that I was making progress on, my chopped '36/'37 Chevy truck, keeps finding ways to push me backwards. Might have to make it stand in the corner for a few years to teach it a lesson.

16. I thinned the herd last year when I had a reality check. Sold a 40 coupe and an early Bronco.
    Trying to work on the 41 pickup some everyday, but just slid off into the ditch with a shop cleanup and reorganization. Still had gas pumps, banger motors, frame table, blacksmith forge and a set of 32 rails stored on my trailer from a move back in Dec. Only a fixed amount of time and energy to dish out.
    Now that Spring is around the corner, the honey do list will come out of hiding.

17. Guilty as charged. One year too new OT Oldsmobile is getting underway this year. Two kids grew up seeing it sit.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  18. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This has hit the wall pretty hard. We have not done anything to this car in almost 6 years. It just sits on the lift all the time. I hoping it gets given back to me but until then, it will just sit
    [​IMG]

chevy57dude likes this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I resemble that, I haven't accomplished much if anything except buy a ton of parts for the 48 over the past few years. No real place to work inside has been a continual issue and today the wind is blowing about 25 mph so sitting out in front of the garage attacking part of it is out of the question.

I was sitting here a few minutes ago figuring out if I wanted to put an OT engine I have up for sale along with some other stuff. I'd kept the car that the engine is in (initials GSI) since I was hit in the rear by a garbage truck and the car was totaled. I've always wanted to put the engine in something but what cash it will bring can go into the 48. I sold the 31 Vicky body and frame I had to buy a car to put that engine in and the people selling the car flaked on me on my way to get it so that saves spending money and time on that project.

I've got two interesting engines that may go up for sale at a swap meet in a few weeks. That would be more money in the kitty.

chevy57dude likes this.
  20. A sub project for my 51 ford coupe is a 53 Buick style steering wheel, that is stalled. Getting the 29 closed cab back on the road is stalled. The highboy 29 coupe with 392 is stalled; it might proceed with a banger motor. A new banger motor for the 29 cabriolet is my only active project now.

chevy57dude likes this.
  21. 1ton

1ton

Stuck is a better word that describes my situation. Kinda like writer's block for a writer. Busier trying to find room in my garage. Nice way of saying that I have too much stuff. Yeah, stuff.
    Squirrel said it best, "Cars for sale".
    Sell a project = cash and work space.

chevy57dude likes this.
  22. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Yes, yes and yes.

chevy57dude likes this.
  23. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Stalled projects. Hmmmmm. Have bought and paid for 5 cars that will be projects for someone else once they are in the shed and prepped for sale so in a relative way they are stalled. Diesel is up in price and it will cost a lot more to drag them all in.
    Found a grove full of HAMB friendly projects but holding off until the current batch cycles through.

chevy57dude likes this.
  24. I don't consider the ones I am pecking away at slowly as stalled (2 Hamb friendlies & 1 OT) but I have several others that I definitely consider as stalled, as in not touched for a couple of years! Seriously considering selling a couple that are waiting in line (57 Pontiac I was going to build a Gasser out of & an OT 67 Marlin) Some days I walk around the shop & think to myself....I may have bitten off more than I can chew, but like any other addiction, we just can't stop!:D

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

hrm2k and chevy57dude like this.
  25. wicarnut

wicarnut

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Yes, I'm slower than slow, I keep picking away at it.

chevy57dude and Lil32 like this.
  26. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

No More At 74...Let The Other Guys Have Fun...I Be Done... 539284~1.JPG

27. cfmvw

cfmvw

I'm pretty good with seeing projects through; the key is to not take on too much at once i.e. blow it completely apart and get overwhelmed. I do have a mountain bike build that got sidelined, and a 1934 Delta table saw that needs TLC, but those will get done... eventually... someday...

safetythird, -Brent- and chevy57dude like this.
  28. raven

raven

That's me but in reverse. I have many projects that I was actually making progress on but care taking and then losing my wife in January has taken all motivation from me. I've got all my A's for sale now...
    r

29. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

define stalled ! sometimes you got to step back and re energize . sometimes it takes longer than others . and everything seems to be taking longer , lately ! stalled and quit are not the same . until you admit defeat !

30. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Not stalled but waiting. I was deep into a 40 sedan project when a 55 Sunliner found its way to me. I decided that at 73 (4 years ago) getting a convert done first seemed prudent. 55 is on the road with bugs pretty well worked out, ok so I am not very fast, so sedan project is back on.

MO_JUNK, charleyw, LOU WELLS and 2 others like this.