Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Quotes to live by...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Apr 2, 2018.

1. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

No matter where you find yourself, there you are.

2. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Some days it is the best way to get an intelligent conversation!

3. tommyd, lothiandon1940, jim32 and 3 others like this.
  4. jnaki

jnaki

“We all have our own brand of crazy, our own dreams, hopes, wants, loves and heartaches.”

Hello,

If our high school teachers knew what we know today, it would have been an easier way to cope with the trials and tribulations of growing up a teenager in the 50s-60s. Their knowledge was ok for the times, but we needed more, as we can see these days. No one was around to help us do the right thing.

We had to see and adjust to just about everything that was being thrown at us. For some, it was ok, as it was not as hard to adjust and cope with the outcome. Our parents were in another dimension and their ideas were usually not fitting into our So Cal teenage lifestyles.

Money had no meaning in teenage situations. It was talking with your close friends, coming up with some solutions and trying them out to see if they worked. No one else was the wiser if it worked and even if it failed to have the results we wished for at the time. It was investigate, do some research and see if it would fit the situation with the least amount of damages to everyone, including us.

Jnaki

In looking back, we did the best that we could, live to society’s standards within reason and make a way to get along with others during our “growing up” stage. Those decisions look ancient, now, but whatever was happening in the ways to cope with “things,” were the steps that we see today, as good citizens and productive people that get along with others.
    upload_2022-3-4_4-44-47.png
    Didn’t we all get the lesson to “get along with others” as a little kid’s mantra? For some it worked and for others, time has not changed to make our society safe and healthy. Teenagers, today are coping with something that has totally affected their high school years. Their heartaches will be different from ours… YRMV

5. tr_rodder

tr_rodder

"Putty and paint will make it what it ain't";)

6. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

7. 59elcaminodave

59elcaminodave
    from Md.-De.

My Dad always said
    PEOPLE ARE CRAZIER THAN ANYBODY

8. Another one of my favorites is this, I wanna rock and roll all night and party every day.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. moldyoldy

moldyoldy

When it comes to paint strippers, or other chemicals, always look for the skull & crossbones on the can, that's your symbol for quality....

10. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

i'm easy to get along with....just ask my ex-wife

11. My ex would say I'm easy to get along WITHOUT!!

Hollywood-East, Boneyard51 and Thor1 like this.
  12. Buy once…cry once….

Cooon and Boneyard51 like this.
  13. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Both my ex wife's reached out to try and reconnect years after the fact. No thanks, 3rd time was the charm.

50Fraud, chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  14. Most people don't need fun to have alcohol.

15. jnaki

jnaki

“When I was young, I wanted a life filled with travel and girls...
    Now fate has shared exactly that, and has achieved my goal… “

Hello,

As a teenager reading as many magazines and books as possible, the feeling was that a life filled with hot rods, drag racing, travel, and surfing was the future. Add in some friends that were girls and the scenes would be complete. Traveling the world's coastlines, surfing every chance I could get was on my teenage list to do after high school.

Sponsorships, saved incomes, and a scholarship from the good old parents would go a long way for the planned travels. Ha! We can all be dreamers... As the old song lyrics goes: “Two Girls For Every Boy…”

Jnaki

Now, all of these years later, my life has come around and the teenage dream has hit its intended mark… I now have two girls to go along with all of the road trips and air travel we have done in our “together” lives.

European coastal vacations, Hawaii surf adventures, So Cal coastal trips, Northern California surf spots, Baja Mexico trips and even Mainland Coastal Mexico vacations have lightened up our lives until the pandemic.

The Two Girls?
    They are: My wife and granddaughter… Ha, so someone was listening to those early teenage ideas and thoughts. Life is complete, goals attained... YRMV

16. jnaki

jnaki

“The ocean, it does not care who you are or what you do or how much money you have. It treats everyone the same… We have the same salinity, we all have a link…”

Hello,

In our coastal surf oriented lives, along with the countless hours on the water, sailing, the ocean has taught us all what it means to persevere. Sailing against Mother Nature makes one adapt to the situation at hand. If the wind blows hard, then adjust the sails to get where you want to go. Adapting is a way of life in all aspects of our lives.
    upload_2022-3-18_5-11-29.png
    If the 9-10 foot longboards don’t fit inside or on top, adapt to the situation. (In the rear door window opening they go in place) Or ten years later, get a surfboard that fits inside of the 327 powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery with the door closed.
    upload_2022-3-18_5-12-21.png
    Or, adapt by using another car from the arsenal to make the transition easier. A 1965 El Camino with the 7’6” Lightning Bolt Surfboard securely in place.
    upload_2022-3-18_5-13-3.png

Jnaki

The great Pipeline master, Gerry Lopez once said that “Everyone gets caught inside when surfing.” We can all attest to that true statement. In surfing, as in life, sometimes a wall pops up to hinder forward progress… power through or adapt… YRMV

“You have two options: give up or paddle outside. Life is the same. Keep paddling.”

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Those who write on shithouse walls
    Roll their shit in little balls.
    Those who read those lines of witt
    Eat those little balls of shit!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Well if the Queen had balls she'd be the King.

enloe and Boneyard51 like this.
  19. " if it's got tits or tires, it's gonna be trouble!"

tr_rodder, X-cpe and Boneyard51 like this.
  20. bluesman

bluesman
    from spring tx

When your dumb you gotta be tuff!!!!

tr_rodder, Boneyard51 and Thor1 like this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

“Intuitive sparks are a function of creativity and analysis, rolling against each other…”

Hello,

Ever since hot rodding began with modified mom and pop cars, creativity has always played a huge part in “what comes next.” Something in the right side of the brain functions to get the creative juices going. From the old time, add an extra carb to taking off the fenders, speed was the factor. Go fast was the mantra, it just took different ways to get there.

Along the way, car racing in all sorts of ways began. We all like to see speed in a particular place and drag racing was built for such a place to witness creativity that led to some top builds and of course, speed. To paraphrase a beloved children’s TV show… “one of these guys is doing his own thing…”

The Sidewinder actual sound and action from 1959.

Jnaki

A Paul Nicolini design, and Joe Mailliard Speed Shop techniques and speed records.
    upload_2022-3-25_8-22-59.png

As pertains to HAMB hot rods and drag racing:
    "...a function of creativity..."
    upload_2022-3-25_8-24-40.png

Attached Files:

Boneyard51 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. verde742

verde742

a toast ::
    Friends may come and friends may go,
    for friendships peter out you know,
    but we will be friends thru thick and thin,
    Peter out or peter in.

23. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

All successful marriages end in death.

jimmy six, Thor1, X-cpe and 1 other person like this.
  24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

"the only thing that is cheap any more is me - and I and not worth a plugged nickel"

25. As a wise man so eloquently put it, just take those old records off the shelf, I’ll sit and listen to ‘em by myself.

Boneyard51 and Cooon like this.
  26. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

I can't remember if I posted this before or not... ...someone once told me "that owning an old Ford is like stepping on your own balls"

And......if it don't smell good, don't eat it

chryslerfan55 and '28phonebooth like this.
  27. jnaki

jnaki

Our minds aren't bound by any chronological order.”
    When thinking and dreaming, the past, present and future are all mixed up. The writer seeks the facts and they do not necessarily come in order.

Hello,

When we sit down to write story or sit down to draw some art of any kind, our minds wander all over the place. We know that things happened when they did and it would be nice to have them automatically recorded as life moves on, but we know that does not happen. Even when people write novels, it is a jumbled mess in the beginning. Then it gets figured out where to place flashbacks and take a jag to the off center storyline.

I recently saw several hot rod build projects and the story board looked like a children’s timeline of school projects. Things to do, but not necessarily in order. So, our lives are similar. Ideas pop up when and if they get stimulated to expand on them. But, now, it is difficult to fit the new idea in order or in somc chronology.
    upload_2022-4-1_4-24-9.png
    The time period of owning the 65 El Camino ranges from college road trips, city explorations, to surf searches/campouts, coastal long range photo shoots and to desert adventures. So, where are those coming from in the timeline of our history and what makes them spark to the front?

As each one of us has different time points in our own history. If you related it to the hot rods you had, then the stories are bound to happen as they did during that part of the timeline. Separate Baja, Mexico adventures in a 5 year span with different approaches and results.

Jnaki

There are a lot of things from the past in everyone’s history. It must be important when you actually remember those things, sparked by a word, a photo or some storyline from a novel or movie. They all come from the memory blanks just sitting around waiting to be explored.

Our brains are like flash drives with an endless supply of space for storage. Then it becomes like a gate with no key, until someone or something starts banging on that door to open up. Let the ideas and history flow… YRMV

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

29. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

I remember my parents (both aircraft engineers from the '30s through the '50s) saying: "Don't let yourself become close friends with Race Car Drivers or Aircraft Test Pilots, because it will break your heart at their funerals"...

Boneyard51, camer2 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go over , go under , go around , go through it...thats how you get it done...Von Mac

Boneyard51 likes this.