Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 Chevrolet open driveshaft conversion

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kellys Hot Rod Parts, Mar 26, 2022.

1. Im look for information on an open driveshaft conversionfor my 1932 Chevrolet..... I know it can be done just hoping for some info from someone that has done one before I get into it...Thanks !

Attached Files:

2. SS327

SS327

Man, I don’t want to alarm you, but someone stole your fenders.
    What are you trying to accomplish, keeping your original trans and rear end? Or are you planning on a Mouse, a Muncie and a 12 bolt?

3. Country Joe

Country Joe

Must have been the same thief that stole the fenders off most of the cars posted here.

SS327 likes this.
  4. Fresh 194 and a turbo 350 its going to be .my parts chaser...

Attached Files:

TFoch likes this.

5. OZCAST

OZCAST

Call this dude.
    http://www.hotrodstohell.net/
    He made a torque tube elimination kit for my buick. Really, really good welding and quality. Probably no kit on his website, but I bet he can fab up something perfect.

SS327 likes this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

Why not replace the whole rearend? Way easier and cheaper than a torque tube elimination. Are you trying to keep the original brakes?

7. OZCAST

OZCAST

I still had to replace the rear end in the buick, it just gave me an alternative to a 4 link. Not sure, but I'm assuming it's the same in early chevy, but don't know

8. are you trying to adapt a torque tube to the th350?
    keeping the mechanical brakes?

9. Yes....

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

I'm thinking that you will have to machine and fabricate the adapter and probably have to start with a 4 wheel drive tail shaft in the trans. I've got one of those Chev mechanical brake rears laying out here that is going in the next scrap load and from looking at it you have your work cut out for you.

11. im no help then...sorry
    looking forward to seeing your car this summer, fan of 32's

12. birdman1

birdman1

Find a good (old) blacksmith shop. Tell him what you want done. He'll probably figure it out. I get pissed at some of the guys telling people how to build a hotrod. They have very limited building ability

13. rtomss

rtomss

A 40's truck rear should be open with the same 6 lug pattern.

14. trying to keep it closed

15. Budget36

Budget36

They were closed till 54/early ‘55 as I recall.

16. Im wanting to run the original mechanical brakes thats why I'm using the original 32 suspension...

Attached Files: