Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Pigeon Forge insights?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pwschuh, Mar 29, 2022.

1. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I managed to get some cheap accommodation near Pigeon Forge from April 7 - 10. It's rumored to be Rod Run weekend and this will be my first time being at an event there. I know it's a bit of a madhouse, but other than that, any advice from locals or experienced attenders? Must do's and must not do's?

Thank you much.

enloe likes this.
  2. Just so you know, this isn't the Shades of the Past show that takes place in September. You likely knew that already, so I don't know what this particular weekend is all about. It's a beautiful area, but there is an over abundance of touristy stuff all the way from Sevierville up through Gatlinburg. Traffic can be horrendous at times. Smoky Mountain Knife Factory is a fun visit.

Personally, I would take a ride up the mountain to Cades Cove and Clingman's Dome, but that's just me.

Gasser 57, i.rant, Just Gary and 3 others like this.
  3. Looks like the Cherokee Rod Run is 2 weeks later.:( 273367855_4782042421917182_7520960055128550228_n.jpg

4. That looks like it could be a fun event.

Dino 64 and catdad49 like this.
  5. Looks like a new deal, This used to be the Grand Run but has changed hands, inside & outside show, it's just different from what I am use to in Pigeon Forge, I would wait until the Shade of the Past show.

I will be attending the Cherokee Rod Run on the 22-23 of April. HRP

pprather, catdad49 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. First, congratulations on getting cheap accommodations. Rates are usually 50-100% higher on event weekends.

Second, if it’s like “normal” car events held there, expect horrendous traffic on the Parkway. There will be car people, people who come to look at the cars, townies just cruzin, and tourists. Lots of pedestrians. Last time I went it took one hour to go one mile! It can be a real clusterf**k just trying to get anywhere or a spot to eat. Law enforcement is plentiful and strict! The show is located between the Parkway and Teaster Ln. and Teaster will be less congested. It runs from Dollywood Ln all the way to WearsValley Rd. , parallel to the Parkway.

Third, there will be other things going on.
    Dixie Gas swap meet is close by, on Newport Hwy outside of Sevierville. All oil and gas petroliana. Big days are Thursday and Friday. Take plenty of $$!
    Try to do the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail road above Gatlinburg off Airline Rd. at exit 8.
    Cades Cove drive is nice and scenic, also.
    The Great Smoky Mtn. Heritage Museum is in nearby Townsend if you go to Cades Cove.
    Cherokee, NC is close by with a beautiful drive through the National Park.

I quit going to this run, as it was mostly muscle cars, trailer queens, and the swap meet was geared to that, mostly dealers with few private vendors. But it was always big, with the most cars parked in the hundreds of business lots on the Parkway, stretching for a coupe of miles. Bring a bicycle or good shoes.

Enjoy the scenic Smokies !

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    unforgiven, garage2small and enloe like this.
  7. Bush's bean factory and Bean Museum is in nearby Chestnut Hill.

hotrodA, garage2small and jim snow like this.
  8. Me and Duke at the Bean Museum. He still wouldn't give up the recipe.:D;) 09112018.jpg

9. Always a post of a car being stolen after the shows in that area. One of my buddy's had one stolen there. He found it in a barn out in the woods. Took 2 weeks but he didn't give up. Be vigilant.

enloe and wraymen like this.
  10. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Touristy ? This is the definition of a tourist trap , the trip their , through the mountains was more enjoyable than being there ! And the prices , for everything were jacked up ! If you want scenery , the " tail of the dragon" is pretty close , That's worth seeing & driving !

enloe, Jim Hewitt and wraymen like this.
  11. Take a short drive over to Maggie Valley and take in the Wheels through Time Motorcycle museum, even if you are not a motorcycle enthusiast this place will knock your socks off. HRP

12. HerMink

HerMink

Do not pass up on the Dixie Gas Show, even if you are not a collector, its a must do and free.

There is also a deer farm/petting zoo near the Dixie show, if you have young ones (but I mean I actually enjoyed just as much).

13. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Goats on the Roof". Exactly what it says!

mcsfabrication likes this.
  14. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get scared off when muscle cars and crazy traffic are mentioned in the same sentence.

ramblin dan, enloe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. ....Same here.

16. Rj27buick

Rj27buick

Tail of the Dragon and several other road “trails” in the area are beautiful. Someone above mentioned Clingmans Done. Well worth the trip

enloe likes this.
  17. gene-koning

gene-koning

Take in the Smokies and the surrounding area, skip the car shows!
    My wife and I rented a cabin in the mountains just south of Pigeon Forge for a week. That was a great time. Visit the cities Tuesday through Thursdays, visit the country side and the Smokies on the weekend. Weekends in the cities are crazy, and the prices are higher, a car show makes it 10x worse.

pprather and wraymen like this.
  18. Tail of the Dragon is incredible! The most fun you can have on two wheels or well handling four wheels. It’s not a road to do a leisurely take in the sights drive though. Some of the best riders/drivers go there to test their skills, 300 plus curves in 11 miles. Even a lesser skilled rider (like me) can have a blast but it is dangerous. If you just want to cruise and take in the sights there are many other roads in the area better suited for that.

garage2small and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

We have never made it to the Spring RR but the fall one, tons of times. Here is some help from experience.
    A. It pretty much starts at Wears Valley Road and goes to the far side of town. Both sides of the road.
    B. The parking spaces, if you are in your hot rod, adjoining the side walk without much exception, are
    city property and are first come, first serve.
    C. go real early in the AM and you can park for free at the trolley station behind the old Mill restaurant
    D. Paid parking about halfway through town. This is my choice. Go to Wear Valley, and turn there. West, I believe. There is a light for an access road behind town. Left there. You are heading up behind the main drag. Parking for 10 bucks a spot. Got a trailered car? 20 bucks. All day and it is safe.
    E. prepare to walk about 20 miles a day. Also, DO NOT get stuck out in a red light at an intersection, That is how they raise money in that tourist trap, Tickets.

20. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Plenty of great suggestions and advice here.Ive been down there many times for Shades as well as vacation time.
    A short drive east to visit the Vanderbilt mansion was time well spent on one of our trips along with some time on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
    We also drove the Tail of the Dragon in our coupe and for me it was a “once is enough” experience.
    The Apple Barn serves up some great food, I would suggest you go early.
    Enjoy! :D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. Moedog07

Moedog07

Do enjoy your stay! Do eat a lot while there. Plenty of restaurants. Take drinking water and a hat, just in case. Walk, look, enjoy!

Cruise your classic up and down the main drag (Parkway 441) unless it's the family-truckster.

Don't be discouraged by the crowd.
    Some people are walkers and except for humans not having brake lights they are fine.
    Some are driving motor scooter chairs and drive like they want you to join them in the motor scooter chair club. Ask how I know, after an agressive driver and I met I was limping for days...

Don't be shocked at inflated prices, remember you brought water, drink. Adult beverages can be had later at your accommodations.

Don't not enjoy looking at a lot of cars and projects. Some people even had parts for sell in parking lots.

i.rant likes this.
  22. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I love that area but I've yet to go there and not see at least one accident where someone's rear ended someone else. Too much to look at on that parkway and hard for people to watch the road at the same time. Even harder if you have just left the taste sampling at The Smoky Mountain Moonshine Co. Tried some called Blue Flame. About 130 proof. The guy there said it was guaranteed to start fights, start divorces, and start farm machinery.

23. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for all of the tips! We won't be taking a car to show and our hotel is actually in Gatlinburg, so we'll be driving over Saturday morning and looking for a place to park off the strip and then walking to see the sights.

Understand that there are many other things to do in East TN, but I figure if we're going to be there on a show weekend, I've got to see the madness just to say I did. We'll be back again another time to see the other things.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. If you or your spouse suffer from motion sickness skip the tail of the dragon, Brenda and I have been on it on motorcycles and in my old roadster many times but the last trip we took our twin girls and they both got sick! HRP

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  25. redo32

redo32

Hey Danny @HOTRODPRIMER, The wife & I are going to be in Gatlinburg the last week of November, hope the weather is still fair so we can see the Park and BR Parkway and touristy Xmas lights. I'll have to call Wheels Through Time, they usually close about that time. Anything else we should see or be on the lookout for?