Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 53 Plymouth Cranbrook

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by YaDude, Mar 22, 2022.

1. YaDude

YaDude

Hi everyone. I just picked up a new project and had a question because I’m new to the Plymouth world.
    I wanted to replace the steering wheel with a Mooneyes style steering wheel but the guy there said there is no adapter for that car.
    Does anyone know a good solution or alternate cool steering wheel that will fit?
    Thank you

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Every Plymouth or Dodge I've driven got a Chrysler or DeSoto top of the line wheel stuck on it ...

Hnstray likes this.
  3. gene-koning

gene-koning

Mopar used a rather big hollow steering shaft between the steering box and the steering wheel until into the early/mid 60s. The horn wire runs through the tube!
    If you want a cool wheel (other then a different Chrysler wheel), you either have to make your own adaptor, or modify the top end of your steering shaft. The bottom of the steering shaft is part of the steering box.

4. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

Paint your stock wheel custom. Flake, candy, pearl, whatever. Then it's really custom, not store bought. Just a thought. Me personally, I kinda like my stock 53 wheel.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A short search shows that right now we need someone who has an old horn kit catalog from way back when I was a teenager to dig it out and see if there was actually a horn kit for that car ever built.

This may be the one but I wouldn't spend the money until one of the Mopar guys confirms it. NOS VINTAGE SUPERIOR 500 HORN ADAPTER KIT STEERING WHEEL 1952-60 CHRYSLER DODGE | eBay

This is a Superior 500 number 168 horn kit for those who don't click on links.

6. YaDude

YaDude

Thanks guys. I really like the idea of painting the steering wheel. I was just thinking of a replacement because it is so big and I’m a short guy.
    But it’s not that big of a deal and painting it would be more fun.

7. j hansen

j hansen

Dodge -48 White Pearl. IMG_7399.jpeg

8. YaDude

YaDude

Awesome! I suppose I will need to also clear coat it to protect the paint from my hands?

9. How do you paint a steering wheel ?

that would be a neat and cheap way to get a custom wheel

I did one a while back and it chipped and peeled off pretty easy .

10. j hansen

j hansen

I did not paint this one,,,,but it is always the right prep and the right paint process.
    Yes, clear coat will make it last longer and it looks better,than 1 stage paint.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  11. Mine was badly cracked, went with PC7 epoxy, sanded and sanded. Primed and painted using Duplicolor paint. Looked good for a while, now cracks are coming back. If I had power steering, it may have not cracked as badly. But you need a big wheel with manual steering, keep that in mind.

VANDENPLAS and j hansen like this.
  12. j hansen

j hansen

^^^^^^^
    Thin cracks are a hell to fix, you have to make them bigger!
    We use this kind of tool,works on plastic, fiberglass or carbon fiber.
    And it will hold up. dremel-125.jpeg

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. j hansen

j hansen

This is a OT car,painted in legalized water paint,only car paint allowed in EU!
    And with clear coat. Skärmavbild 2022-03-24 kl. 13.02.14.png Skärmavbild 2022-03-24 kl. 13.01.57.png

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. BurtBaccarat

BurtBaccarat

Is the only issue adapting the horn? I thought there was a fitment issue with adapting an aftermarket wheel? I’ve been dying to put a new wheel on and have only been told to find the elusive Grant/PIP 3311 kit…

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

No, the horn kit is not the only issue. But it may solve or indicate what else is pertinent. For example, shaft diameter and spline count….which are the main factors. It is possible to safely replace the upper steering shaft section but the manner and quality of the modification is very important to your (and others’) safety.

Ray

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Alternative to paint is hydro dipping. Practically any image you can print from a computer can be applied to any surface and then clear coated.
    I have had wheels "wood grained"
    upload_2022-3-29_11-15-54.png
    and marbled
    upload_2022-3-29_11-16-42.png

j hansen, Davesblue50 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  17. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How spendy of a process is hydro dipping?

18. Davesblue50

Davesblue50

Will have to look further into this..​

19. jaxx

jaxx

20. BurtBaccarat

BurtBaccarat

For sure it’s got to be safe…any idea what the size and spline is? I find it bonkers that there are no options out there that will work to adapt, but it really seems like that’s the case….

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Perhaps you could pull the steering wheel and measure/count the shaft particulars.

Ray

22. indyjps

indyjps

Do you shoot clear over the hydro film ? I bought some woodgrain hydro dip film but haven't tried it yet.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, hardened clear. My roadster wheel is the woodgrain one above and it has been top down and driven for a few years now and no evidence of wear.

indyjps likes this.