Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Nailhead buick in a 1949 plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Merik Hjelmstad, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Merik Hjelmstad

Merik Hjelmstad

i recently blew the 6 in my 49 plymouth business coupe and i see that as a good opportunity to swap the 63 buick nailhead and ST400 i have into it, but im wondering if anyone has stuck a nailhead in a 49, if so im wondering what you did for motor mounts, clearance under the hood, the gas pedal linkage, ect.

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They were putting Buick V8’s in everything during the 50’s. Chrysler hemis were put in many early Mayflowers without removing the front clip. At that time Hurst may have made a front mount and guys made side bellhousing out cardboard and then steel. Waiting for boltin is a waste of time, remove the hood then the engine trans and start measuring. Hot Rodding at its best. I put more 55-57 Chevrolet throttle linkage than any thing else.
    Get started and have fun.

bchctybob likes this.
  3. If the transmission is a 63, it is a Dynaflow, not a ST400, which came out in 64. Chassis Engineering makes a cross member and motor mounts for the Nail. Probably going to have to shift the engine over an inch or so to clear the steering box, and use exhaust manifolds off of a 61 LeSabre, such as the ones pictured.

Attached Files:

bchctybob, Hamtown Al and rockable like this.

4. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

If it was mine and looked anything like this one, I'd fix the six or find another one to drop in there.

49plybcoop.jpg

5. Back in the late 1960's there were 3 guys that rented a garage in Glastonbury Connecticut. They were all into Buick Nail-heads. One of the had a nail-head in the same style Plymouth as you are asking about. It was a hell of a sleeper.